Back to the drawing board

I think in the end everything you memorize is using a mnemonic, but mostly unconscious. Not a story system like for Kanji.

I have the most difficulties remembering the English answer in WK, but I remember parts of the answer like eg. the position of the first letter on the keyboard (upper right, lower left etc.) or that it has only three letters or is extraordinarily long. I also somehow attach colors to vowels, eg an A is blue for me and an E red. It is a mostly subconscious system and I started to notice it only recently. It seems it also connects feelings to words. Like “melee” eg has something very soft and wooly, please don’t ask me why :sweat_smile:
If I wouldn’t have checked the dictionary, I would think about something very cute a three coloured kitten is doing, because it is also stripy (I know this only applies to me, and seriously I don’t know where these associations are coming from).
So I remember: starts in the lower right corner, very soft and wooly and red, and lot of similar vowels of which there is a repeated one and the repetition happens in the end or something like that.
For me, English is easy to remember, but as I am writing this I will try to map it on Japanese words. Eg I could imagine to feel a color connected to radicals. And soft/ hard to rendakued things.

Actually I thought about making a script to show a different background color for each Onyomi. That would make an instant memorization possible, like red for こう, blue for あん, green for うん, yellow for き. There must be some kind of logical system but I haven’t thought about it yet because I can’t code. But I could try it in my Anki deck! Sorry, I also realized that I am thinking while I am writing. Maybe that’s because I don’t have a person to talk to in real life who is interested in learning Japanese :sweat_smile:

The character I like the best in the WK world is the anti heroic “you” in the mnemonics, I love how “he” (I) stumbles through this mysterious world, I want to be more like him. :joy:

I actually “Woah”-ed out loud while reading your reply! I’ve never thought someone’s memorization way would be so interesting (and so different from me), so much that your ability to attach feelings to words is like a superpower! Amazing :exploding_head:

That is making me so excited to discuss how I memorise things too. I have a routine that starts at the very beginning of the day to go on WK and learn a few words, then, around dinner time, i’ll take a pen and jot down all the words, their meaning and spelling, which i didn’t have a second look after finishing WK’s quiz. They don’t come out immediately, I’ll have to somehow trigger my memory, and they start to come as single, scattered sounds like ち or つ. I really don’t know a better way to retrieve them, and take this as a fun memory-training game. But the interesting thing is, my brain could only remember 2 words short. Eg if i learned 12 words, i could only remember 10, and some days i learned up to 16 words I managed to remembered 14, which is way a lot more than 10! It’s like a psychology thing my brain is playing :roll_eyes:

Prior to Japanese, I had learned English and was very keen on expanding my vocab. But sometimes I’d want to remember a cool word but it’d just come in letters. Like when we’re having a conversation and i say to my friend “Agg that word that contains “d” and “e” or “a” but i can’t remember”, and they’d make weird faces to me :joy:

So, happy to have shared this, and you can always discuss interesting Japanese-related things with me if you don’t have someone irl :blush:

1 Like

I think that’s the same for everyone, it is just unconscious usually. The reason why I am writing about it is, that I thought I lost my memory almost completely, and there is an irreversible damage to it. Anyway, to keep a long story short, there is no evidence of the claim, that memory is “stored” somewhere in the brain and there is an alternative way of thinking every experience gets stored in a field you could access anytime if you synchronize with it (also with the field of other people :grin:). So far so crazy, therefore I am testing now how far I can get believing this to be true (because I have nothing to lose :sweat_smile:).

So one consequence is, memorization happens automatically and instantly and is not restricted by the “hardware” so you really only have to focus on recalling.
Recalling is how you nicely put it, triggering your memory. I realized at some point that there is a lot of stuff connected to any memory (that’s the nature of a field). So in order to connect to a field it doesn’t matter which node you start from, you should be able to navigate closer to your goal by starting at the closest available point and feel which direction you have to trigger to get there. In order to get there faster it is a good idea to mark the position with an (in the best case unrelated) information (the more the better), that’s the function of the mnemonics I think. But it also could be some disaster striking when you learn or an intentional signal you add to each eg vocabulary like a flash of color or a smell. I am testing that now.
(Sorry I am weird :rofl:)

Weekly update time (in case anyone is still interested! XD)

Apologies to everyone I made feel sad by referring to the stories as stupid in my previous post. I’m sorry! I guess they helped a bit when I first started, but I dunno; I guess my brain is just in a state of ‘too many details to remember; move on’. I could be sabotaging myself, but thankfully I’m finding this mostly happens with kanji and vocab I already know; just forgot. I do try to use the stories to remember ones I struggle with… but anyway!

