Aria the Masterpiece: Chapter 9 Discussion

Oh hey, @MissMisc liked three of my posts in this thread. So are you all caught up then? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

やったー ! Just finished reading, I thought that was a great final chapter =)

This is officially the first native Japanese material I’ve read cover to cover ^^ (I’ve left a lot of manga and books unfinished… :3)

That was a very enjoyable read, thank you @seanblue for recommending this for us, and also many many thank yous to those of you who filled in the vocab sheets, they made catching up significantly more efficient :yellow_heart:

And to top it all off, my volume 2 copy just arrived today! :grin: Looking forward to more reading fun with you all :books::durtle_love:

9 Likes

Feels good to finish reading something in Japanese aimed at native speakers (didn’t manage that with Kiki :sweat_smile:). Can’t wait for what’s to come.

7 Likes

Alright, to celebrate my copy of volume 2 arriving just in time, here are my final questions for volume 1!

Page 291

Top-left panel

Aika mutters this irritated little comment:

ヒメ社長と
アリア社長まで

It’s like, I know all the words but have no idea what she means :sweat_smile:

Context

It’s just after Akari apologises for going on ahead, and rushes off with the cats.

Page 304

Right panel

多少 快適じゃねえのは
ご愛敬ちゅーこった

I’m just… not sure? Is he saying it’s kind of fun, the weather not being ‘pleasant’? I definitely don’t know what’s happening with that ちゅーこった thing going on at the end there.

Page 315

Bottom panel, right speech bubble

時々 胸が
きゅって
なっちゃうんです

What does きゅって mean? D:

Page 317

Top middle panel

みんな 初めて
体験すること
ばかりなのに?

Is she saying “even though it’s only their first time experiencing it?”

Also just wanted to say thank you so much to everybody who has kindly taken the time to help with all my questions throughout volume 1 :blush: I really appreciate it. It’s been really fun reading with everybody and I’m super happy that we’re continuing with volume 2!

Final thought: why do they wear their uniforms literally all the time?!

1 Like

Aria? :slight_smile:

Oops :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Lmao I did it twice, for different names! everybody is Aria :joy:

1 Like

Quick answers since I’m at work.

Probably just Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

Yes. She’s asking why it would feel nostalgic even though it’s only their first time experiencing it.

Ah, I see. Well that’s no help with looking things up, jeez, authors.

Cool, thanks :blush: that’s what I thought, but just wanted to double-check (I was a bit thrown by the みんな at the beginning).

I was also thrown off by the みんな (unknowingly still might be, depending on if I got this right or not). みんな almost always means “everybody”. It is hard to read it any other way. I think this is a rare occasion where it means “everything”. Alicia is saying how this feeling Akari has in her heart is nostalgia. Akari is pondering how this could be, since all these experiences are new (and recent). And the remaining pages goes on to describe how it indeed can be so.

懐かしい?

みんな 初めて
体験すること
ばかりなのに?

My lazy translation of this goes something along the lines of “… nostalgia? But (how)…! These are all experiences I just had for the first time”

1 Like

Also, notice the little きゅっとs in the last panel of page 315 and the first panel of page 316.

まで here means “even”, “to an extent”, “so far as”.
Third definition here: Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary
Also here: まで (JLPT N4) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained

I think we saw the こった before and it might be ことだ. There was some discussion about this sentence earlier, not sure where.

Because coming up with new casual clothes all the time is haaaaard.

(Fun fact from Discourse: apparently I’ve posted 26% of all the replies in this thread.)

5 Likes

Yep, that’s the real world explanation. In world explanation? It’s a sense of pride perhaps?

Also, kinda related, one of the things that impressed me most about the anime Shirobako was the variety of clothing they had to animate.

Maybe my question would be better phrased as “what is she trying to express?” I understand what the sentence means, just not what she’s trying to say, if that makes sense?

Ooooh.

Okay, I will try to hunt down former discussion. I’m happy not understanding this in detail, to be honest - I accept that I’m just not going to be any good at interpreting non-standard speech for a decent while yet!

All I ask is one casual outfit! They can wear that one thing every time they go out!

I didn’t notice that at all, haha! Such a fantastic show - I’ll have to watch it again and keep an eye out :wink:

Maybe it’s similar to the way characters in anime always put their uniform on when they’re visiting their school, even if they’re doing so at half past midnight because they left their phone in the classroom.

Though, since Akari and Aika aren’t wearing their gloves, technically they’re not in uniform…

She has one. Waaay back in chapter one. (Though, I guess that’s a kind of uniform on its own - the “new employee” business suit.) I guess wearing her backpack is her sole concession to casual wear - it only ever seems to come out in “not-on-duty” chapters.

1 Like

I’m just going to have to believe that they burned all of her clothes shortly after her arrival as a symbolic gesture.

3 Likes

I think Aika is just saying how President Hime and President Aria are also running ahead (in a kind of exasperated way).

1 Like

It’s not like there’s any noticeable wardrobe in her room, after all…

1 Like

Ah, I see, it’s directed at the cats!

I would say she’s talking to herself (or possibly to Alicia) about the cats. Not sure if that’s what you meant.

1 Like

Ah, no, I got that - it’s just that before I thought she was talking about Akari (nearly wrote Aria again!), rather than the cats.

1 Like