Anyone tried Kanken?

Yeah, I imagine I’ll try to take level 6 in the next month or so. Sign ups for the next paper tests start soon too, but I have to choose just one of levels 10, 9, or 8 for that.

6 Likes

Woohoo, first boss down. :+1: :smiley:

3 Likes

I didn’t realize they had a special certificate for a perfect score :slight_smile: Also, that’s a whole lot of zeros in your certificate number…

5 Likes

You know, I think we had a few posts recently about the tendency to use 〇 for numbers. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah, I imagine that has to do with it being a computer test on a random day. Note that it’s the 28th test of the year, whereas the paper tests have just 3 per year. So it’s not that crazy to be the first person signed up for a given level, I guess. Wouldn’t be shocked if my certificate number was just 22 for 2022, 28 for the 28th version of the test, 7 for level 7, and then 7 digits allotted for how many people took that specific level and version.

7 Likes

I got my test back today and I got a zero on the 誤字訂正 section. It is my weakest section but I was pretty confident that I got them correct. I wonder if I made an input error…

1 Like

That is definitely curious. But it’s true that those are some of the hardest sections on the levels that have them.

I thought for me, on a personal level, there is no reason to go for 満点.
(Not that there is any chance I could get full points anyway…)

But then, I saw these phoenixes :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The normal certificate also has phoenixes :wink: And they’re almost as cool.

8 Likes

Here is my second step for anyone who’s interested.

2 Likes

I think level 1 is cheaper because most of the people who passed level 1 said you would need to learn the Kanken Kanji dictionary and Kanken 四字熟語 dictionary anyway from A to Z because it is too extensive in amount for textbooks to cover.

Studying with the app I realized that I can memorize the level 3 Kanjis quickly.

But I forgot all the level 4 again.
And I forgot where I put the certificate of it.
Also when and where I took the test. Basically anything except that the result came in a brown envelope.
Great.
At least there is a kind of record here so I know it was last October :sweat_smile:

Found it, just for my records I post it here.
Phoenixes are a bit smaller, but so are the points (167).

5 Likes

this is how you get those “phoenixes” delivered

kanken

4 Likes

Congratulations!

Are you going for 満点? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i am yet to learn about any native japanese speaker to pass the first level with “Manten”
hence, it would really be a miracle if a “foreigner” could do that

3 Likes

It was just a joke because we talked about it before, sorry :sweat_smile:

What about this challenge?
Kanji lover, anyone?
“Creating a new Kanji competition” :grin:

1 Like

The 創作四字熟語 also usually has some really cool entries, especially if you recognize the underlying 四字熟語 the entry is based on.

1 Like

Now I started to study for the Kanken 1 Kyuu because currently I enjoy to make mnemonics for Kanjis with a loooot of strokes :joy:

Now I realized that there are some deviations from this list

and the content of the 漢検漢字辞典.

Is it OK to just study with the 漢検漢字辞典?

2 Likes

Can you give an example?

In the website the reading is

キュウ
コウ
くじ
たたかいと

and in the 漢検漢字辞典 the reading is

キュウ
くじ
たたかいと

Not trying to say this is very relevant in this case, I just happened to find the deviation in that Kanji before.

鬮_書き方

1 Like

Yeah, that’s consistent with what is shown in Kanjipedia.

Kanjipedia and the 漢検 Kanji dictionary are made by the people who make Kanken. They will not ask you a question that isn’t covered in these resources they produce.

5 Likes