Aria the Masterpiece Home Thread (Beginner Book Club / Aria Book Club)

Google Drive may kick up a fuss at some point. No idea what point, though.

1 Like

Itā€™s just I tend to check through previous sheets to make sure Iā€™m not adding something thatā€™s already in a former chapter, and thatā€™s gonna get a little difficult once we start to get up to 40 chapters :stuck_out_tongue: I can just stop caring about that though.

True :see_no_evil: but Iā€™m holding off until we finish volume 1, because I think the ability to update published decks might be a while in coming and itā€™ll be silly if itā€™s missing the last two chapters.

1 Like

Probably a good idea. :wink: Iā€™d recommend just making a judgement call based on memory. That should help avoid the worst of the duplication, but a little bit is no big deal.

1 Like

I will try my best :triumph:

I add words I donā€™t know or donā€™t remember. It doesnā€™t really matter if they were in a former chapter, if I still donā€™t remember them Iā€™ll add them again. For me, it is faster to look it up in Jisho than go searching through the other pages of the spreadsheet, and if I have gone to the effort of looking a word up then Iā€™m happy to share it.

Iā€™m pretty sure there were some words in Kiki I looked up/added every chapterā€¦ :joy:

3 Likes

:eyes:

I donā€™t think my copyā€™s going to arrive in time :pensive: Iā€™m gonna have to take a day off work just to catch up with the book clubs at this rate!

4 Likes

I got the entire set of aria the master piece and for me it would be optimal if vol 2 would be in the beginners book club in a near future. At present I got vol 1-12 (plus 8.5, whatever that is) of non non biyori incomming. I only got vol 1 of natsume, because I wasnā€™t convinced by the first eps of the anime. I think the pace of the beginners book club is fine, but if this branching off-thing is going to become a trend thenā€¦ Iā€™m not going to be able to keep up with reading everything in parallell. I guess it would be fine if reading manga was all I ever did. I guess it would also be fine if I just blaze through the volumes. But right now I spend a lot of time trying to plough through the core 10k deck and I read aria at deciphering speed and harvest vocabs.
ā€¦ So thatā€™s my situation. Iā€™m reading along, but I mostly lurk, so whatever you guys decide on, Iā€™ll adapt somehow.

Thereā€™s nothing stopping people nominating subsequent volumes for the beginnersā€™ book club, but I guess the issue is that it automatically excludes everyone who hasnā€™t read the previous volume(s). The beginnersā€™ book club is an important one to make as open as possible.

You said that youā€™re harvesting vocab; if it would help cut down on time at all, Iā€™m planning to make my Aria deck public on kitsun, and intend to continue making cards for subsequent volumes as well as this first volume of non non biyori. The ability for people to customise community decks doesnā€™t yet exist, and you might not want to use kitsun, but just thought Iā€™d mention it in case thatā€™s part of the time sink (because it sure is for me!).

Iā€™m almost (almost!) hoping non non biyori really sucks, cos then at least I wonā€™t want to keep reading another one :sweat_smile: though Iā€™d probably make natsume the lowest priority, tbh.

5 Likes

I understand where youā€™re coming from, but I agree with @Radish8. I think reading subsequent volumes in the Beginner Book Club adds a barrier to entry to new members. Partially though, I donā€™t see the problem. If Aria the Masterpiece volume 2 was selected for Beginner Book Club, youā€™d read it. If we continued with an Aria Book Club, youā€™d read it. Itā€™s no different. My point being, you donā€™t have to keep up with everything. At a certain point, everyone needs to prioritize what to read.

At this point, we are going to continue reading Aria the Masterpiece in its own book club. Enough people have voted to continue reading, so thatā€™s what weā€™re going to do. I hope you join us and find a way to balance everything.

On that note, this is the last chance to vote in the poll for volume 2. Iā€™m going to write up the schedule soon based on the outcome.

1 Like

Yay! I canā€™t wait to try at Kitsun. (Iā€™m hoping to get my account activated soon.) I tried to make an Anki deck for Aria, but I didnā€™t keep up with it.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t suck! It was a very pleasant read :slight_smile: That being said, it didnā€™t rock my world either. I have other things Iā€™d rather read in the little time I have.
In that sense, itā€™s probably just right for a one shot :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s just what I wanted to hear, thank you :relieved:

1 Like

Unfortunately, I donā€™t use kitsun. I didnā€™t like anki at first but now I that have started using it, Iā€™m going to stick with it. Kitsun seems to gain in popularity everyday. So I thank you in behalf of everyone else for sharing the decks there. A tip of the hat for that. Making your own cards takes time, but it is also fun. I like my own cards more. Itā€™s like knitting your own mittens or something. And it is supposed to make you remember them better. Itā€™s a worthwhile time sink, I think. My biggest time sink is the number of new cards/day from the 10k deck. I can easily just throttle that down. So itā€™s my own fault. But itā€™s so addicting.

I have seen a bit of non non biyori, the anime. It looks very promising. I guess weā€™ll see for ourselves soon enough if the manga holds up.

1 Like

I didnā€™t expect the book club to continue reading aria. I didnā€™t really have any expectations. I guess I kind of expected it to be reading all sorts of stuff. And that seems to be the case so far. I got the whole set of aria because 1) it looks nice on the shelf :slight_smile: and 2) I intend to read the restā€¦ at some future date. Now that future date is going to be real soon. But make no mistake, Iā€™m not complaining about continuing reading aria. On the contrary, I didnā€™t expect it, so Iā€™m happy about it. For now, I think I will try to keep up with everything and see how it goes.

3 Likes

Yep, I definitely like making my own cards :slight_smile: I think Iā€™m one of the few users more interested in that than the community decks! No worries at all, just thought Iā€™d mention it. Look forward to reading with you!

1 Like

Thereā€™s a tie in the poll for when to start volume 2. ć©ć†ć—ć‚ˆć†ļ¼Ÿļ¼Ÿ

@ditto22, @hachiken, @Talena, @Radish8: Did you pick September 8th because your books wonā€™t arrive until then or because you wanted a brief break? Iā€™m slightly concerned with that start date because itā€™s the first week that weā€™re doing two chapters of ć®ć‚“ć®ć‚“ć³ć‚ˆć‚Š and I think itā€™ll feel like diving into the deep end instead of easing in. If we did start on August 25th, do you think youā€™d be able to catch up?
(cc @windupbird. I didnā€™t tag you in the main question since you also voted for August 25th, but I wanted to make sure you saw this in case you wanted to chime in.)

If itā€™s still tied tomorrow Iā€™m just going to decide unilaterally (by removing my vote from one of the tied leaders :wink: )

I initially voted for it because it seemed like I wouldnā€™t be able to get the book in time, but things ended up working out way better than I had expected and Iā€™ll probably get it as soon as next week now(which I had no way of knowing when I voted).

So, when we start doesnā€™t really matter to me any more(as long as itā€™s after next week, which Iā€™m pretty sure all the poll options are)

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™ll be August 25th at the earliest since thatā€™s one week after we start the last chapter of volume 1.

I voted that way thinking that a break might be nice, and not starting the same week as ć®ć‚“ć®ć‚“ć³ć‚ˆć‚Š seemed like a good idea. But you do bring up a good point about reading two chapters the week of the 8th. I donā€™t know what sounds best! Maybe Iā€™ll just remove my vote?

1 Like