Aria the Masterpiece Home Thread (Beginner Book Club / Aria Book Club)

Now I’m even more confused. Wikipedia lists the chapter you’re talking about, making it 10 real chapters and the bonus chapter. But the Japanese copy of Aqua I was looking at online for comparison didn’t have it.

Can someone with Japanese physical copies of Aqua 1 and 2 post pictures of the table of contents?

EDIT: @Belthazar If your copy of Aqua is an official English publication, can also post pictures of the table of contents?

I was checking the original website of Aria the Masterpiece, and that chapter (ヒーロー見参) became chapter 12, part of the second volume.

Other than that, I don’t see any difference in terms of chapters over the first 4 volumes (Aqua 1-2 + Aria 1-2 versus Aria the Masterpiece 1-2).
So it’s a bit annoying for the people who bought Aqua, but it will not matter in the end if people keep going with this series (outside the book club, like yotsubato)

Same as Wikipedia’s listing, basically,

Well that is… downright odd.

I don’t know. If it’s aria-centric, it might work better overall in terms of flow? :woman_shrugging:
(I know nothing of the actual story, so I can’t judge).

I will try to buy the masterpiece edition, anyway. Seems like it will be easier to follow along that way.

I’m tempted to follow suit. Turns out I can order it from my local Kinokuniya, though it’s thirty bucks a book.

1 Like

@Nath where did you find the table of contents on that site? I would love to see the table of contents for the whole series if possible.

I’m still looking for the Japanese Aqua table of contents from a physical copy if someone has that.

1 Like

Apparently that ヒーローの見参 chapter wasn’t Included in the original publication of Aqua. This is from My Anime List.

Note: Chapter count doesn’t include the extra chapters titled “Hero Kenzan” (ヒーロー見参, Enter the Hero!) and “Kaze to Pudding” (風邪とプリン, Colds and Pudding). Both were only included in the re-published edition of volume two released by Mag Garden in 2003.

Aha. Learn something new every day. Sort of explains Alice showing up in the bonus chapter. I confess I’m a little surprised that ヒーローの見参 also wasn’t included, especially considering the art style seems to be more in keeping with Aqua than Aria.

Maybe they decided it was confusing to include a chapter that has Alice since she’s not introduced until Aria volume 3 (according to Wikipedia).

I can’t speak to the art style at all since I don’t have any volumes of Aria yet.

You have to destroy your eyes a little (or zoom a lot) but the table of content of each book is written (in tiny) at the bottom of each promotional cover art.
Example for volume 2: ヒーロー見参 is navigation 12

1 Like

Aye, indeed she does not appear until volume 3. Or episode 3 of the anime.

Like I mentioned earlier, Aqua volume 2 has this little omake panel which hangs a lantern on Alice’s cameo, without really explaining it at all:

Edit: Found it, using Nath’s eye-destroying trick. It’s in Masterpiece Volume 3, between chapters 27 and 28.

2 Likes

Some of you may get a head start… I just ordered from Amazon.co.jp

“Estimated delivery: May 24, 2018 - Jun 20, 2018” :roll_eyes:

In case it’s still needed, here are the Japanese table of contents in Aqua.

!
!

2 Likes

I’ve, um… aquired a digital version of what must be the original pre-2003 print of Aqua, because it’s also missing ヒーロー見参, and has a Special Navigation I’ve never seen before named オセロゲーム. Intriguing. Curious as to why that chapter has never appeared in any subsequent version. That I know of, anyway. (Maybe they put it in the Monthly Undine magazines? I’ve never read those…)

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the version I was looking at for comparison. That chapter is the one-shot I was referring to earlier. I assume it wasn’t included in future releases since it has nothing to do with Aqua/Aria.

Aha. I’d thought you were referring to 風邪とプリン.

Do you think it’s more likely to help or confuse people by included the original Aqua’s chapter numbers and pages too? I’m inclined to just reference Aria the Masterpiece and the newer version of Aqua that @conan posted.

1 Like

I feel like we’re going to be listing page numbers all day at this rate. Though, volume 1’s first and second editions only differ by Navigation 5 starting two pages later in the second edition. Second edition has Navigations 7 and 8 in the same order as the Masterpiece.

One idly wonders how many people are going to be reading the first edition.

1 Like

And here I expected this to be simple like when we read Yotsuba to…

1 Like