Anyone use music to study?

Hi! Do you study by listening to Japanese music and checking lyrics? If so, do you feel like it’s an effective and fun way of practicing listening comprehension?

4 Likes

I listen to a lot of Japanese music, but I wouldn’t call it studying in my case. Sure, it works as some kind of listening practice, but I don’t approach it as studying - I just listen, sometimes check the lyrics, and enjoy those little happy moments, when I understand a line or two (or - rarely - even the whole song) just by listening :wink:

But my main reason for listening is just that I love music :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I like to sing and dance along to Japanese music. I don’t consider it studying. It is super fun, though.

I have auditory processing issues as well as other developmental disabilities. For me, this means that I can’t just listen to music. In order to be able to enjoy it, I have to have the lyrics in front of me anyway. So rather than being a form of listening practice, it becomes both reading and speaking to me. :thinking:

2 Likes

sometimes I use the lyrics option to see the kanji in some songs in spotify, weekly I listen to the billboard 100 japan.

It’s for sure a fun way, but I wouldn’t call it effective due to pitch and vowel length being rather all over the place :frowning: .

But if it works for you, why not :slight_smile:

1 Like

More like, I have dozens if not hundreds of Japanese songs memorized from my weeby teens and 20s, and now that I am studying Japanese, the lyrics of all that phonetically memorized gibberish are starting to align and make sense :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Well I looked up the lyrics for Radwimps cocoronoca stay home version, including furigana and English translations. My level is still JLPT N5 so I cannot understand a lot of the grammar but I sing along as much as I can with the song. Steve Krashin said that comprehensible input is the best way to learn a second language so I am trusting that as my levels increase that this will help but for now I will just enjoy the music (planning to do the same for the other 3 top Radwimps and Koi from Gen Hoshino)

1 Like

No not at all.

It’s not any sort of substitute for actual practice or conversational japanese input.

5 Likes

Yes, but only if it’s Babymetal or the Shibusashirazu Orchestra.

This will teach you everything about Japan.

Maybe some of Ono Yoko’s more experimental pieces, too.

I love doing karaoke as reading speed practice. It’s not so much studying as practicing what I’ve learned… being able to recognize the Kanji or vocabulary as I’m singing along, for example. But just like English songs, a lot of Japanese songs are more poetic than grammatically correct, so I never really sit and think too deeply about what they actually mean.

One of my go-to groups is ALEXANDROS

2 Likes

I do the same! I try to read and understand the karaoke lyrics in real time speed. I don’t overly worry about getting an exact translation, just testing myself to see if I can get the main idea before it disappears.

I’d say it’s useful for getting closer to speech in real time, but listening to conversations or stories is probably better. I like Onomappu for his natural speaking speed. He usually isn’t preforming actual conversations, but if you’re just focusing on listening, he’s good for that.

1 Like

Imo it can be a double-edged sword. If you are a careful listener it could help you, but in music sometimes the pronunciation gets distorted just for the sake of giving the song a ‘sweeter’ sound, and could be misleading. Same thing also for particular readings, but I’m a beginner in japanese and am not sure it applies to this language. This is my take, I’m basing on what I experienced learning english and this always felt like good practice

Edit: be 100% sure it will improve your reading speed. If the lyrics of the song contains many kanjis you donMt know, just google -songname- hiragana lyrics
Edit 2: oh you’re level 53, don’t mind this last note😂