Aria the Masterpiece: Chapter 1 Discussion

Yep, that’s exactly right. Xしか~ない = nothing but X.

As with pretty much any manga, the art actually gets better as Amano-sensei gets into the feel of things. Reading over this now, I’ve noticed there’s a few things which become familiar in later chapters have yet to make an appearence so far. She never gets any better at drawing cats, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Amano-sensei actually visited Venice in person to get reference images for Aria.

2 Likes

I literally would never have made this connection or understood this sentence myself - thank you so much :bowing_woman:

Are you insulting アリア社長 ?!

Thanks for the confirmation on しかない

2 Likes

Page 24
Just wanted to chip in with my own translations for the top 2 boxes

Top right: Nevertheless, I often hear that the exam to become an undine is challenging
Top left: Probably because it’s the iconic job which symbolises the image of this town
Next box down
Akari: But I really want to row a gondola. I mean, there’s nothing else a woman can become apart from an undine, is there?
Postie: Well, that’s because all the other rowing occupations are male specialities.

Super late catching up here~

I’m a bit confused by a sentence on page 8

ずつとずつと憧れてたんです

Does this mean “little by little, I was attracted to it”?
I’m trying to figure out what’s happening to the verb here. is ~てた te-form with -た for the past or something? I’m assuming ~んです is explanatory tone?

The font is a little bit weird - it’s ずっとずっと I’ve aaaalways been attracted to it.

憧れてた = 憧れていた = 憧れている in past form

2 Likes

ohhh that makes SO much more sense, thank you!

How’s the catch-up going? :slightly_smiling_face:

just finished chapter one but a second ago–feels good :smiley:
on to chapter two!

5 Likes

Awesome! :tada:

1 Like