Article about how to write the 句点 。(Japanese circular period)

Is it from 12 o’clock? 6 o’clock? Clockwise? Counter-clockwise? A reader asks the Kobe Shinbun, and receives the answer of “Textbooks will tell you to write it clockwise from 6 o’clock, but when I contacted them they admitted they had no directive from the government or documentation to support why it would be that way.”

What way feels right to you? The included video isn’t really an explanation, just people trying different ways and giving their impressions.

https://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/shakai/201706/0010281928.shtml

1 Like

I find it most natural going counter-clockwise from 12 o’clock. It also happens to be the same way i write the letter O.

1 Like

I form it the same way, on the rare occasions I am handwriting Japanese.

I don’t think I ever write it by hand, but when I envisioned it just now, it was counter-clockwise from 9 o’clock. I’m right-handed. As someone who’s been writing from left to right all her life, it makes sense to me that my instinct is the exact opposite of the method described above.

1 Like

You devil. :scream:

I’ve never given it any thought, I’ve just written it as a tiny little circle. Too quick to think of where the start point was. Pretty sure I make circles counter-clockwise, when they’re small(er)… but even that could vary depending on my mood, possibly. (EDIT: Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe I start around 10 or 11? Between? I’m also right-handed, like Caracal.)

Once I became aware of 6 o’clock and clockwise being the method taught, that’s how I’ve done all my Japanese circles (this and the ぱぴぷぺぽ characters).

If I’m writing an O I do 12 o’clock counter-clockwise.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.