Anyone interested in reading 君のナイフ as a book club?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in reading the Manga Kimi no Knife / 君のナイフ as a book club? This manga is one of my favorites and I’ve read it in German and English and am currently reading it in Japanese. There are 10 volumes and it is a hit man manga with Death Note-esque qualities I would say (justice / righteousness being big themes) . I would say it could be either an intermediate or beginners book club but the manga has no furigana. I think the first few pages are difficult to read but after that I don’t feel it is too complicated.

Please fill out the poll if you are interested and then if we have enough people we can figure out a time and date, how many pages per week, etc. Thanks!

Are you interested in reading 君のナイフ
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

1 Like

I remember liking the manga well enough. I could be convinced into a book club if it’s not too hard.

1 Like

Here is an example of an easy/ normal page cropped (imo)

And here is an example of a hard page cropped (imo)

Maybe this can help everyone decide if it seems to difficult. I have already searched all the words for the first two volumes, so I am happy to add them to a spreadsheet ( for future volumes too).

Never heard of it. What kind of story is it? I don’t mind some plot spoilers if you need to spoil something to sell its appeal.

1 Like

It is basically a hitman manga but it goes quite a bit deeper than that and you really have sympathy for the main character, and can understand why he does what he does. It reminds me a lot of Death Note which is another of my favorites. It isn’t all dark though and there are definitely comedic moments as well. I generally like themes of good and evil / right and wrong and sympathizing with characters dealt not so great circumstances in life. If you enjoy such topics, I think you would find it interesting.

I don’t think it will be too much of a spoiler since this happens in the first pages, but basically the whole premise is if you would be willing to murder evil people for money and if doing so makes you an evil person as well. Of course the main character’s motive for killing people is different from getting rich, but I don’t want to say too much more. If you want spoilers for his motive, I can add them in spoilers, let me know.

1 Like

Oh yeah, it kind of reminds me of the Hitman game series. All of the assassination targets are some “bad people” (criminal bosses, corrupt politicians etc) so that an average person wouldn’t feel bad about killing them.

That could make or break the story, I think. I’d like to get a sneak peek :wink:

1 Like

Main motive spoiler (don’t read if you don’t want to be spoiled):

The main character’s sister has an expensive illness, so in order to keep her alive / pay for her treatment he takes on these jobs.

What I didn’t notice on my first read was the manga refers to the Erinyes ( Fury Sisters) quite a bit. Only after playing Hades did I realize they were referring to Alecto and co.

1 Like