Aria the Masterpiece: Chapter 13 Discussion

Perhaps it’s a question. “Do you think I know?”

Feel. “This just feels like a free ride”

によって is a term in the dictionary. Which, yes, is に因って

What does なんか mean? It’s 何か, right? It means “something”. But I think this なんか is just a “throw in there”-なんか. It doesn’t mean anything. It’s just a “like” or something. The sentence is something like “about the the streets below, like… you know alot about them, right!”. This is the part where Akatsuki is trying to persuade (basically demand, really) Akari to give him a guided tour.

I don’t know who says this. It’s an “exploding” speech bubble. I think It’s just narration. I took this to mean something like “a ride, just like normal (and a smiling sweaty emoji)”. It is ironic. There’s some tension in the air. Akatsuki has basically demanded the guided tour to calm him down from being stood up. And Akari goes along like the service minded pro that she is. That’s the 気. And the 気 is ironically described by “a normal ride”.

1 Like

I disagree with both previous answer and will thus add a third version :stuck_out_tongue:
気 indicates intent “he is of the mind of getting a free ride!!!”

(And he got away with it too)

Edit: found a hinative reference: 【「気」はなんの意味ですか?「何をする気だ」】 を使った例文を教えて下さい。 | HiNative

3 Likes

I’m thinking of what 気 means. I know 病気. I know 元気. I kind of know やる気. But what does just 気 mean? I think of it basically as “the force”, in the star wars sense. And all the grammar patterns with 気 in it. e.g. 死にたくない気がする (I know none of them btw), I’m just thinking of as there’s a disturbance in the force described by “don’t want to die”, whatever that means. Admittedly, I know close to no grammar. I will immediately yield to anyone who has any actual knowledge.

This タダ. I though of it as 唯. Because thats the one wk teaches. This is the first time I have come in contact with it meaning free of charge. It seems to be a different word with a different kanji.

1 Like

Indeed, 気 is a weird word. I guess you can only get its meaning in a given context from tons of exposure.

About ただ, that one is written 只 in kanji. WKstats tells me that it’s not taught on wanikani. (It isn’t a joyo kanji anyway)

2 Likes

Neat facts for the win!

6 Likes

Either that, or “Naph needs non-kanji-related hobbies” :wink:

4 Likes

Jisho says it’s usually written using kana alone. (This is the first time I’ve seen it used to be mean “free of charge” - usually I would read it as “only/just” or “however”.

I don’t remember reading it that often (with that meaning), but it comes up often when are trying to bargain for spare parts in Akihabara. (And in other similar situations I guess)

Edit: I also remember one conversation with a Japanese friend while we were visiting the us where they told me something around the line of “oh, the ride from the airport to the city center is free”

1 Like

Jisho gives some other examples as compound words such as
タダ乗り - free ride
タダ飯 - free meal
タダ酒 - free drinks (as in free liquor)
タダ飯はない - no such thing as a free lunch
タダ券 - free ticket
It seems katakana is optional.

5 Likes

Woah, thank you for the replies everyone! I’ve actually come across ただ meaning ‘free of charge’ before - I read the first chapter of Yuru Camp a few weeks ago and it comes up there, also in katakana (maybe hiragana?) rather than kanji. So I’m kind of bummed I didn’t make the link here :sweat_smile:

And I’ve seen 気 used in that kind of way in Kiki, I think :thinking: can’t remember the context, but the meaning was along the lines of “feeling so minded”. All in all, should have worked this out myself :grin:

Yes, somebody in my class seems to have almost a verbal tic where she throws it in just about every other word.

I didn’t make the connection that he might be saying she does know it well :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve never seen ただ used in this way before. But like it usually works, from now on I will probably notice that these kinds of words are everywhere

3 Likes

I have a couple more questions for later but omg I don’t think anybody has mentioned her cat ears hat on the very last page?!

Also Akatsuki’s brother looks about twenty years older wtf

5 Likes

I somehow completely failed to notice that…

1 Like

Well you’re welcome :wink:

2 Likes

So I’m only just reading the chapter now (and haven’t read anything in the thread). But on page 94, 実はいい人です(多分) just made me laugh out loud. :laughing:

Also, on page 95, Akari’s 営業スマイル is adorable. :blush:

5 Likes

Same :grin: poor もみ子…

3 Likes

A couple more questions for my senpais :bowing_woman:

Page 103 | top-right

Akatsuki says 少しはイラついたりっしねーのか?

I get that he’s saying “aren’t you even a little bit irritated?”, but I’m not quite sure where the つい bit after イラ comes from.

Page 116 | bottom-left

wut

I think I understand literally all the words, but have no clue what he’s saying.

しっかし短気で
すぐキレるおオメーが
よく6時間も
待ってたよなぁ

2 Likes

たり-form conjugation of イラつく = “to get irritated” ^^

I understood it as something along the lines of “But for someone as short-tempered and quick to get angry as you to have been waiting (as much as) 6 hours”, with the も putting emphasis on the amount of time waited

2 Likes

You forgot the よく in the sentence:)

You did well waiting for (as much as) 6h

2 Likes