Author and Writer

Hello!

I was wondering about the meaning of this vocabulary.

I am not a native English speaker, but I usually use the word writer and author interchangeably. Possibly the word author would maybe refer to a more specific writer of a referenced book or something, but that’s about all I can think of as a difference between the two. Is it ok to add the synonym of writer to this vocabulary? Or am I missing a crucial difference?

Thanks!

1 Like

The primary difference between them is that a writer is the one who does the writing of a book, script, article, etc, whatever it may be, and an author is the one who comes up with and formulates the idea(s) for whatever is to be written

Often times the author and writer are the same person, which is why it’s seen to be used interchangeably

7 Likes

Additionally, a writer can be for any medium including tv, movies, and songs while an author is book based.

3 Likes

I never knew this! Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Also it’s why so many celebrities are credited as authors when they release a book, because they probably did very little of the writing themselves.

3 Likes

Author specifically refers to writing books, articles, etc. Whilst a writer is more generic that inclues things like songs where you wouldn’t call them a song author but a songwriter.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.