(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

When I setup a new account on koohi, I ran into an error with my chosen password:
After some experimenting, I found that although the period ( . ) is listed as an allowed special character, I would get this error whenever I tried to use it.

On an unrelated note, are you going to fix the title for Yondome wa Iyana Shizokusei Mahoujutushi? It still says “Yontabime…” when I look at it.

@Raionus
I have noticed Books have a smaller word count on Koohi. Is this because it parses more accurately than floflo?

Sorry had my two class-heavy days of the week just now

Transferred your and @DosonTheGreat’s trash yesterday.

Hmm, I’ll think about what to do about it.

Top right, if you didn’t figure that out yet (I know it’s been like two days)

I added pagination just now. Tell me if there’s still any issues with your word count with that included :+1:

I also tried to port over Jitai. You can turn it on in the options menu on the SRS. To my understanding you need to have the fonts actually installed for jitai to work, so you might want to grab M PLUS 1p and Kosugi, which are the default Japanese fonts for the website.

Granted I don’t actually use Jitai on Floflo or otherwise so I don’t really know how it works.

Thanks I’ll look into it!

Oh thought I already did that lol. I’ll have it fixed in a sec

Not necessarily more accurate, just more stringent on what’s included in the list. EDICT has a frequency rating for entries rating from ~-50 to ~900. Koohi removes anything with a value of less than -10 which is either super archaic words or mis-parsed trash. There’s a few false positives but usually it’s long strings of kana that got cut up wrong.

1 Like

Thanks a ton!! :smile:

I personally use the font randomizer to practice reading harder-to-read (handwritten-style) fonts, but I already installed the ones Jitai’s author recommends when I picked up the script for WK :slight_smile:

Just a few (generally smaller, hopefully easier-to-address) things this time:

1. Because of the way pitch accent is shown, maybe reviews should always test the user on the reading first, before (ever?) asking for the meaning? In the interest of not giving away/spoiling the reading’s answer during the meaning’s review.

2. Failing #1, since custom-made terms obviously have no pitch accent to show, should they at least just prompt the user with “meaning” instead of “[THIS TERM’S READING’S ANSWER]'s meaning” ? (I guess there are some extremely rare fringe cases where the same kanji term can be read multiple ways, though, where this clarification would be super nice to have)

3. Pressing “spacebar” after providing an answer to see the item’s info also advances to the next review at the same time… I don’t think it should do that

4. On Flo*Flo, I was able to edit terms during the review session and add “readings” to kana-only reviews (because I think having to type them out might help me recall them better, even though the answer is obviously as easy as reading it off my screen). Could this functionality maybe be added to the new site as well? (Ability to add valid readings during reviews)

5. In addition to #4, maybe there could be an option to require answering readings even for kanji-less terms. I might be the only user who would toggle it on, though :sweat_smile:

6. Many of the terms I test myself on don’t gloss cleanly/easily to a single English translation, in which case it’s super helpful to see the full (or at least, a fuller) list of all available synonyms. I’d definitely love to see more than 3 synonyms when I hit “enter” :pray:

7. I noticed that the keyboard shortcuts that worked on Flo*Flo also work here, but unlike Flo*Flo, there doesn’t seem to be anything indicating to the user that those shortcuts exist. The site would be more attractive to newcomers if all its functions were made plain to see :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s always the case. Unlike Floflo Koohi isn’t random

There’s a lot of terms where it matter, but yeah they’re uncommon. But yeah, it’s not just custom words that don’t have pitch accent. Real words also don’t have pitch sometimes, it just depends on whether or not it was available in the NHK’s pitch dictionary.

The technical reason, is that the reading is there because if there are differences between the definitions available between different readings, only the definitions available for the reading you answered with are considered correct. Ex: you could type とき for 秋 but you can’t answer with “Autumn” in that case.

I’ll consider making the number of synonyms a UI option. I’m hoping that the example sentence corpus will be a better way to figure out nuance, but who knows how long it’ll take before that gets finished

Oi yeah. I definitely should.

Thanks for the feedback

1 Like

I’ll have a go! I’m currently using the wanikani context sentence script and I think you could copy the format. Basically whenever a vocab item pops up in reviews it just draws randomly from one of the three example sentences in wanikani and shoves it into your face with the vocab item highlighted.

It may be seen as somewhat cheating since you’re given some context, but most of the time I end up ignoring the sentence anyway and just focus on the highlighted word. It helps me when I’m sometimes struggling with a word and I read the sentence to see if it can give me a bit of a clue.

I guess ideally you’d want to be able to toggle the context sentence on and off to see if you can get a word without it then toggle it on to get some help. For lessons, being able to see all the context sentences might be great c:.

