Any other hearing impaired learners out there?

Hi there everyone,

I’m partially deaf and have been studying Japanese for 2 and a bit years. wondering if there are other deaf/hearing impaired learners. would love to connect

3 Likes

What? Speak up!

Yeah, I wear hearing aids in both ears (though currently, thanks to an issue with my jaw, wearing the right one causes excruciating pain…)

Pretty sure there’s at least a few of us here, though I’ve forgotten precisely who. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

greetings from across the ditch (aotearoa). Have you done any JLPT? I’m requesting special testing accom (use of headphones) but am still nervous. My hearing impairment is high frequency, so distinguishing one syllable from another is so hard

1 Like

I’ve passed N3. :slightly_smiling_face:

And yeah, listening’s not easy. Japanese just fails to make sense when it comes to me via my ears, but I honestly can’t tell whether it’s the ears or the brain that’s the problem - maybe I’m mentally trying to analyse every word as it comes in, when what I need is just to understand the vocab well enough that understanding becomes automatic. In any case, I did manage - think listening actually wound up being my highest-scored section. I’ve even had actual conversations with people in Japan - some that went so smoothly that in my memory, they happened in English.

My impairment is mainly low-frequency, mind.

2 Likes

I feel that retaining vocab is my 弱点。I will take the N4 in July. Hoping to take N3 next year but will see how the N4 goes. I take a course at auckland uni but this year’s course is very difficult for me to understand and i feel super discouraged

Yep, another one here! I have trouble telling consonants apart, which makes Japanese learning fun. :smiley:

It really reveals to me how much my current hearing capacity is about recognising context more than consonants.

2 Likes

yeah, i can hear that people are talking but can’t understand what they’re saying…in any language

1 Like

I began losing my hearing at 50. (My father was partially deaf). I went through several hearing aids and at 64 had cochlear implant surgery on one side. As time went on I was approved by Medicare for a second implant. Being able to hear bilaterally has made a big difference. I was able to continue as a radio announcer for an affiliate of National Public Radio. When I study here, I probably don’t get as much from the sound files particularly in picking up the う at the end of a word. When I watch Japanese TV programs such as “Terrace House” on Netflix I like to have the subtitles set to Japanese instead of English.