(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

@Raionus is the word field no longer editable?

I love how my ‘maintenance mode’ plugin doesn’t actually stop anyone from visiting the site while I’m doing updates :ok_hand:

patch notes incoming

4 Likes

Just wanted to chime in that I would not recommend AngularJS and would rather recommend VueJs or React due to the heaviness of AngularJS (it is mainly intended for huge data projects) and the time it takes to set something up in Angular compared to the other techniques.

I think the other techniques would be much better suited, especially for fast development.

2 Likes

ahaha, I was pretty impressed to find new and exciting things appearing every time I clicked onto a different page :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh god the maintenance page hasn’t been working for the last month has it

3 Likes

I’ve certainly never noticed one :joy:

1 Like

Update 6/7 - Lessons screen update

Potato quality gif

Changes

• Everything
  • Edit screen has an entirely new look
  • Autofill fields on new words/kanji (see the top right ‘A’ button) [still being tested]
  • Search
    • Now searches the dictionary AND your account
    • Collapses similar words (this will be good 90% of the time and bad 10% of the time)
    • Doesn’t look like complete garbage (now maybe it’s like recyclable plastic tier)

And some other stuff probably anyway prepare for bugs lmao

Also press f to pay respects for the old edit screen, just in case we forgot how ugly it was already

5 Likes

Wow I have no idea what these words mean.

1 Like

A bit late to the conversation, but I do agree with @Dschee that more data is always nice.
Even if it’s not directly displayed, it would be nice if you had an api to expose, for instance, the rough location of all occurrences of a word throughout the book…
I already have a bunch of stats and graphs I want to make on my use of floflo :slight_smile:
At the same time, I also understand it’s not a priority at the moment, BUT, it would be great if it was in the feature backlog…

Kitsun uses Vue :wink: Probably the easiest to begin with if you’re used to Jquery or vanilla JS (I’m guessing you use Jquery?)

Edit: just inspected your html etc, seems like you use a wordpress page builder for the frontend?

I’d agree with @flippantry that you might want to consider switching to a javascript framework to handle the front end, that way you’d also be able to scale more easily than using a wordpress website

Edit2:
That said, the longer you wait with it, the more effort it becomes to switch in the future if needed.

3 Likes

Err, just a thing.
I just put in my email address plus a wrong password by accident.
The interface said

ERROR: The password you entered for the username [redacted] is incorrect. Lost your password?

Where redacted is my actual username.
That sounds extremely insecure, as an attacker can easily check if a given email address is registered or not…

1 Like

Plus in this case it sounds like they get your username into the bargain.

1 Like

I still don’t understand very well the distinction between Lesson/vocabulary/Trash etc… in floflo.

Example : During a review, I came across “飛び出す”. But there is a mistake on the card, the reading is wrong, とだびす instead of とびだす(I probably made the mistake in the past when editing the card), so I wanted to fix the card. I closed the review with the blue arrow on the top right, went back to the “lesson” page… But now… I can’t find at all my card 飛び出す. It’s not in lessons, not in vocabulary, not in trash or leech. The only way to find the card it is to use the search function (with magnifying glass icon).

The purpose of “vocabulary” is not to list all the words the user is actively learning right now ?

Edit : Ah, I got it ! The array of cards can only display 100 items at a time, but I have 173 items in vocabulary right now ! Because of this limit of 100 combined with the fact that sometime card jump back to lesson (If you get them wrong too much I think ?), I was confused quite often at where my cards were…

Yeah, I think that’s it. It shows them in order of when you last reviewed them, so every time you do reviews they appear at the top of the list and push the existing ones further down.

It would be nice to be able to search your vocabulary list specifically as well as generally across the site though, even if all the words can’t be displayed at once. You can’t necessarily get at the ‘card’ you need this way (like if I search via hiragana, it only shows me the kanji item and its associated reading, rather than the hiragana item I got from the book).

Also… I think we no longer have the ability to edit the ‘word’ field, which makes me sad. Now I can’t do your ‘kanji hiragana swap’ thing anymore…

I haven’t checked, but the update note mentioned that you can still access the old edit menu with a shortcut. It doesn’t work in there either?

About that parameter, I’m interested in going into the core6k eventually. What tool do you use for those words and how do you set it up? If Anki, what deck do you use?

Ah whoops, didn’t think of that. I’ll have it fixed soon.

Most people use an Anki deck. Some people use the subscription service iKnow, where it originated. I’ll probably have it upon my website at some point. I already have the word list on the database but I’d rather not do any hiragana guesswork if I can help it.

I went in and modified the errors to be less transparent.

‘Vocabulary’ orders by last reviewed so you can find stuff from your review sessions easily. If you’re looking for something specific use the search function below the tab-table. It has been updated to suck significantly less :smiley:

1 Like

I just used this and added the words I didnt know to houhou or anki as I worked through it.

Thanks! I’ll be using that deck.

Thanks! No rush.

I think you’ve accidentally changed something in the reviews pane: the text on the ‘meaning’ bar is now white there as well as on the reading bar, so it’s hard to read.

1 Like