Are these supposed N1 kanji actually useful?

holy sh!t you are level 1 again :bowing_man: while I’m still struggling to reach 40

All the most important kanji have been already quoted, but I think that cocoon (繭) is also a common enough word to be aware of. And the kanji is almost a freebie because visually it’s thread+mushi inside some kind of shell, it’s like a mnemonic in itself ! :grinning:

5 Likes

Insert joke about homophones and not knowing if someone is talking about eyebrows or cocoons.

I think there’s a way for me to change the title…gimme a sec :pray:

11 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 4.15.38 PM
That is nice!! Very cool thanks!
@Leebo @Oshin

7 Likes

Aw yeah! Glad it worked! :call_me_hand:

11 Likes

Good. Without losing the sect.

3 Likes

That happened to me too in another thread.

1 Like

No, actually, the quote was legit; it’s just that the text was exactly the same.
When I tried to use the highlight tool showing where the quote came from in the original message, I missed it as the highlight color changed since last time I used that tool :joy:

4 Likes

How often do you see this written in kanji? I feel like I’ve seen it occasionally, but even in business correspondence, it’s usually written in kana, isn’t it? Maybe the kanji is used in higher-formality documents/announcements than I usually see. (Either way, it’s still worth recognizing.)

但し and the zodiac kanji are all fairly useful, for sure.

賜 in 賜る and 賜物 is a big one, showing up all the time in customer-and client-facing writing. It’s also genuinely useful for N1 test reading.

稀 is common. (Ironically)

8 Likes

Currently reading my emails from work, and guess who just showed up.
(That doesn’t mean anything about general frequency, but, hey)

Doing a quick search, it seems that it only appears in the body of the emails (I receive) when they copy/pasted the content of an attached document, though.

:joy:

3 Likes

I guess usefulness depends on the individual.
I think 椿 is useful and I was surprised that WaniKani doesn’t teach it, even though I usually encounter it in kana.
柚, 蚕 and 繭 are kanji that I have had to learn, too. But kanji dictionaries exist so I don’t know if everyone needs to learn them.

The quokka has had me wondering, though they have had / are having their 15 minutes of fame now-ish, but this turn of phrase makes me think you may be an Aussie, possibly a West Aussie???

Annotation 2020-01-10 085816

(And I’ve just now noticed all the bicycle wheels in the background - that’s Rotto for sure!)

1 Like

One day I was sitting at work and wondered whether Leebo made it to Level 60 again, and I log in to find this! :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Very nice :ok_hand:

1 Like

Koichi-tachi were nice and gave you the thing!!!

I’m American! Good guess! This photo of the quokka is one I got online :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.