At What Level Did You Nearly Quit?

Ah, no, that was a “2020 never happened” joke. Or possibly “It’s still March 2020. March the 407th”.

8 Likes

Haha, yeah, that’s a good point. After a big screw up, there’s kind of a relief afterwards where everything else doesn’t seem so bad. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve never thought about quitting once I started wanikani but my motivation really hit a wall after I took the N2 in December, felt pretty confident that I’d passed, and the kanji in the levels I was doing were becoming much less familiar so I was having to work harder at learning them. With no test pressure and the work getting harder I had to get myself to buckle down and get back on track. I ended up giving myself a break from progressing, spending 15 days on level 31 (usually I spend about 8 days a level) over Christmas and New Years where I kept doing reviews to pin down the new stuff in the late 20s that was tripping me up. So yeah, I’d guess the experience may be slightly different if you came in with less kanji knowledge but yeah, for me, the late twenties were my first significant road bump having come in around N3 level. I am currently managing a second mini block and thus grinding a bit on 44 to get reviews more manageable, but it feels less intense, probably bc I’ve already gone through this once before.

Some levels I go as fast as I can. Others I’m stuck on for 2 months.
Slowest level was 17 but I was doing other stuff. Took me 90+ days
Hardest level has been level 23. I feel like I have no motivation to study.

1 Like

I have to say the whole range of level 35-40 is kind of a strange stretch. A bunch of kanji that are semantically unrelated but visually similar, with abstract definitions and vocabulary that is pretty uncommon in day to day life. I’m not sure why they chose to put these here, probably just to knock out a bunch of joyo kanji out that didn’t fit in elsewhere. It seems like at level 40 all of a sudden things get much more reasonable.

3 Likes

I was tempted to quit many times, but going by my past forum threads, level 38 was the worst.

4 Likes

I have made 20830 mistakes so far… :sweat_smile:

I haven’t yet gotten to any point of feeling like quitting, but definitely some frustration which mostly relates to mental tiredness seeing 100+ reviews some mornings after waking up. Though I am fully aware this isn’t really that bad considering I’m currently on level 16, so I’ll just march on :sweat_smile:

The only true frustration I have is some of the FREAKING FONTS IN JITAI :triumph: though truly I only have myself to blame because I chose which fonts to use, but seriously they can get very confusing when I try to review based on them, and I’ve got quite a few items bouncing back and forth and becoming leeches because of it…
I can’t remember the names of the 12 or so fonts I got for Jitai but definitely some of them that simulate horrible writing or minimal/lazy stroke order and stuff make things really difficult especially when you’re on a roll, for example:

えと。。何ですか?

あっ、ね。。。。

Well, the one on the right at least is an abbreviation of 門 that you’re definitely gonna see in the real world, so it’s definitely worth persisting at that. Just… maybe get the printed one firmly established in your mind before you start dealing with kanji abbreviations. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah I’m slowly learning to recognise many of the shapes when I get these fonts show up in reviews haha. I do check them if I really can’t figure it out, but sometimes I’m so sure but I end up being wrong :laughing:

I was going at full speed until lvl 42, and then life made keeping up with reviews hard for a few months. Tried several attempts at chipping away at the thousands of reviews in my pile, but was finding it hard to study japanese at all. Eventually reset to lvl 1 (could have gone higher, I know), just to get back into an easy habit of studying every day and I’m really glad I did.

3 Likes

I slowed down a lot during the pandemic and taking about 30 to 40 days a level. I’m also working now and working too much. I occasionally forget burned items and resurrect them and keep plugging along. I’ve never almost given up. But slow is only relative to me. Rate is irrelevant. I’d just get it out of your head the need to race. I see too many make it a competition and thats not productive. This is for you. Only you.

3 Likes

Oh no. This is my nightmare

Oh lol, I thought the second one was 向

4 Likes

Same here at first hahaha

Same. Now I’m more scared of kanji than I was 2 minutes ago

2 Likes

At level 60. :muscle:

2 Likes

for jitai, I completely removed the lazy handwriting ones. I was making a lot of mistakes.
I think now I have only 5 fonts installed.

My reaction to every Armed Banana character:

1 Like

For me, I am on level 5, but ended up stopping for two weeks at level 4 when it really started piling up. Back at it.

2 Likes