Aria the Masterpiece Home Thread (Beginner Book Club / Aria Book Club)

especially if not every page is numbered, which happens with manga all the time, it makes it a pain to find specific numbers

I would hope the beginning of each chapter has a page number, but who knows.

1 Like

My English hard copy (by Tokyopop) has one page number every twenty pages. Like, literally, the numbered pages in volume 1 are 24, 43, 51, 75, 119 and 143. It’s like, why even bother numbering just six of the pages?

The Japanese digital edition has a number on every page which doesn’t have an enlarged panel in the way - in the first chapter, 60% of the pages have numbers.

1 Like

Picked one up from CD Japan, and apparently I’m not the only one - it’s currently listed as the #1 bestselling manga on the site for today. I wonder why

8 Likes

And now it’s backordered on both Amazon JP and CD Japan. I hope everyone can get a copy.

2 Likes

Ordered mine from Amazon Germany. Since it seemed like a pretty good deal, I just ordered the first three volumes for ~20€.

2 Likes

I ordered from CD Japan on the weekend because I’m pretty certain that at the time the website said they had it in stock. Yesterday I received an email saying that unfortunately the item is in temporary shortage and is estimated to be available in 1-3 weeks.

1 Like

:frowning: lucky we’ve got until June to start reading!

2 Likes

I’ve got mine. Am I first? Do I win? :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually, I was quite tempted to buy them all, until the math part of my brain pointed out that it’d cost me almost $200

To add more temptation, they also had Yotsubato volume 14

5 Likes

Woah, that shelf looks pretty though :star_struck:

Wait
 how much did one volume cost you?! Even with shipping just about doubling the price mine didn’t cost that much!

I ordered mine from CDJapan straight away and it’s already been shipped, but we’ve got quite a while so hopefully everyone will be fine before the start date anyway. I love the idea that this little book club of foreign language learners is impacting their top sellers list :grin:

1 Like

I got mine last week (but I also cheated because I bought it prematurely, like a week before the poll even closed :stuck_out_tongue:) It’s so pretty! I was really impressed with the quality.

There must not have been very many copies lying around, if our humble little book club was able to deplete the stock of both amazon.jp and CDJapan xD Good thing we started early!

3 Likes

It’s Australian dollars, but yeah, I do kinda think it ought to be a bit less. I’ve honestly got no idea how they set store prices, but they always seem to be a great deal higher than exchange rates account for

Huh. Just noticed the book has a blurb written in English on the dustcover’s inner flaps. Pretty good English, too.

1 Like

Okay, that might account for it more, though I’m still shocked given that you weren’t paying shipping. Very dedicated of you!

Oh, this is awesome - I already own the 12-volume set of the original Aria in Japanese and have been meaning to start it soon - so if I just buy Aria the Masterpiece volume 1 I should be in good enough shape to read along, yeah?

3 Likes

Yeah you can either buy Aria the Masterpiece volume 1 or Aqua volumes 1 and 2. Then you’ll own the whole series. Though if you get Aria the Masterpiece you’ll apparently miss one side story that we’re skipping for the book group anyway. So either one is good for reading along with the book group, it just depends on how you prefer to collect series.

2 Likes

Okay. I do have the official English release of Aqua so maybe I’ll just grab the Aria the Masterpiece edition - can’t hurt to have the beautiful new art anyway!

1 Like

Well, I did it! I placed the order on Amazon.co.jp and it’s on it’s way!

The pages that were posted seem a little advanced for me, but hey, you aren’t learning if it’s easy!

3 Likes

Reading the first page of anything is always the hardest part 'cause you’re starting from a blank contextual slate and there’s some natural resistance.

This intro is also a special case, since it has to quickly establish that the character is headed to Mars (which is the full extent of sci-fi stuff in the story). After that, from skimming, it gets a lot easier.

3 Likes

I compared with Amazon JP’s prices. If you got the whole series all at once it would cost about 120 USD or 160 Australian Dollars, including shipping.

@Radish8 You’re still paying for shipping when you buy a book at a physical store. It’s not like the store isn’t passing those expenses (at least partially) onto the consumer. Obviously the store has the benefit of buying in bulk to reduce costs, but it’s not free.

Ok. With my Kinokuniya member discount, the whole set would cost me $190.35, or about the cost of adding a whole extra book to the series. Not obscene, but still not sure it’s worth the whole set, even at $160. That said, does that include the shipping costs to Australia, or is it just the cost of shipping to America converted into Australian dollars? Because you can pretty much triple shipping costs when you’re talking about Australia. I’d check, but my Amazon account doesn’t seem to work for the Japanese site.

Now, if we’d had this conversation while I was still in Japan (and, you know, I’d been checking the forums while I was in Japan), I could have saved on shipping altogether. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aye, see, that’s why I was expecting it to be a bit cheaper. I mean, I guess I’m paying for the shop’s costs as well, but surely the shop can also buy the books at a cheaper price than just ordering them off Amazon.