Annoyances

gotta get this off my chest, eh?

one of the biggest annoyances about using wanikani and tsurukame is actually outside the control of the developers. it’s far too easy to generate typos with the ios virtual keyboard. drives me spare, especially when i’ve assumed (but not carefully checked) that i typed the correct character.

feel free to pile on apple, folks. they’re a super rich corporation. they can take the deserved abuse.

3 Likes

Are we piling on the app or the iphone keyboard? Tsurukame was created by one of the users here, so I will humbly thank them for their service, but phone keyboards are garbage and I am happy to rant about them, I guess.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t like touchscreen keyboards because I can’t feel the keys. I’m constantly hitting the N or the full stop key instead of the spacebar.

1 Like

I typed tsurukamr 4 times before I got it right in my last post.

2 Likes

intent was to pile on apple. the creator of tsurukame is the best and his app is fabulous.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve never had a problem with the iPhone keyboard :thinking: I haven’t had my laptop in months so I’ve been using my phone to write essays and no problems… Maybe cause my hands are small?

Have you tried swipe typing? I use that sometimes when I’m lazy and it’s really accurate ime. Or maybe Anki mode on tsurukame, I use that when I’m really lazy lol

4 Likes

swipe typing is the worst. Every time I try to do “and”, it turns into “Ava”. I don’t even know an Ava. I have no idea where it got it from. “and” doesn’t even show up on the suggested words.

3 Likes

I’ve got monstrously large thumbs, like the hitchhiker from the mighty boosh

1 Like

I guess I just have really small thumbs lol :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My solution was just to start using anki mode for meanings and 12-key kana keyboard for readings. Not sure if Tsurukame has anki mode though.

2 Likes

Anki mode is the answer. I don’t think explicitly typing out the answer has any benefit, especially when you’re using kana input and cycling through IME’s suggestions.

2 Likes

It’s gotta be the keyboard. I’m on Android and constantly getting auto-incorrect. I try typing “o” but end up with “I” quite often.

1 Like

And then there’s the autocorrect that keeps “correcting” the word even when you go back and make a point of retyping what you actually wanted. Think I had to retype a word about five times yesterday before I was able to break out of the infinite loop, though I’ve clean forgotten what I was trying to type.

3 Likes

use anki mode

1 Like

I’ve noticed a definite difference in retention especially in the apprentice and guru stages for Anki vs typing.

That said Anki mode all the way. The difference isn’t worth the time lost to typos or typing in general when using a phone.

3 Likes

I are you using your phone rotated 90 degrees? I think you will get a bigger keyboard that way which can help improve accuracy. Of course, depending on the app you using, giving up that space for the display of what you are looking at may be an issue.

that’s why I appreciate the tsurukame ‘I was right’ option. I use this a lot…

1 Like

Have you tried enabling vibration when pressing keys on your keyboard? Might help you a little!

1 Like

Help how, exactly? Would vibration stop me from hitting the N instead of the spacebar?

2 Likes

Not necessarily but in my case it helped me be a bit more coordinated and not hit the wrong keys as much as before, try and see for yourself :')

1 Like