April 28th Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく: Community Reading Exercise

Claiming E:

Analysis

Close-up:

《食道静脈瘤破裂『に』よる大出血『で』腎不全『も』伴っている》

食道静脈瘤破裂 means a rupture of a varix of the oesophagus. Since I have no interest whatsoever in medical terminology I won’t even put the reading of that word. I’ll likely never stumble upon it again in my lifetime.

『に』indicates the location while よる is likely the v. meaning “to be due”. So the rupture of the vein of the oesophagus led to a lot of bleeding as indicated by 大出血 which is accompanied with renal failure (腎不全).
『に』indicates the location while よる is likely the v. meaning “to be due”.

So the rupture of the vein of the oesophagus led to a lot of bleeding as indicated by 大出血 which is accompanied with renal failure (腎不全).

1 Like

Oh wow, so misinterpreting 低い can really change the meaning of the sentence.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the subject particle が can only come after a noun; while the conjunction particle が (“but”) comes after a verb.

Would that be a correct way to tell them apart, or am I missing some cases ?

1 Like

@YanagiPablo:
I flagged my message to make it a wiki which it is now. You can now edit your link as you see fit.

@Naphthalene if you’d like to claim and share your knowledge it’d be a good time. Participation is low so I’d be a change from being by myself doing everything :disappointed_relieved:.

I’ve added page 21 in the first thread which covers F to J.

Claiming F.

1 Like

:rofl: fair enough. That being said, it’s simply the combination of multiple words. 食道 oesophagus is probably the least common in there, but you’d be surprised. 静脈 vein shows up often-ish as well, I lastly saw it in a light novel with gory details (no need to explain more I guess). 瘤 also appeared in the same book (with the meaning of bump rather than swelling, but still), interestingly :joy: it’s even included in a children song (well, without any kanji, obviously). 破裂 (rupture) is probably the most common of the bunch.

The subject が can also come after a nominalized verb, for instance. That’s technically a noun, but I feel it’s still good to keep that in mind. the “but” が can come after an i-adjective as well.

Sure, I’ll do a few.

1 Like

G

Transcription:
ラシックス(利尿剤)で尿量を確保して手術記録を書いておいてくれ
今 やる事はそれだけだ

Vocabulary

ラシックス name of a drug
(利尿剤)(explaining to the non medical expert that that was the name of a diuretic drug)
で particule indicating method
尿量 volume of urine
を direct object particle
確保する (in て form) to maintain
手術記録 surgery notes/records
書いておいてくれ please write (ておく means to do something for later/ in preparation for something, くれ is a way to give an order)
今 now
やる to do (informal)
事 thing
は topic particle
それ that
だけ only
だ (copula)

Interpretation

Use ラシックス (a diuretic) to maintain his volume of urine and please write the surgery report. Right now, that’s all that can be done.

I do not know if ラシックス exists in the English speaking world, and I don’t know how to look that up anyway :sweat_smile:

H

出久根先生
君には他の患者を紹介する

Vocabulary

出久根先生 Dr. Dekune
君 you
に particule indicating indirect object here
は contrastive particule (putting contrast with Dr. Saito’s situation)
他 other
患者 patient
紹介する to introduce

Interpretation

Dr. Dekune, I will introduce an other patient to you.

Sadly that interpretation lost the contrastive nuance of “I have other plans for you”, but I don’t really know how to work that into a natural sounding English sentence.

3 Likes

F.

@YanagiPablo if you want, there’s also the translation summaries to be added in. Shannon liked it when the sentences were compiled next to each other to provide a general reading comprehension.

Analysis

Close-up:

斎藤先生
Doctor Saitou

First Unit:
君『には』この患者『の』受け持ち『を』…
You will be in charge of this patient’s…

☆受け持ち【うけもち】to be in charge of.

お(polite prefix)願いする
Lol, nevermind, the を was just to introduce a polite request.

《斎藤先生, 君『には』この患者『の』受け持ち『を』お願いする》
Doctor Saitou, you will be in charge of this patient please

1 Like

I looked it up. In English it’s called “Lasix” and it’s administrated for, among other things, liver diseases.

I find your commentary super instructive. Especially about くれ to give an order.

Claiming I

2 Likes

I had analyzed 食道静脈瘤破裂 here; but didn’t knew that 静脈瘤 is actually 静脈+瘤; bumped vein, indeed that makes a lot of sense.

I’m surprised at 食道 being the least common; as it was the only one I could understand/guess the most easily.

the “but” が can come after an i-adjective as well.

Oh, yes. Actually I think of them both (動詞 and 形容詞) as a same category… is there a word for them both ?

1 Like

Wait, why is that in a different thread? I’m having trouble following the organization of this group :sweat_smile:. Do you just carry over unfinished pages to the next thread?