It is now almost 5 weeks since I reset my account. Last night I hit Level 5, but I also hit the first bottleneck situation of new lessons and waiting reviews (does that make any sense?).
I mean this:

that is, I was suddenly hit with a million new lessons (this picture was me about 2/3 of the way through) that I couldn’t do in one sitting, and that meant that the next time I sat down to do them, reviews had started stacking up as well.
I haven’t had that until now; I guess it makes sense seeing as the more helpful kanji and vocab suddenly start streaming in at this level. But I got the familiar sinking feeling of ‘you will never catch up if you don’t nip it in the bud SO DO IT ALL NOW’ which is the main reason I guess I conked out on Wanikani in the first place; it just got too overwhelming.

I am seeing a lot more words I remember learning and using in the past, which is a good sign I think. Maybe I won’t get so drowned this time. ^^;

1 Like

If you just do the reviews first, then you don’t need to drown.
This is not a race ~
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

If this is something you struggle with, have you considered trying to tackle the lessons by doing a consistent number of them every day instead of binging them? There’s no harm in having items sitting in your lesson pile! It only becomes a problem if you abuse the reorder script and have accumulated lessons from several levels back.

I do 10-13 lessons every day, and often have 40+ lessons sitting in the pile until I reach the end of the level, but it keeps the keeps the number of reviews down to a manageable level. I generally only have 100-130 reviews spread throughout the entire day, and I level up about once every two weeks, which is perfectly fast enough for me. It’s nice because I know exactly how much time WK will take me to do every day because the consistent lesson schedule means my workload is extremely predictable and I don’t have to deal with huge spikes of reviews.

Someone might have already linked this, but I recommend giving the ultimate guide to WK a read-through if you’ve never looked at it before. Even if you aren’t trying to go fast (I’m not), it’s an incredibly useful resource for how to pace yourself and get the most out of WK without burning out.

3 Likes

Thank you for that; I guess I do need to learn self control and remember that in a class setting, I wouldn’t be learning that many new things in one go. 10-15 lessons a day sounds much more reasonable!!

I’m not deliberately trying to go fast; I guess things are a bit quicker this time around since I’ve already passed these levels before. I imagine progress will slow to a crawl the higher the levels go (I was previously at 13 I think before I conked out last time).

I hadn’t heard about that WK guide; I’ll definitely have a look. Thanks!

2 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s never too late to come back…

Granted I did have a few periods of studying in that 2000+ day gap, but it’s quite surprising how quickly it all comes back. The knowledge you do retain is very firmly planted, and that gives you a nice base to work off of.

Others have mentioned it already, but I also second looking at the guides others have written reflecting on their experience. Tons of helpful tips in there.

Also, when you’re feeling ready to study TV, there are some REALLY cool Chrome add-ons these days to help understand and mine sentences.

2 Likes

I’m currently sitting on 111 lessons pending. 0 reviews. I am not doing them all at once. That would give me 170 apprentice items and thus 170 items to review often until I get hit with another batch of 100 lessons.

I do 12 per day, plus all the reviews.

I plan on resurrecting individual items once I reach and finish level 60, just to make sure I redo the ones I forgot. But even then, I’ll not resurrect them all at once. I’ll do a batch of 20 tops and guru them before I resurrect some more. There’s really no point in doing 100 lessons and then promptly forgetting half because there’s too many.

Also, there’s no shame in resetting progress. Especially if you have a lifetime membership. The goal is to learn Japanese after all, not just to reach level 60.

2 Likes

Another week, another update (for anyone interested!)

Thank you to everyone who suggested I hold back on completing lessons. I think that has helped the reviews steady out. I have been doing what you said and trying not to do more than 15 or so lessons a day if they’re available (although tonight I just did 35ish, but they were all words that were very easy and came to me before I even read the translations, so I think I’m okay!).