1 Like

So, err, I see the reset password function is not implemented yet on koohi.
Is that a thing that will happen soon-ish? Asking for a friend.

2 Likes

Good question mate. I have to figure out how to setup an email server.

1 Like

Update 5/4 - SRS Options, Timer Modes & More Book Data

SRS

• Added several new SRS options
  • Timer style lets you turn on various different “wrap up” modes by clicking the stopwatch icon on the top right of the SRS
    • Best one is mode 3 IMHO. You can set it to automatically submit your answer after X seconds which keeps you from spacing out during reviews/taking too long on each question
  • Added WK’s Jitai (more or less) Font Randomizer

Library

• Continuing to fill in metadata for books
  • You can click the aux links button on the top right of a book’s info box to see useful links
  • Added custom descriptions for various websites
  • Found a nice website called because.moe which lists where you can find various anime if you live in the west. Hulu not included unfortunately but usually there’s something there.

Anyway, school has been kicking me arse so I’m a couple days behind. I’ll handle the next set of transfer requests + new month’s book uploads when school gives me permission to breath (should be Thursday latest)

Also thanks to that Trinity guy for posting Copyfish, I’ll start looking into manga again. If I can scan up a transcript for a volume in less than 30 minutes I might start adding them to the website.

7 Likes

No problem! I’ve used it for quite a bit, so just @ me if you need help getting it to work. :+1:

4 Likes

The wrap up is not doing anything when I click it at the moment, and the console gives this error

2 Likes

Update 5/10

Added 7 new items to Koohi.

• Anime
    • Somali
    • Shirobako
    • Blackfox (movie)
  • Books
    • Jitsuryoku Shijou blah blah
    • Stuff
    • Re Zero 6

Just gotta get it up on Floflo next, then do the transfers and stuff

Fixed, I think.

It should default to standard wrap up if you enter an invalid value for options 2/3. Aside from that, option 1 should default to a value of 3 (how it was working before the update) or whatever value you choose if you bother changing it. Tell me if that works :ok_hand:

5 Likes

It seems to be working exactly as intended for me now :+1:

1 Like

Hey, I tried to generate the vocabulary list described in this thread, but when I click on “generate” as a logged in user, the following error is returned:

notes-common-v2.js?ver=8.4.2-202020:32 Uncaught ReferenceError: Backbone is not defined
    at notes-common-v2.js?ver=8.4.2-202020:32
    at notes-common-v2.js?ver=8.4.2-202020:158
admin-bar-v2.js?ver=8.4.2-202020:2 Uncaught ReferenceError: _ is not defined
    at admin-bar-v2.js?ver=8.4.2-202020:2
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:48 JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.1
?title=book_majo_no_takkyubin_1:376 1 =
?title=book_majo_no_takkyubin_1:377 false
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:92 {"tables":["book_majo_no_takkyubin_1"],"list":"simple","version":"1.2"}
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:64 Setting table using local storage
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:115 main script start: 0.443115234375ms
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:80 Array(223)
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:74 ERROR LOG:
TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
{"tables":["book_majo_no_takkyubin_1"],"list":"simple","version":"1.2"}
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:92 null
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:64 Setting table using default values
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:77 settings is
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:77 Object
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:77 cookies updated
autoptimize_7bce5bb1994fd3fa4ccb3d9fce3fb12c.js:107 Object
?title=book_majo_no_takkyubin_1:1144 asdfdsf
?title=book_majo_no_takkyubin_1:1145 Array(1)
?title=book_majo_no_takkyubin_1:813 Object
?title=book_majo_no_takkyubin_1:813 Object
1 Like

Hey, what’s up? I have no idea how to fix it, and I have no idea why that bug only appears for some users.

Floflo is old and I run a thing called Koohi now. It’s an improved version that’s better in every way. Consider checking that out

1 Like

@Napthalene

Dang I have no idea when I’m gonna get around to that whole email server thing. Just because of the way the system works, I could delete your account and since your words are stored on a separate table they’ll still be there if you recreate your new account with the same email/name combo

Wanna just go with that for now?

1 Like

Yes, let’s just go with that, then :sweat_smile:
Can you send an email to that address as well? I’m 99.99% sure of the address, but I’d like to make that 100%

Thank you! I’ll check it out right away~

1 Like

Lol, I also realized I have no idea what e-mail address I’m using in floflo. When I eventually migrate hope it can be shown somewhere.

@Raionus That said, why is the data tied to an e-mail and not username if the e-mail is not even used?

1 Like

I created an account on Koohi but quickly realized that it’s not what I am looking for. How can I delete my account again? (In case I cannot, can you please delete it? My username is the same as here. Thx!)