Anyone have any PG13-rated mnemonics

Speaking of nipples, I think 母 speaks for itself. But that’s what it’s supposed to represent apparently, so I don’t know if it counts.

4 Likes

Thank you for pinning this because I had no idea about not taking a stroll down F-Bomb lane, because real talk I don’t so much stroll down it on a daily basis but camp out on it and live there. :eyes:

5 Likes

Well the US is quite famous for their fear of nipples :joy:

4 Likes

Did you mean R or NC-17 (formerly X)?
There’s no PG-17 in the US.

Well, only the female presenting ones. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

True, but that just makes it more confusing for people from other countries.
I still remember when we had Phan Thị Kim Phúcs picture as example of the US fear of nipples in school and everyone was shocked.

Yeah, X-rated or whatever it’s called.

NC-17 now; it’s been NC-17 since September 1990.

NippleCinematography-17

6 Likes

I’ve used this method and it definitely works like a charm. I tend to change 20-40% of the menmonics

1 Like

It certainly does. Much of my nuclear power operator training made use of memorable mnemonics and associations. Can I still draw you a rough sketch of the fission product yield curve, 30 years later? I can.

4 Likes

I recently came across 格, or “status,” which has the reading かく. The default mnemonic uses the word for a male chicken and something about cock-a-doodle-doo, but it’s easy to make a more memorable one about measuring status.

4 Likes

I feel like some of the later かく mnemonics I’ve run into definitely hint at that alternate interpretation more strongly. There’s much more of a ‘wink wink’ feeling to them.

2 Likes

I think that is the case with 格 too, as they say, “…you know, a male chicken” - I felt they were winking at us. Though I guess it’s hard not to acknowledge if you’re going to use that word. I respect their decision to keep it wholesome.

2 Likes

I envy the restraint it must have taken to have “status” and かく and not go the obvious way with that one. :smiley: They could have just written, “Come on, we know you’re going to use your own mnemonic for this one anyway.”

I hate that they used かく and not こく, which fits that male “cock” mnemonic much better. I always get confused by those now. Maybe they have thick accents.

Cock is pronounced closer to かく here in the US. But you can’t change the reading of a kanji :wink:

But we are all proper sirs here who use Received Pronunciation!

Still, I’ve spent a lot of time in the states and still the feel of こく and how it rolls of the tongue elicits more cockiness than かく. In かく the lips have to move to change the vowel, which does not happen in こく as much.

No use fighting about accents when you can’t change the 漢字

Not sure what your point is because you can change the mnemonic. コック is also cock in Japanese, not カック.