Aria the Masterpiece: Chapter 1 Discussion

I’m super late to the party, but hooray for starting Aria! :tada:

I’ve been trying to add any words I’ve noticed are missing from the spreadsheet as I go through, so hopefully I’m doing it right :sweat_smile:

I was planning to read it all through and then ask any questions, but I’m a decent number of pages from the end and I’m starting to forget my questions, so… please help! Most of them are pretty tiny things, cos reading through this thread has answered so many things as I go, heh. Sorry if any of these have been answered already.

Page Seven / 7

Top panel, left dialogue bubble.

極冠部 - is there any distinction / nuance in the 部 being present? Searching in jisho gets me ‘polar ice caps’ for 極冠, but it doesn’t recognise 極冠部.

Page Eight / 8

Bottom panel, right text box.

なってみせましょう - I think this means sort of “let’s see if I can become an undine”, or “let’s try this (becoming an undine)”, but I don’t really understand why it’s みせる? I only know the grammatical structure てみる, so I’m not sure what the nuance is (or whether it’s something totally different) when it’s てみせる. Let’s show I can become an undine?

Page Fourteen / 14

Top panel.

生で - is there a particular reason the furigana for this is written in katakana?

Page Nineteen / 19

Middle-right panel.

My nemesis D: 待ち合わせしてて - why the second て?

Page Twenty / 20

Bottom panel, left dialogue box.

不便で不便でならねぇ - is the repeated 不便で just for emphasis? And why is it a negative sentence? Is it sort like “isn’t it inconvenient”?

Page Twenty One / 21

Bottom panel, left dialogue bubble.

はひっ - is this… a cut-off / embarrassed はい? A weird little laugh?

Page Twenty Two / 22

Top-right panel, left dialogue bubble.

進んでいて - the translation here is ‘to make progress’ / ‘to improve’, right?

Middle panel, left dialogue bubble.

Is she saying that she personally feels unsatisfied by this kind of town, or is she saying that that kind of town is unsatisfactory / feels unsatisfactory? This is more of a personality / story question - is she making a kind of judgement, or more of a statement of personal preference?

Phew, okay, that’s me done for now. Any help much appreciated! I’m going to skim through the rest of the chapter so that I can join in better for chapter 2 from tomorrow ^-^ might still ask some sneaky questions in here next week :wink:

2 Likes