API HTML Tags?

I’m trying to figure something out here. I’m working on an app for WaniKani and when the API returns information for a specific item(kanji, vocab, radical) the mnemonic will have different html type tags. (I’m not sure if it is appropriate to actually call them HTML tags).

It took me a bit but I figured out a way to highlight these words based on the tags, and remove the tags from the text. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems that the possible tags are

<radical> </radical>
<kanji> </kanji>
<vocabulary> </vocabulary>
<ja> </ja>
<reading> </reading>

Originally I thought I just needed radical kanji vocabulary. But then I came across ja and I remembered the website sometimes highlights things for the readings. So I put in the highlighting for ja and then started testing it and came across ‘reading’ tag. So now I’m confused. I think reading just marks the words that sound like what the reading is. For example, the very first kanji 一 , it will say itchy (いち), and it will actually highlight the word itchy, not the Japanese characters.

So then what is the ja tag for? Is it simply to point out which characters are Japanese characters? Because it doesn’t seem like the actually WaniKani website does any highlighting for these characters. Maybe it’s just in case they have to be handled differently? For my app, it works perfectly fine with those characters. Maybe I will highlight them anyways, even though the website does not.

Anyways, I couldn’t find any information in the API about these tags so if it is there, please let me know. I searched the forum and didn’t get anything.

I don’t have any experience with the mnemonic part of the API, but my understanding from the website is that you are correct. reading is for romaji reading (itchy), and that ja is for the kana reading (いち). On the website they use the CSS rule [lang=ja] to set the font of the reading, so that is probably its only use at this point.