[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

ejplugge ded?

Their profile says 9 minutes read time over the past 60 days. So might be checking out the thread every now and then.

optimistic lol

Anyone know if its possible to replicate the function of the Lesson Filter script in the app? I study a set amount of kanji and vocab items per day (5 Kanji/15 Vocab). I have my level up items on priority so when I go to do lessons, it obviously gives me all the kanji first. Closest way I found was to set max number lesson items to 20, then max Kanji to 5 and Vocab 15. But then I have to learn them all in one batch.

Can we hide the review counter on the top left when doing our reviews? Seeing x/200+ stresses me out. :frowning:

I really love the app, but the last update made the user experience kinda bad.
That is when youā€™ve activated the undo functionality, meaning the background tasks will be handled in one big batch.
With the latest update you canā€™t really do anything until the background tasks are all done - not even look at kanji detail pages. You also canā€™t start new lessons or do reviews, you have to wait until everything is done. Before the update everything was fine.
I will definitely continue to use this app, but Iā€™m thinking of downgrading to the previous version, if I can find it anywhere.

Also a feature request: it would be soooo nice to have the option to remain on the self study quiz page after completing a quiz. At least I tend to do multiple self studies, but I have to manually navigate to that page again inbetween.

Which version of the software do you have installed? I havenā€™t seen any update I think in two years. (Iā€™m on version 2.2.1, myself.)

If you disable the ā€œDelay processing quiz resultsā€ in the lesson/review settings, does that help any?

I have it enabled, and I have issues similar to yours, although not as bad. I can still navigate around during the sync, but there are definitely delays on actions taking plan. (Itā€™s always been like this for me.) My device is a 2014 Samsung smartphone.

There was an update pushed yesterday, 2.3.0

Update for Android 12 support, refreshing internal components and libraries to recent versions, removing use of (now) deprecated APIs.

2 Likes

Seems my device doesnā€™t see it. Good to know!

Iā€™m on the newest version that has been released yesterday, itā€™s v2.3.0 as Kappa421 said.
I think disabling the delayed processing of the quiz results would help, but I really like the undo function, which would be disabled if Iā€™d disable the delayed processing.
I didnā€™t know Flaming Durtles was open source, I may have a look at it myself and create a pull request :slight_smile: But since ejplugge knows their code better than I do, I think it would be faster if heā€™d have a look at it, if itā€™s considered unintended behaviour.

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely unintended. I put out an update for Android 12 support since Google has decided to start downranking apps that donā€™t keep up-to-date with the latest and (cough) greatest, but Googleā€™s Android 12 framework is messing up a few things something fierce. Widgets were hosed (and now at least somewhat fixed), background processing was hosed and some of the most useful components for it have been deprecated, things like that. Itā€™s a mess, but I thought I had it under control. Apparently notā€¦ :frowning:

I think I know why this background task thing is happening, Iā€™ll see if I can whip it into shape quickly. Disabling the delayed processing of quiz results will help a bit as a temporary workaround. I think I missed this one since I normally only test with very small session sizes.

There may also be an issue with text selection action modes, that oneā€™s even more of a head-scratcher, but at least thatā€™s a relatively minor issue.

13 Likes

Update 2.3.1 is now on the store to fix the background task issue.

14 Likes

Thank you for the support. Any way to pay you a cup of coffee?

3 Likes

thank you so much, that was really fast! I tested it, works just like it was before <3

No, please donā€™t. I wouldnā€™t feel comfortable taking anyoneā€™s money for the app at the moment, considering I went AWOL for the better part of two years and I canā€™t promise it wonā€™t happen again.

5 Likes

Then at least a big thanks from our community for the awesome app :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™d be happy if you set up an account on ko-fi or similar too. Iā€™d feel less bad about asking for features.

Is it possible to add a feature that lets us hide WKā€™s meaning/reading mnemonic? Some of my custom one or two sentence notes are infinitely better than some of their mnemonics, especially the long ones.

2 Likes

Omg youā€™re around! I just saw on the Play Store that the app had been updated and instantly came here to check. A massive thank you from me (and everyone else using this app), as youā€™ve made doing WK a lot easier and more convenient for all of us. Weā€™re super grateful!

2 Likes

@Zuriel45 better ask in here, youā€™ll have a lot more chances to get assistance. Iā€™ve not had any issues with it, but maybe others have.

Thank you, hopefully someone else has the issue or knows how to resolve it.