Level 5 is almost completed but a few careless mistakes has meant I’ve got a day or two before I can try certain kanji again. But it’s okay. I am encouraged at what I am remembering… and guess what? Those damn mnemonics have actually helped me a little with certain words I didn’t remember from before. So thank you again to everyone who came to the mnemonics’ defence when I called them dumb. XD

I also checked out the WK guide (well, parts of it!) and found where it suggested using something like KaniWani (where the definition is given and you actually have to remember the Japanese word!). That has been a game changer. Being forced to recall words feels much more practical and real-life. I have been challenged, and it’s been really good, because I can tell I’ve gotten better in the short time I’ve been using it. Now, whether I’m able to recall words away from the app, I don’t know yet. ^^; But it’s a start!

Anyway, thanks to anyone who actually reads my updates. You don’t have to; I guess it’s just a way of keeping me in the game, writing my progress. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re expected to recall words that aren’t at minimum guru, they’re called apprentice for a reason. Practice in sentences and writing down may also help out with retention and making the word stick in your brain

1 Like

Good point.
Haha I am so out of practice for studying…

Weekly check in for anyone interested (again, this is more to keep me accountable, so don’t feel like you have to say anything if you don’t want to!).
Short today because it’s been a pretty difficult week with family things happening; however I have still managed to keep up my reviews each day, so no pile-ups yet.
Still chipping away at level 6, although it looks like I could pass it in the next couple of days if I stay on task. I’ve kept following your advice with the lessons and things remain steady. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bonus update:

Interestingly, today I had this radical as a review and without thinking I answered it as PELICAN

and they still let me have it!
I mean, I learnt it this time round as SPIRIT but I guess I originally learnt it as PELICAN the first time around. When did they change it? I guess none of the stories to go with the radical will have anything to do with pelicans anymore, right?

1 Like

Pelican might be an old mnemonic that was kept for older people, but I remember studying this guy earlier the year and it was already spirit.

1 Like

haha… ‘older’ people… :sweat_smile:

I know what you mean, don’t worry! I first started WK in like 2013 or something so I guess that was quite a while ago now. XD

You’re right! I started just about 10 years ago and also instantly recognized that as pelican just now after seeing your screenshot. I didn’t reset when I started back up a little while ago so that radical is long since burned, and honestly spirit is a much better word for that radical so I didn’t even question it when I’ve been getting kanji like 禅 or 祈 recently.

Neat, I wonder what other adjustments they’ve done.

1 Like

My weekly check in for anyone interested. Not much to report this time but I’m doing it anyway for my own accountability.
My Nanna’s health deteriotated at the end of last week, and this Wednesday just gone she passed away. She was 96 and had struggled with old age dementia for the last handful of years. She had long since forgotten who I was, but she was beautiful and loved anyone who showed her kindness, so we would always get a flurry of kisses and a cuddle. I am so happy she’s no longer trapped by that failing mind and she is completely restored in Heaven. But it is so strange to not have her here.
I somehow still managed to keep up reviews and lessons. I think spacing out lessons has definitely helped with curbing the ferocity that the reviews come at you with. (trying to see positives!)

Ironically, the night before Nanna died I was given 死 and all the vocab level 7 has to offer to do with death, like 死亡、亡くなる、死体… thanks a lot, level 7. -_-
But it did mean that this morning I was able to tell my Japanese friend at church that my Nanna had passed away without just reverting to something basic like 死んだ. So that’s something at least.
(Sure, I figured out that my speaking ability is a mere whisper of its former self (which itself wasn’t that great!) but anyway)
So yeah; on Level 7 and doing okay. It’s gone quicker than I thought; I’m half-way to where I used to be up to! I guess that’s to be expected seeing as I already know the kanji and vocab; it’s in my brain somewhere. I know things will slow down once I start learning completely new stuff. But I’m glad I haven’t taken years to get back to my pre-hiatus level. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Back again… two weeks since my last update, but nothing much to report.
I somehow kept up my reviews during the time I was preparing various things towards the funeral and working during the day, but lessons suffered. I am now on Level 8 but still trying to not get overwhelmed with the lessons and am being disciplined and only tackling 10-15 a day if that.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am really sorry to hear about your Nanna. :purple_heart:
10-15 new lessons a day is the way to go. I used to rush the lessons and do as many as I could each day. I had to scale it back rather quickly.

頑張って下さい!

1 Like