That’s entirely based on my experience, not on frequency lists or anything. Your mileage may vary :slight_smile: And yes, the meaning is fairly straightforward from the kanji; those are the best kind of words (from a learner’s perspective :stuck_out_tongue:).

Not that I know of, but I’m not very versed in formal grammar, so that doesn’t mean such word does not exist.

1 Like

J

何言ってるんだ…?
このくらい研修医一人でやるのはどの病院でも常識だぞ

Vocabulary

何 what
言ってる slurred 言っている to be saying
んだ slurred のだ adds emphasis
このくらい that much
研修医 doctor in training + 一人 one person -> one single doctor in training
で particle indicating mean/method
やる to do (informal)
の nominalization
は topic
どの … でも which(ever) …/ in any …
病院 hospital
常識 common sense
だ copula
ぞ emphasis (not super nice)

Interpretation

What (the heck) are you talking about?
Having a single doctor in training doing that much is common sense in any hospital.

2 Likes

Claiming I:

Analysis

Close-up

え…僕と一緒じたいんです『か』?
This is a typical sentence with an ellipsis which always throws me off. But this time I caught it with its pants down.

He’s talking to his teacher with the glasses and asks him:* (You) won’t be together with me?*

1 Like

Claiming K:

I’ve added p.22 to this first message so people have some more to do. If some reason we run out, I’d be nice/appreciated if the last person to claim a letter would upload the page that follows.

Well, K is just a repetition of what was already said:
You are in charge of this patient

Re: J:

@Naphthalene
Is 『ぞ』generally a particle which means s you’re being not very nice/very direct in your communication?

2 Likes

Hm, it’s “rough”, and roughness (especially in a work situation like here) would not be considered nice, but that’s context dependent. If you are a man talking to close male friends, it can be fine (but yes, it would be “direct” anyway)

2 Likes

Wait, why is that in a different thread?

Because it was some pages before, but it is the same word (that is why I recognized it immediately).

Do you just carry over unfinished pages to the next thread?

It sometimes happen also.
I myself prefer to just leave on the original, after all it isn’t much important if the reading and analysis is done on a different day than the one in the thread title.
I am not as fast as others, but I like to look all the aspects of the texts (even “off-frame” texts: text in the landscape, chapter titles, etc.)

(動詞 and 形容詞) as a same category… is there a word for them both ?

Could 活用語 be understood in that sense ? (I seems 活用詞 doesn’t exist) (活用 (かつよう) : 1. practical use, 2. conjugation, inflection)

2 Likes

Is 『ぞ』generally a particle

@Shannon-8 hosted some reading threads about クレヨンちゃん, 九歳の男児. All the small history titles (supposedly told by that character) ended in ゾ …

Actually, despite the simplicity of the stories, and the very small amount of kana, it was a hard thing to read; due to the big amount of contractions, ellipsis, child-speak and lack of particles.

2 Likes

Claiming L:

Analysis

Close-up:

Transcription:
今日(きょう)(はじ)めて(ぼく)『は』正式(せいしき)『に』入院患者(にゅういんかんじゃ)『を』()()ちつ(こと)『に』なった…

今日(きょう)(はじ)めて(ぼく)『は』正式(せいしき)『に』入院患者(にゅういんかんじゃ)『を』()()ちつ(こと)『に』なった…

And so on that day/today it was my responsibility to become in charge of an in-patient

or

Today I became in charge for the responsibility of an in-patient

There isn’t much analysis to be done here either. It’s all pretty straightforward I think.

As so today it was my responsibility to be in charge of an in-patient for the first time

I feel like to be responsible and to be in charge is redundant but oh well, I didn’t write it.

Nevermind, it’s ‘officially’, not be responsible.

1 Like

Well, there is (はじ)めて : for the first time; and 正式(せいしき)『に』, officially.

Also, you already know it maybe, but for others: 入院 = hospitalization (lit. entry into a hospital); the antonym is 退院 (たいいん), leaving a hospital

2 Likes

(You) won’t be together with me?

I wonder… is he asking about “the teacher” not being with him,
or about “出久根先生” (Dr Dekune, the other student that was summoned together with Saitou), not being with him ?

Saitou asks that just after Professor 白鳥 (/!\ irregular reading しとり) told Dekune that for him it will be another different assignement.

Then, Shiratori replies with … 研修医一人で … “one single intern”.

So I think 僕と一緒じたいんですか is rather “(He, Dekune) won’t be together with me?”

2 Likes

That’s the most reasonable to assume, considering that they were just talking about Dekune.
It’s possible to bypass the problem by turning the sentence as “(We) won’t be together?” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes