[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

Yes, check how chinese and japanese writings differ there:
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/令

1 Like

KameSame’s solution for this is that another button appears at the bottom right corner in place of the vanished enter key.

1 Like

Apperently they are both correct, the new version you see is the handwritten version and it shows up on books. Go the Jisho page of that kanji and check the steps far writing it, you will see what I mean.

Is it planned to add a shuffle lessons order and/or an option to choose which level one’s gonna get lessons from? I usually have vocab lessons from 3 levels and like to do a few of each level. With the sort by (reverse) level you’d either get lessons from level 9 and 11 but not 10 for example.

Btw I love how after a session the numbers and graph change, it’s so cool to watch. :smiley:

Yes, it is, and I use it when it exists. Specifically, any subject can have any number of ‘hidden’ auxiliary meanings that are not shown but that will be accepted (for whitelist entries) or rejected (for blacklist entries). If your answer is closer to a blacklist entry than to a normal or whitelist entry, then your answer will be rejected.

So if ‘good’ were blacklisted for ‘root’, then answering ‘good’ would be rejected by Flaming Durtles. However, for this radical it’s actually the other way around. ‘Good’ is listed as a whitelist entry for ‘root’. I’m guessing this radical was named ‘good’ in the past and was renamed to ‘root’ in a content update.

"meanings": [
      {
        "meaning": "Root", 
        "accepted_answer": true, 
        "primary": true
      }
    ], 
    "auxiliary_meanings": [
      {
        "meaning": "Good", 
        "type": "whitelist"
      }
    ], 

Oh, I know the onboarding process leaves a lot to be desired, and I’ll take your feedback along. It’s just not as easy as it looks. What I find far more concerning is that it can apparently take more than 10 minutes. Even though with your specs your phone should be able to zip through it in about a minute, double that to compensate for poor connectivity, but no more… I think that is a far bigger problem right now.

Not always, but it can happen, yes. Especially if the current ‘bucket’ in the sorting order is nearly empty already. But the sorting order specified in settings is always strictly adhered to. So if you sort by Level, for example, and you have items in level 10, 11, and 12, then all items in level 10 must be completely finished before the first item of level 11 is shown, and likewise the level 11 items must be done before the level 12 items are started.

Using reorder is already dangerous for various reasons (that’s why it’s hidden behind a warning dialog), but if the user specifies an order I adhere to it strictly. I really don’t want to second-guess the user and say ‘well, I know you said order by level, but I’m going to mess it up for you anyway’.

That can work, I’ll give it a try. It’ll be a bit imprecise because not all soft keyboards put the ‘enter’ or ‘next’ keys in the same place, and the app doesn’t see the keyboard itself. But maybe it’ll be good enough.

I have to admit that I am somewhat out of my depth here, I know jack about Chinese and I’m still an early learner for Japanese, and I can’t speak with any authority about font variations or simplified forms. But I do know Unicode in general, and there are a few rules that usually apply:

1. Unicode explicitly doesn’t regulate how a character should look, only what a character’s identity is. Fonts can have wide variations and as a developer I don’t have any control over that except to switch to a completely different font.
  2. As a rule, new forms of a character will get a new Unicode code point assigned just to avoid mixing old and new, if the difference between old and new is large enough that it can be considered a new character. Chinese simplified forms are often so drastically different from traditional forms that they should get different code points. Flaming Durtles doesn’t use those different code points unless WK uses them as well, I am strictly following WK’s lead here.
  3. There is absolutely no consensus within Unicode or outside it as to when rules 1 and 2 apply. It’s a very delicate political balance, and what’s in Unicode right now is very much a “lesser of two evils” kind of situation.

I am looking into supporting different fonts so users can take some degree of control over this issue themselves, but I don’t think I will ever be able to do something here that will please everybody.

It is now :slight_smile:. I don’t see much use for it for myself, but adding a ‘shuffle’ option to lessons should be easy enough. It’s not in there now because the site doesn’t offer it either and I don’t want it for myself. I’m iffy about choosing a level explicitly since I’d rather not have the extra interruption of a screen/dialog where you make that choice. For self-study it’s kind of necessary by its nature, but for the core functionality of lessons and reviews I want to keep it ‘one tap and go’.

3 Likes

I’d really appreciate the option to change fonts!

1 Like

On browsers you can force the system to use a Japanese font, even if the default font for Chinese characters is Chinese, by forcing a lang="ja" into the HTML tag of the element. I’m not sure how you’ve implemented it, but if it’s a TextView with an XML definition, you can try the same in the XML tag :thinking: . I’ll do some testing of my own when I get home today, or tomorrow, and see if I can come up with something. In theory, the Japanese fonts should be installed, but Android’s stupid, and you have to explicitly set the system language to Japanese in order for it to use them by default, otherwise it defaults to Chinese.

Edit: I wonder if there’s any way of making the Android app use Japanese language by default from the manifest file. I know you can have your Android resources files separated by language :thinking: so that might(?) be a way to do this?

1 Like

It is. However, there is no option to override a language setting for a single TextView instance as far as I can tell. Something like lang=“ja” just doesn’t exist at that level, and while you can put some HTML tags into a TextView, that only supports a few tags and no fancy options like the lang attribute.

