App/website to listen/practice natural dialogues

Hello,

I study grammar, vocabulary and kanji. Recently I realized I don’t have much knowledge about simple things you can say in Japanese. For example (I know most of these, just writing for example):

“I agree”
“Do you think so?”
“Let’s do that”
“I am not sure”

As you can tell, these are very common sentences you use daily. I can use my Japanese knowledge to translate them but there are probably better and more common ways to say these. Ways that natives use.

So I am looking for an app/website to learn these kind of natural dialogues. Of course I can listen more Japanese material but I don’t have much time to do that. I would prefer listening instead of reading. Anyone know something I can use?

Thanks

3 Likes

そう

そう?

そう。

そう…

(Yeah, ok, that last one is a bit of a stretch, but I’m cracking a joke, work with me here.)

But honestly, the best place to be exposed to natural dialogue is to get into native materials. Read books, watch TV. YouTube could be a place to start.

8 Likes

それは… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s truly amazing how many different meanings you can pack into little そう depending on context and intonation :smiley:

3 Likes

It sounds to me like you might also want to know 相槌(あいづち)

3 Likes

I don’t know too many websites or apps that would focus on those kinds of basics.

Satori Reader has some short situational dialogues (like a series on “at the airport”):
https://www.satorireader.com/series/dialogs-airport
and they also have text to follow along.

If you have a textbook you like, a lot of those come with CDs of the chapter dialogues, which would be based on natural conversations but level-curated.

This article from Tofugu suggests some beginner-level podcasts:

which would be very natural, but level varies (they do also have an article on intermediate ones if that’s more where you are).

3 Likes

I see, thanks for the answers. I knew it was a long shot, it seems I should focus on native materials.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.