Anki/Kitsun Setting Advice for an admittedly crazy goal

Okay so here goes…I read a blog post where someone claimed they learned Set Anki to expose them to 200 new kanji vocabulary words a day and they used two hours a day to learn these new kanji.

This is the post: How to Learn to Read Japanese in 3 Months | Yi Xiang

Now I know how to make Anki show me 200 new cards a day. What I would like to know is what other settings should I do to allow me to lessen the workload in other ways while sacrificing little to none of the efficacy of anki’s SRS algorithm?

For example I know that when I get an answer wrong, whether an old word or new word, I have to reanswer that same word repeatedly to make it go away for the day. Would you recommend changing the settings so that I only have to answer something I got wrong once to make it go away for the day? If so how should I go about doing this? Also please share any other tips on things you would change as far as the settings go to make this goal go better if you had to do it.

Yes I know this goal is crazy, that I risk burnout, that it might now work, etc. but I have a lot of free time on my hands so I wanted to see if I could do 200 new kanji a day for around two to three hours a day. Further information, if it helps: I plan to use the list of 10000 vocabulary words to try this with.

Also if someone can share settings advice for doing the Core 10K at a rate of 200 new cards a day on kitsun that would help too.

I plan to omit sentences for now.

Hey why did you withdraw that post? I was about to click the link lol

Sounds like this guy’s first language was Chinese and he already learned at least one other “second” language (English) fairly fluently. If you don’t share those same huge advantages to springboard your Japanese learning, I think this would be a pretty difficult goal. Knowing Chinese fluently is obviously a huge help with learning kanji and vocab. And having the experience of studying a second language already is another huge help, because you sort of know the process, how to spot the differences between the new language and your native language, etc.

Personally, I’m a native speaker of Chinese and English and I studied French in school. I’ve found the Chinese is a huge help and the fact that I studied French helps me with grammar. I don’t really pay attention to grammar rules in my native languages because things just “sound right”, but studying a language academically made me actually learn grammar. For me, applying those skills has definitely helped with my Japanese studies.

That said, nothing’s impossible and strangers don’t know how you study, how much you can handle, whether you’ll burn out. You know yourself best, but even you don’t know everything you’re capable of, so if that’s what you want to do, I’d encourage you to push yourself and try. :slight_smile: Motivation and passion are also huge advantages!

Never mind i found the link.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.