Android has a ton of ways to localize content for specific languages, but it’s all based on the app adjusting to the device settings, not the other way around. “The user wants Japanese, so deal with that” is the common scenario. What I want is “I don’t care what the user’s settings are, this bit of text is Japanese, so deal with that”. And the Android localization infrastructure just doesn’t like that.

There are some ugly, unsupported tricks to set the system language only for one app, but that’s not what I want either since the app is mostly English language - there are just a few TextViews here and there that may contain Japanese. Setting the system language ‘helpfully’ changes a lot of things to Japanese that it should leave alone.

It’s something I’m still experimenting with, but so far the only options I’ve come up with that actually work reliably are a) to use a different font or b) to change the system language setting.

So if you can find another way, I’d love to hear it :wink: , but it’s trickier than it should be…

1 Like

If you add Japanese as a second language on your device it should display correctly. It’s an old Android issue not by any means isolated to the app

2 Likes

I have a couple requests:

• The indicator sometimes blocks the information for a few seconds, can you add some padding so the item doesnt get blocked by it? There’s lots of space (i use anki mode):

• Add the option to display the item types(radical, kanji, vocab) instead of interval of items(apprentice, guru, master, enlightened) on the timeline. Blue for radical, pink for kanji, purple for vocab.
2 Likes

i mean i can test that for you if you add some debug to the app, but with better visualisation a user might be actually able to report themselves what the problem is. anyway thanks for considering what i said

i know what u mean. personally i reorder by srs stage, type and accidentally did srs stage, type, level before however it sometimes seems as if that doesnt work correctly, gonna have to so more testing.
i think having a option to push wrongly answered items a few back would be appreciated. i mean yes reordering is dangerous but this makes is a bit better

That’s solving the issue, many thanks. I think kanji learners here should definitely use the correct kanji set (ie. Not simplified chinese) to start with.

2 Likes

Also it would nice if you can please display the the markers for the next critical items to pass to the current level.

1 Like

I’m having some trouble with the app… I just tried learning some new words and after finishing the quiz I got:

After seeing this I went to the web broswer on my phone and saw that wanikani wasn’t updated (like i never had done the lessons). I did them now on the web, but the app still shows the same message.

Not sure if relevant, but after finishing the lesson the app told me I had one mistake, which seemed kind of weird bc. it really dosn’t matter at this stage…

I just finished exchaning some email with another user who had the same problem, and I have figured out what’s wrong. It’s a nasty little bug in the app.

It happens if you unlock items while you are offline or while you are having network problems, and then do the lessons for those items without syncing in the mean time.

For now, the only solution is to flush your background tasks from the menu. You’ll lose unsynced progress, but the current version of the app just can’t handle this situation. Sorry about that :frowning:

To avoid it until I can get an update out, make sure to do a sync after unlocking new items. Once you do a sync, everything you have unlocked up to that point is fine, the problem happens only when the app decides you have unlocked something, but WK hasn’t seen that happen yet.

Getting out a fix for this is now my top priority, but considering it’s the weekend I don’t know how long it’ll sit in the queue before Google approves it…

True, it doesn’t really matter, but the lesson/review system in the app doesn’t know about your problems with this bug. As far as the app knows, you’re just having temporary network problems and your progress (including that mistake) will be synced when you get back to a good connection. Just finish or abandon the session.

1 Like

I have submitted 1.6.0 to Google for approval. It’s mostly to fix a nasty bug (see above), but there are a few other improvements in there that were ready to go already.

Version 1.6.0, 2019-08-31:

• Optional background sync.
  • Correct question input hint for meaning questions.
  • Put notifications in category ‘recommendation’ instead of ‘reminder’.
  • Wrap up session doesn’t require completing the current item if it hasn’t been answered at least once already.
  • Squeeze in the SRS up/downgrade toast a little to avoid overlap.
  • Show a small up-arrow in the timeline chart over bars that contain items you need to pass to level up.
  • Fixed a nasty bug where syncing could get stuck if you unlock new items while offline.
6 Likes

I had this happen. You need to generate a new API which allows access to write as well as read your WK data. I’ve scrolled back to find the info for you on what you need to select when you create another API for FD.

Hopefully this solves your issue.

Google was quick to approve this one. You should be able to get it from the store now, and with this version I can’t reproduce the bug anymore.

2 Likes

You are a lifesaver omg. Like I can’t thank you enough for this app, it literally has everything I need, thank you so much, really excited to use this.

2 Likes

This really is a great app!!!

I’ve been using WK for Android (it’s the only available option for those who can’t have access to a PC regularly and have an android phone).

Love the FD interface. Love the improvements that keep filtering through. Love how customisable FD is. Love that you can use FD offline. Love the timeline (and watching it change before your eyes after completing reviews). It’s all round a thing of beauty. Thank you so much for creating this app!!

My only addition or request would be to enable the jitai script that allows the use of different fonts. To date、I haven’t been able to use scripts bc of the limitations of the WK app、but think it would be a really good learning tool to be able to see the kanji written in different styles. That said、I know zero about tech stuff and figure that it may not be possible and respect that.

Anyways、thank you for your hard work.