[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

I discovered this app yesterday and it’s really amazing, it solves basically all of my gripes with standard WK, I think I’ll do all of my study through this app from now on.

Thanks a lot!

3 Likes

Wow must be pretty cool to share that with your spouse, I envy you :smiley:

I’m on Android 9 on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium, however, no matter how often I delete and reinstall it won’t take my key. Even going “deep” and deleting cache and saved data first before uninstalling didn’t fix the issue.
Does anyone have some other ideas?

Are you using the default read only key or did you create a key that has writing permissions?

I created a new key with all the permissions asked for by the app

I would say if you share with me your key I would test it for you. But there’s no way to do that privately… Do you have another device you can test on?

unfortunately not, would have done so then :frowning:
I mean my account is fairly new as I lost the credentials to my old account, so I wouldn’t mind to post it publicly, as there is merely some damage to be done.
Edit: I tried it with the token of jakeipuu, which works in their app but I got the same error. I also disabled my WiFi to change the IP that is accessing to no avail.

I uhhh… Don’t know. Sounds like it might be a phone specific problem?.. Maybe the developer or someone else has an idea?

I’ve just had 外す come up for review but it didn’t appear on Flaming Durtles (while it was available on the website).

This entry was moved from a lower level (I think 3) to a much higher one that I haven’t unlocked yet, so I presume that’s the issue. On the website the entry remains available and part of SRS (despite now being on a locked level) while the app seems to “forget” it.

Not a huge deal but I thought it was worth mentioning.

As I understand it, once an item gets added to your review pile, it remains available for review even if the item gets moved up to a higher level.

Have you tried resetting the database on the Flaming Durtles app?

This explains how to do it:

Understood, I’ve just reset the database, we’ll see if that solves the issue.

There’s a light and dark theme, but could a “Follow system theme” be added?

And if you do, while at itn you could play with adding a dynamic theme based on “Material You” (and also add a Material You launcher icon).

Here’s a starting point for the first option:

For the second you may use Material Components where possible, if not already: Releases · material-components/material-components-android · GitHub

For the third, you may re-design your app icon in https://icon.kitchen so that you have a monochrome icon.

The issue persists, I got two reviews available in the web interface:

But nothing on the app:

And as expected those are the two items that got moved to level 21 and 15 respectively (I’m at level 7 currently):

Interestingly if I open the entry for these words on the app (before syncing the review I made on web) I see that it does have the correct review dates (14 дек means 14 of December, and it’s currently 14:54 here, so the “Next review” date is in the past):

So the app knows they’re up for review but still ignores them.

1 Like

Hmm, I’m not sure what else to try. You may have found a genuine bug.
We’ll have to ask @ejplugge to check this one out.

I just noticed this kind of discrepancy yesterday. The website showed I had one extra review that didn’t come up on Flaming Durdles. Then I noticed the master level shows higher on the website.

Oh you’re correct, my counts are off as well, Flaming Durtles missing a few entries.

I really think the app just ignores entries from higher levels than the one you’re at, which is usually reasonable but creates these issues after the content update that shuffled some entries around to higher levels.

1 Like

Glad to see you’re back. I know you were very active here for a while and then just disappeared. I had wondered if something happened.

Hello, I really like the app. Today I got my first vocab with katakana. I want to write テーブル but don’t know how to type the ー. :sweat_smile: I am using a regular keyboard, not a japanese one for the app.

That’s not a direct answer to your question but I’ve been using the ten key/flick keyboard in Gboard on my phone to input japanese and found it very easy to learn. It does let you cheat a little bit since the kanji conversion will tell you ahead of time if your input is correct (at least for vocabulary, not necessarily for single kanji) but I kind of like this “feature”, it lets me identify typos ahead of time. And I mean, if you really don’t know the reading it won’t give it to you…

You could try typing hyphen (-)

1 Like