[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

The API v1 shutdown killed my old app and I jumped over to yours. Just wanted to say thank you - my first 100 review session worked really well! Cheers :beers:

3 Likes

Feature suggestion:

A way of practise reviews of similar kanji.

Many times I know which kanji Wanikani is asking me simply because itā€™s together with other kanji I know, but, If I were to distinguish between similar looking kanji, I would not be able to tell them apart.

I donā€™t know how interested other people are in this feature or how useful it is, but itā€™s just a suggestion.

Iā€™m a data scientist, working with python so perhaps I could try using the api. maybe if I donā€™t find this anywhere I can just simply make a script of some sort that helps me practise it. But I donā€™t know how to make apps for other though

5 Likes

Hi, Similar kanji will be mostly (but not totally) related to the same phono-semantic components. So maybe this kind of quizz will be better implemented once phono-semantic is implemented.
Because WKā€™s list of similar kanji is very limited, imho.

As others Iā€™ve moved over to this app since API v2 broke my old one. So far Iā€™m loving it and not looking back :slight_smile:

I have only one suggestion. When ā€œTimeline chart sizeā€ is larger than ā€œPart of timeline chart shown at onceā€, scrolling left and right on the timeline also scrolls the whole page vertically if you happen to move your finger up or down. It would be really nice if you could lock the vertical scrolling while scrolling horizontally in the timeline.

Thanks again for the great app!

Hi, Iā€™ve just enabled the back-to-back option (reading first) and really like it. However, if I get the reading wrong the app will immediately ask for it again. Is it possible to make both the reading and the meaning move to a different position in the queue (but still together) when I get one wrong, similar to how the individual cards work when not back-to-back?

1 Like

I know this is probably unsolicited advice, but there is a reason why WaniKani displays things separately - itā€™s based on a scientifically recognised principle called interleaving:

Thanks for the info. I just did a bit more reading about the advantages and disadvantages of back-to-back, and have come to the conclusion that back-to-back with reading first just suits me better.

I can see the appeal in being able to go kanji/vocab ā†’ reading and kanji/vocab ā†’ meaning individually rather than having to go kanji/vocab ā†’ reading ā†’ meaning. But, for me I donā€™t mind (even prefer) having my understanding of the meaning being more based on the reading.

But Iā€™m just a level 4 so I might be wrong yet. Weā€™ll see how it goes.

Please donā€™t get me wrong. Iā€™m not trying to diminish your contribution in any way.:blush: Iā€™ve just thought Iā€™d throw my 2 cents: I donā€™t think this holds true for everyone. Iā€™ve tried both methods during my WK journey and have not noticed any difference whatsoever. Typing is another thing that does not seem to play a role in my case. The things that make the biggest difference for me is encountering the words in the wild and mnemonics that really resonate with my childish, crazy psyche. Since I have a storytelling driven mind, a strong mnemonic can make me recognize a kanji 72 hours later with no reviewing in between whatsoever. A weaker one will probably turn the kanji into an insta-leech and no amount of interleaving or typing seem to help. Only patience and pain do the trick. :joy: Removing interleaving and typing can save a lot of time if use wisely. Some people might see a drop in accuracy, some people wonā€™t. I guess that what I want to say is that when it comes to learning there are a few hard truths and in my humble opinion this is not one of them. Whether one wants to take the risk and deviate from the path that the Crabigator in its infinite wisdom designed for us mere mortals is a different story. :wink:

1 Like

That sounds really interesting and helpful for me!

Anyway, if you donā€™t want to be tested for the same group of kanji all the time, all that you have to do is fail some of them and theyā€™ll eventually get mixed :joy: :joy:

Hi @ejplugge,

Iā€™ve noticed that recently whenever I type in an answer and advance to the next item, the keyboard loses focus and I have to re-activate it manually again. Iā€™ve tried with lightning mode on/off, same result either way.
Iā€™m using Android 8 with the built-in Samsung keyboard.

I have a feature request. I sometimes like to use a handwriting input system with Flaming Durtles so I can practice writing in hiragana. It also helps my memory. However, I hate having to constantly switch between Japanese and English handwriting recognition. Is it possible to set it to quiz all the readings in a set, and then quiz all the meanings? That way I would only have to switch keyboards once per set.

Whatā€™s the meaning of the frequency range and leeches in the self study?

I finished the last lessons that it gave me like over a month ago, and itā€™s been giving me like 1 review a day since and no new lessons
Is this a bug or is it because I still have guru level ones to complete

You have exactly 356 items, which is the number of items in level 1-3. Levels 1 to 3 are free, to continue after level 3 youā€™ll have to get a subscription. Did you get one?

1 Like

well donā€™t I feel like a fool :man_facepalming: thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been avoiding installing any 3rd party WK app on my phone for a long time, for ā€œreasonsā€, but just finished my first review on FD and I have to say, ā€œWow.ā€ @ejplugge What a nicely designed, and feature rich, app.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to report what I consider a bug but you may not consider it as is.

It doesnā€™t happen on all level, but it happened today on level 19 and I think I got that one two or three time on level 13-16 (very unsure).

I do not always have the time to do all my review, but I try to keep up with the one that handles the level up - namely radicals and kanji of current level - and wrap up the session after these are done when I do not have more time.

In review advanced settings, I have set:

• Overdue items first
  • Priority: Level-up items first

These does not always work.
I sometime have current level radical (or kanji, but on level 19 it was two radicals) that are not marked as level-up items.

• when that happens, the incriminated items doesnā€™t appear in the top of the queue for review
  • if I have more items in review thant my max review session count, these incriminated items are or are not in the batch
  • these incriminated items arenā€™t showed in the timeline count of level up items
  • on level 19, of the 7 radicals only 6 of thems were marked as levelup item. I had to skim through to get the seventh (wich was ꈑ)

Hi @ejplugge, do you plan on participating in hacktoberfest? You might get a number of people keen to help with issues and such. Iā€™d probably be able to help with something small.

https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/hacktoberfest-update

Thanks for your work.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it! I experimented a bit with the advanced settings and found what I needed with the optional Skip button

I need advice (please :))

During reviews, I usually encounter a word that I wanna leave for later - that is, not answer - on PC and in the old WK app, I would just F5 or quit the review session and start a new one, and Iā€™d get different words + it remembers the old ones I already partially did

Now this app, Flaming Durtles, I just started using it and whenever I encounter a word I would like to skip for now, I quit the session and when I go back the session starts in the same place (it remembers the word and goes back right to it). So I canā€™t skip it!

How can I override this?

Does the ā€œI donā€™t knowā€ button do this? Or does it mark it as failed immediately?

I often skip the words because when doing Burns, I might remember the meaning the next day (which is good enough for me, I have a slow tempo of learning), so it would be a deal breaker if thereā€™s no functionality for this

Thanks!

Hello,
Can you share the userscript name please?
I also like the idea and would like to try it out myself.

Cheers :smile: