Android font issues

I use WKMobile and the font rendering is wrong. So I tried to root my phone to run Kanji Fix. Apparantly my kernel’s been patched and there’s no newer fix for it. So I moved on to MoreLocale2, to change my locale to Japanese. I found that I didn’t even have a japanese font installed, so it was displaying wrong still. So I installed Droid Sans Japanese, and still is displaying chinese instead of kanji. I honestly don’t know what to do at this point, and I assume some of you guys are in the same boat as me? Have you found anything that works?

EDIT: The japanese does work in app but all the apps I’ve tried use an external browser for reviews, which uses the system chinese font…

There isn’t much you can do about system fonts without root. What is your phone model?

LG Enact, which doesn’t help much, being an unpopular phone model. I noticed Firefox in about:config allows you force fonts but the thing is, Android doesn’t let you install a font without root, because fonts are just so malicious, right? (I can understand REMOVING fonts as being locked down since that can cause issues with the system, especially with the loading loop when it can’t find a particular font) Either way, I’m just stunned at how ridiculously locked down the Android system is, and I’m putting up with the Chinese characters for now, but I know it’s going to bite my ass later, and I have no idea what to do about it.

I see, can’t help much then, I guess.

You may be right about the stupidity of not being able to install new fonts, but when you think about it, it’s not really a necessary feature (with the exception of some special cases like this one, you would almost never need additional fonts). As for the reasons, 
1) The android system doesn’t allow change of system fonts (fonts displayed around the phone…), and 
2) There are no apps that could make you of additionally installed fonts.
In short, additional fonts are useless.

On windows, mac, or any other desktop OS, you are allowed to install fonts because there are a lot of apps that make use of fonts (word processors, design tools, photoshop, illustrator, there are countless of them.). You have almost no apps like these on Android. 

As for the android system being ridiculously locked down. I don’t think that’s the case. It’s probably the most open mobile platform you can find. Root it and there is nothing you can’t do. And rooting is, most of the times, a very easy process. Of course, it depends on the device, but put in enough research and root can be achieved. Some less popular devices don’t have any rooting methods. More precisely, no one (with enough skills) has put in any effort into rooting. And were you to compare it with its alternative (iOS, Windows Phone…), you could say that it isn’t even locked the slightest.

Well, all in all, if your problem isn’t solved, of what meaning is it to you. I’m afraid you’ll have to bear with it for the time being.

Viet told me that API support for reviews and lessons was planned and once they get EtoEto off their hands a bit, they’ll work on it. When that happens, we won’t need to use a browser for reviews in the app, the app will handle reviews (and lessons) natively. 

Well, for the reasons, both are incorrect. For 1, you can change your system font in Settings -> Display and if you used a japanese font, it would fix the issue there. Problem is, can’t install fonts on a system level unless you’re rooted (or are on a Samsung device) And 2, apps are allowed to use additional fonts, either their own, or fonts from other apps and the system apps even. The validity of the ability to install new fonts is definitely questionable, however…

As for the problem of apps that make use of fonts, it’s a double-edged sword, there. There’s too few of them (they DO exist) because of that, but also that exists because there’s too few of them. It’s a revolving circle of blame. Well that and touch input isn’t exactly suited to that kind of thing.

Rooting is the process of breaking the locks on the device by placing the phone in a particular mode that should only be available to maintenence technicians and salesmen, that kind of thing. I know it’s relatively unlocked compared to the other two, but it’s still frustrating when such an important feature is locked down, there’s no roots available to get past the problem, I’m honestly not willing to put the time into learning how to make roots (I’m a computer programmer), and well… It sucks, ya know?

Also that’s great to hear about the review API support, it sure beats the alternative (code a browser from the ground up instead of using the android browser API that contains this issue). Although I wonder still if there’s some sort of impossibility with that, given that all browsers I’ve used share that API and issue.

On another note, when is Eto Eto taking off? I’ve been interested in it but I haven’t been keeping up on it.

Well, I was referring to pure Android (AOSP), which doesn’t have any font options to users. And when I said “no apps make use of fonts” I meant it like, apps not displaying a list of fonts and making use of these fonts while creating content. In Microsoft word for instance, you would select a font from what you have installed and use it to style your document. There is no such occurrence in android. At least, none that I saw. 

And yeah, though I possess a fair amount of knowledge on android rooting/flashing/hacking, I probably wouldn’t be able to root a new device unless it is very simple (possible by conventional methods).

In any case, who cares. It wouldn’t hurt anyone to be able to install custom/additional fonts. I’m not against the idea, if that’s how it sounded. I just thought it wasn’t really a necessary thing thinking about it generally…

Well, I haven’t done a deep research, but I believe we could, at least, edit the page code and make it use the font in our app package.

About EtoEto, in the email from 23rd of last month, this was written:
“All TextFugu Forever members will get a free membership to EtoEto when it’s ready. You’ll also get the opportunity to alpha/beta test in the coming months.”.

If you root your phone, there is an App called “Kanji Fix” which solves the Issue for you. But since android is so stupid with fonts, you need root access.
Personally i rooted my phone just because of this issue.

I’d like to point out that most of the errors are easily recognizable. And that none of them are really “wrong” per se, they are simply some less standard variants. And, if you ever want to read much of the stylized Kanji that is out there, it’d behoove you to get used to that.

The only thing that’d be truly wrong would be to use a Chinese simplified character, like  instead of 

Naryoril said... If you root your phone, there is an App called "Kanji Fix" which solves the Issue for you. But since android is so stupid with fonts, you need root access.
 I think you are overreacting. The Chinese font stuff may be stupid, but saying that android is stupid because it doesn't let users install fonts without hacks... Android is a mobile OS. You can't compare it to a desktop OS just like that! 

It’s far better than iOS. I’m pretty sure you can’t even turn on your iPhone without a written note of permission from Apple.

xip said...
Naryoril said... If you root your phone, there is an App called "Kanji Fix" which solves the Issue for you. But since android is so stupid with fonts, you need root access.
 I think you are overreacting. The Chinese font stuff may be stupid, but saying that android is stupid because it doesn't let users install fonts without hacks... Android is a mobile OS. You can't compare it to a desktop OS just like that! 

Not to be picky but technically they said android is stupid with fonts, not that the os is stupid. 

leonvlight said...
xip said...

Not to be picky but technically they said android is stupid with fonts, not that the os is stupid. 

Doesn't that just mean "android is stupid when it comes to fonts"?

Yeah, but thats one part of how the os  works being called stupid.  Not a overall statement about the os. 

If I say person A is stupid at something, it still means he has that stupidity. Well, whatever! Let’s not drag this any further. It’s pretty pointless. Let android be stupid. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, good call.