Are those who are completing in 7 days really learning everything?

There are some people I’ve seen on the learning Japanese Reddit that think kanji is impossible to learn and that Japanese should just get rid of it. Lol

1 Like

Levels 1 and 2 (and 26, and 46 to 60 except 48) are fast levels. They can be completed in 3 days + 10 hours, half the time than a regular level.

1 Like

I took Chinese for a couple semesters and my professor told me there was a growing movement in china to make pinyin the new standard, because it was a pain to deal with naming new things using Chinese characters. Not sure how accurate that is, but I found it pretty funny.

2 Likes

Yeah, we actually learned. My advice is to just make sure things stick as hard as possible at the start. Spend more time on lessons and your 4h and 8hr reviews should always be done on time if not close to on time.

Imo, if you do them on time, you should not miss a 4hr or 8hr review. If you did, either you’re trying to learn too much at once or you didn’t spend long enough on the lesson. Even I missed them occasionally, but if it’s even somewhat common then you need to look into changing your study plan imo.

And as missmisc said, learning Japanese gets easier over time. You sorta just get the hang of it.

3 Likes

I feel like it’s best not to compare yourself to others because I always get demotivated if I feel like I’m going too slowly, I try not to look at the stats tbh as long as I’m making progress it doesn’t rly matter how long I spend on each level? But I know different people find different methods helpful tho but I wouldn’t worry abt it too much :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do the same, the sparkling crabigator juice version is really good too.

1 Like

I dunno. I’d say I miss the initial review of kanji about half the time, and about half the time again I’ll miss the second review. It never really bothers me in the long run, as I get them eventually. If you didn’t learn it well enough in the lesson, that’s what your reviews become.

(Radicals and Vocab I’ll generally get, though.)

You’re free to learn however you want, I just find that to be a waste of time. If your reviews are a method to keep a word in your memory rather than add it back in, they’ll go a lot faster and you’ll have less of them to do. This saves you a lot of time and effort. And if you do rfindleys method, they’ll go even faster.

Again, you’re free to study how you please since it’s your life and all, but just don’t forget that simply because something works doesn’t mean it’s the best option.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I was trying to point out. I just don’t want anyone to get discouraged because they have trouble always getting the 4 and 8 hour reviews.

Eidetic memory …
I basically remember everything. People either don’t believe me or say stuff like “Wow you’re so lucky” and I guess it is useful but sometimes it makes my head feel too full

2 Likes

Im kinda curious what your acc is like. Ever checked on https://www.wkstats.com ?

2 Likes

93%, although I sometimes make really stupid mistakes (I’m pretty sure everyone does)

2 Likes

that sheet no good fam

The more you live, you realize those moments you treasure… everyone else forget, and suddenly you discover yourself like you had a nice dream or you read a nice book and you’re simply sharing the story with the ones that were there with you, cause they’re like… ah, f’rreal? did that happen? o.o

And it’s apalling and saaaaaaaad

1 Like

Dear sir, thank you !

1 Like

So does that mean that you get through learning kanji here without using any mnemonics? I’d be lost without them. When I’m trying to read kanji in the wild, if I see one that I know I know but can’t remember, I look at it and hear myself thinking, “wolverine, stool, winter, thread…” like some kind of demented Sherlock Holmes piecing unrelated clues together and then I wonder what the hell’s wrong with me.

5 Likes

For me personally, having a goal in mind really helps speed up the learning process. I have an uncle in Japan, and for me, that really helps in learning the things, as it give me some pretty great motivation. And as repeated multiple times above, there are multiple factors in your learning speed, so it’s different for everyone.

As for memorizing, I felt that the mnemonics made me feel really stupid and I chose to ignore it. However, I decided to try them, and it helped quite a lot, as your brain begins to make connections between things you know and things you don’t. Also, sleep sort of kills the studying, but if you study first thing in the morning, it helps.

And take everything with a massive pile of salt because I just started, haha! Hope this helps though.

Speed of levels is not important in terms of memorisation because due to the repetitive nature of reviews, eventually you’ll learn it. The main difference is your workload. If you have the time to handle 400 reviews a day then you can go through the levels as quickly as possible. I have the time recently to handle a lot of reviews so I just blast through each level as fast as I can.

2 Likes

I usually forget the mnemonics between guru and master.

And I usually stop calling out all of the damn radicals on the kanji in my head between master and enlightened.

Not sure if it works for others but I:

1. try to never let reviews or lessons accumulate
  2. don’t study voc. only review radicals and kanji
  3. for new vocabulary: I don’t think do much and do LOTS of mistakes
  4. but I think a lot during the reviews of radicals and kanji (yes, those silly stories help a lot!) and try my best to avoid mistakes
    I feel I’m learning because by doing lots of mistakes with new vocabulary, I keep seeing those words again and again which helps to solidify the kanji knowledge. Also studying with Genki, trying to read Manga and watching Japanese shows on Netflix helps.
1 Like

Usually, they start to click at that point. But once in a while, a familiar-looking kanji’s meaning and reading will elude me. And then it’s back to the building blocks…