Aria the Masterpiece: Chapter 24 Discussion

How did I not notice that?!

I wish you’d stop saying stuff like this. I don’t want to know what we won’t know. It kills some of the anticipation of future chapters.

Thanks
It turned out it was the 買って出る bit which confused me - I hadn’t realised that was a word in its own right either. :joy:

p137 What does this mean? Aika says it as they enter the shop.
ほれポケっとしてないで入るわよ。

So now that I’m finished this chapter (late), here are my many questions and comments. It was a much harder chapter than other recent ones…

Questions:

• Page 112: Is Aika saying that Akira is jealous because she (Aika) loves Alicia?
  • Page 112: 異っ常にライバル視しているのよ - what does 異常に mean here? Akira thinks of Alicia as a rival, but in what way?
  • Page 117: 3つ数える内に出てこい.What does 内に mean here? Logically it should be “come out by the time I count to three” but I don’t think I’ve ever seen this usage before.
  • Page 118: こんなにも優しい先輩…他におるまい?(In resposne) いまくりです - I’m not sure what おるまい means or いまくり in response (I see @Kyasurin’s question about the latter still wasn’t answered).
  • Page 127: 別に改まって話すようなことでもないっしょ - what does 改まる mean in this sentence?
  • Page 133: This is right after Alicia says Akira and Aika are similar in a positive way. Akira then says だーかーらーっ、おのれのそーゆう所が大っ嫌いなんじゃああああ! - so who hates what place? Is Akira still focused on Aika hating her or am I completely off?
  • Page 135: あんまり私にキツくあたらないの - is this saying that people are too formal with her?

Phew, now onto my other thoughts and comments on the chapter!

I noticed this too. Oh well…

• I loved how they imagined the fairies on pages 114 and 121 (and I can’t believe I didn’t notice the devil version).
  • Alicia torturing Akira on page 121 was hilarious.
  • In the first panel of page 133, Akira looks so uncomfortable having gotten the complement from Alicia. :laughing:
  • On page 141, anyone else notice President Aria trying to show off to President Hime by doing some flips?
  • More in general, I really liked Akira and how she was introduced. Looking forward to more of her!

Yes :smile:

I am thinking “way more than would normally be expected”

I assume this is more 関西弁、meaning 他にいますか?

I think she’s saying that no-one is hard on her, because she’s the boss’s daughter. Whereas Akira pushes her (e.g. to clean up her room :joy:)

I will leave your other questions for the next player…

Oh, I didn’t even notice this question. I’ve honestly not got the foggiest idea, but ADV’s gone with “But you’ll never find a sweeter mentor than me.” “Sure I can”. If that helps you (or someone) to reverse-engineer it.

Do you want an answer to this question, or is it rhetorical? Only, @seanblue will probably stab me if I do answer. :slightly_smiling_face:

I read it as something like “Stop lollygagging and get in here” - I imagine ほれポケ is some kind of onomatopoeia (or perhaps ほれ is dialectical and ポケ is onomatopoeic), but that’s more a gut feeling than anything I can back up with a dictionary. Or Google.

Negative volitional form of Kansai-ben version of いる, I’d say.

I figure “to stand on ceremony; to be formal​”, since they’re talking about her being the heir to the throne.

Think it’s more like “This kind of thing is what I [Akira] hate about you [Alicia]”.

On that basis, I will lock the cutlery drawer and retract my question. :joy:

Those examples use the “while” meaning of うちに, so I still don’t see how that fits here. “Come out while I count to three” kinda works I guess, so maybe it just doesn’t work as a literal translation? But I would expect something more like 三つ数えるまでに出てこい.

I’m also not sure of the breakdown, but I agree with your educated guess. Though that’s partially because of misread ポケっと as ボケっと which fits the situation.

Hmm, yeah. I gotta remember that おる = いる.

My local native speaker assures me they are the same thing, although ポケ is a lighter condition.

They also say that ほれ is like ほら, my dictionary agrees.