Aria the Masterpiece: Chapter 27 Discussion

Join the Beginner Book Club here!

Aria the Masterpiece Home Thread

Aria the Masterpiece Chapter 27: 逃げ水

Start Date: January 12th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 26
Next Chapter: Chapter 27.5 (Special Navigation)

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble. Be sure to mention if you are reading a version other than Aria the Masterpiece.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

1 Like

I never really realised before I started reading the Japanese version of Aria just how much Akari’s 摩訶不思議 is her catchphrase - in the English version, it’s rendered as “so mysterious”, which, though repeated frequently, doesn’t really jump out as a catchphrase, per se.

But anyway, time for the wind chime festival again.

Akari using レッツらゴー again. This is Aika’s thing, right? Or is it a common thing in Japanese? レッツゴー, sure, but レッツゴー?

“The scorching sun has produced a black-and-white world” - you don’t think that might be because you live in a manga, Akari?

Ah, heatstroke can be a terrible thing…

Gotta say, this chapter has always reminded me of the bit of Nausicaä (the manga) where she’s having a vision quest while in a coma, and as she’s walking through the valley of the shadow of death, she suddenly realises that Teto has been walking in front of her all along.

Page 239: Ok, I get that this is a magical cafe where cats like to gather, but… ignoring the ones on the shelf, there’s five manekineko statues there, three stuffed cats, a cardboard cutout, and what appears to be a robot cat. How, even?

I do confess I slightly wonder if she just dozed off on page 221 and she’s dreaming the entire episode.

4 Likes

I might be wrong, but I think it’s also what Mario, the Italian plumber, says. If I’m right, it could just be an attempt at rendering the Italian accent.

Edit: nope, it’s just one of the “traditional” rendition of the English pronunciation.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s like the cats gathering from volume 1 where they were in some kind of maze and there was bit of mystery about whether “cat magic” was involved this time it was a mysterious dream (or was it?!)

Yeah, but at least in volume one, they were all real cats. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So I guess there’s room for magic cats that appear in the form of 招き猫 too? :thinking:

2 Likes

she did get a 風鈴 with cat ears, though.

Also, about the cafe, I first thought that the owner was the cath sit cait sith big cat, but when we see him at the end, I realized I was completely wrong. I got the impression from the cat-mustache-like wrinkles and cat eyes, but obviously he is just a random magic cat with transformation power or some such. Also, upon seeing the … big cat … at the end, I backtracked and saw that he was here in the back when she got in.

1 Like

Aye, but we don’t see her take it home, we just see her holding it outside the cafe.

Aye, I did the exact same thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I really enjoy these 摩訶不思議 episodes. :smile:
I spotted both Cait Sith and the cat-eared chime as soon as they appeared, and I loved it when she turned around to see all the other cats there.

特別な場所ですもの。:wink:

Also, the door sound effects on p232!

Just two questions

p220 top right
What is written under 見せてあげましょ?

p221 bottom left
I don’t understand the latter part of 夢うつつにまどろんじゃうわね

お願い!

4 Likes

蜃気楼

It’s an abbreviation of まどろんでしまう =て-form of まどろむ + しまう

1 Like

Also, I saw this today and thought of you, my Aria book club buddies. :wink:

4 Likes

That’s punting. :stuck_out_tongue:

I never said it wasn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Finished the chapter! You guys put everything behind spoilers, so I’m not gonna bother quoting. But @Naphthalene I didn’t notice Cait Sith in the back either so thanks for mentioning it. @Belthazar @hachiken I noticed the 招き猫 and ぬいぐるみ cats as well, but I just like to not question things and enjoy the magic. :blush:

Couple comments/questions:

• Page 221: No one commented on Alicia causally throwing out there that 猫 comes from 寝子? That’s awesome, even if it’s not entirely true.
  • Page 223: What is いざ屋台街 exactly? Like street vendors?
  • Page 233: No way Aria could actually hold that milk with his paws…
  • Page 234: やっぱり夏はアイスみるくに限るわよねぇ. Who is saying this? The bartender? Because Akari doesn’t use わ. Also, is this saying that iced milk is limited to summer?
  • Page 237: Similarly, the bartender is rhetorically asking でももしその逃げ水に追いついてしまったら…どうなるのかしら?right? Because I don’t think Akari really says かしら either.
3 Likes

屋台 = stand, stall, 街 = street. Dictionary says いざ = now, though I’m not entirely sure how that works, but Google’s not throwing up anything contradictory.

Enjoy the magic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Plus, I imagine his smooshbeans give him some grip.

I feel like it’s the bartender, considering Akari literally just tried to order iced coffee instead.

Think it’s more like iced milk is the quintessential summer drink.

I’d say so. Bartender has been the one speaking for pretty much all of the last page.

4 Likes

It’s… it’s not true??? I feel like life had found meaning, just to lose it again.

~に限る =一番いい
I don’t remember who says what (I will check later).

4 Likes

Ah, new grammar. Thanks!

My shallow Google search brought me to this article. The origin seems to be a bit ambiguous, but I didn’t really try to translate the explanation properly.

2 Likes