Aria the Masterpiece Home Thread (Beginner Book Club / Aria Book Club)

There’s also a lack of gondoliering in Aria. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Fair, fair :joy: but in this one the diving felt like its redeeming feature…

2 Likes

While I’m not super interested in that manga in particular, I’d definitely join if we continued with some other manga after finishing Aria, regardless of which one(that’s basically the case with me and all the book clubs… unfortunately I’m a bit behind on most of them at the moment though).

2 Likes

It’s been quite a while since I watched/read Aqua/Aria, but I’d say what I got out of the series breaks down something like this:

30% character personality and character interactions
30% plot and scenario (including mysterious situations)
30% appreciating scenery
10% gondola things (such as training and promotion)

Looking at volume 1 of あまんちゅ!, it’s been:

5% character personality and character interactions
5% plot and scenario
30% appreciating scenery
30% diving things (including teaching about diving)
30% “I want to like this series because Aqua/Aria are not available digitally, and my physical copies are currently inaccessible”

This sounds awfully negative to the series, and I don’t mean for it to. I definitely plan to read volume 2 (haven’t purchased it yet) to see where things go from here (although @Radish8’s mention of later characters does not inspire confidence in me).

I will say, the idea of a lack of diving isn’t the biggest issue for me. It’d be nice to see the underwater drawings of various dives sights, but what matters most for me is the character interactions and events. If volume 2 doesn’t pick up/improve in that regard, I don’t know whether I’ll continue to volume 3 or not. (Too soon to tell.)

Edit: I don’t recall just how often gag faces were used in Aria, but I feel they are way overused in Amanchu!.

3 Likes

The faces are used all the time in Aria too, which is one of my least favorite things about the art.

@Ditto20 Are there any manga you’d particularly like to read slowly with a group?

1 Like

I’ve watched the anime. It’s… pretty good, but I’m kinda more interested in the Venice-ness of Aria than the scuba-diving-ness of Amanchu. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Amanchu cats creep me out a bit, though. Those faces…

2 Likes

I’ve only seen the main cat so far. Now I wonder how any other cats will compare with Maa-kun. (I wasn’t a fan of Maa-kun, either design or personality.)

This guy’s kind of grown on me a little:

Ah, Maa-kun’s just a little muppet.

Maybe because his actual name is Aria. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I beg to differ. Maa-kun is the best little muppet.

3 Likes

I didn’t have anything particular in mind, just generally saying I wouldn’t mind if we continue with something else. To be honest, it’d almost be better with something I wasn’t interested in beforehand, because I usually read the stuff I already have faster without waiting all that much(aside from manga that still are being serialized, obviously, but I don’t think those are ideal for a book club) :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Last week of book 6. Two chapters this time:

And since we voted for no break, we will start the last volume next week :tada:
Turns out we will indeed keep reading into 2020, but only for 2 weeks.

4 Likes

Noooooo! I missed this poll earlier… :sweat_smile:
Please can we take a week break (and let me catch up?) :pray:

3 Likes

Also, I changed my vote. So now we can go three weeks into 2020. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Also @seanblue
Sure! Then one week break it is.

5 Likes

Nooo.

Dislike.

3 Likes

Well, at least it is finally here.

2 Likes

It’s ARIA time!

3 Likes

While I’m still behind for now, if I keep catching up at my current pace(1 chapter/day), I should actually be caught up for next week!

3 Likes

But then will you have the will to wait and read with us? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We’ll see!

But I have two other book clubs to catch up on too anyway

2 Likes