[Android] WaniDoku - Android app to get you to read some context sentences

I grabbed this also randomly on F-Droid, and have been using it for a couple weeks. Incredibly useful so far, thanks!

good to hear people using f-droid

1 Like

This is a very cool idea :smiley: Thanks for creating this app!

Do you accept donations?

Also, is it checking that you know all the kanji in the example sentence, or is it just pulling an example sentence from a particular burned item?

i can if you are really committed to it but generally no :slight_smile:

Wanikani doesn’t expose information about all the kanji on the sentence so that can’t easily be done. it just fetches a sentence at random from a burned vocab item.

1 Like

@cowboyprogrammer

Maybe the recent WaniKani updates broke WaniDoku? Or is is something on my side?

After couple of months of using wanidoku, I’m in love with the app btw :smiley:

same here, I uninstalled todai app because it was showing only sentence son notification with advanced level kanji and I could barely translate them

then I found this thread and this app looks nice

but I am having same issue

ah! they’ve updated the format of the audio files!
I’ll fix that

1 Like

Just released 1.0.7 which should fix this issue.

1 Like

Great idea, if it was on iOS I’d be all over it :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t mind making an iOS version - but I don’t feel like spending $1000 plus to buy a mac and an iPhone to be able to build it :confused:

1 Like

Have you submitted the update to F-Droid as well? Or does it just take that long to propagate?

Well you don’t submit things to F-Droid. You release a new version and then one of F-Droid’s build servers will check the repo periodically and see that a new version has been released and add it to the build queue.

In my experience one can expect about a week’s delay until it becomes available on F-Droid.

It auto updated today and it’s all fixed again. Many thanks <3

What a great idea. I just found this, and I’m sure it will be very useful. I almost always ignore example sentences (or at least two out of three) during lessons because they break momentum, and I keep wanting to return to them but never seem to do so. This is excellent, thanks for doing this. I wonder if it would be easy to add a text size option? The text size on my phone is fine for English and I wouldn’t want to increase it, but kanji look blurry to me at that same size.

yeah not possible I’m afraid. the text styling is handled entirely by Android

1 Like

Right, never mind. Still a cool app.

I’m trying to use wanidoku on my pixel 3a xl with grapheneos and it seems to be installed properly, my API key works and says connected, but how the heck do I get from the settings screen into the actual program,? Swiping all over isn’t it and there appears to be no button to get out of settings and actually use the program

There is no “actual program” that you are missing. the settings screen is the only GUI .

Everything else is about notifications. So configure how often you want them, and just wait.

I think this app is a really great addition to my daily routine! Thanks so much for creating this!
There’s a small thing that bugs me, I always get 2 example sentences in my notification, but if I click translate there’s only a translation for the first one. (Just like in the screenshot of @cowboyprogrammer’s original post.)
Am I missing anything?