[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

Many thanks for coming back to me so fast. I disabled it for the time being. It really is no biggie. I am not sure how the rest of the user base are taking advantage of it but my case is an edge scenario: Since I use Anki mode, whenever I get a set of reviews where my recollection is specially good, I tend to inadvertently go a bit too fast and sometimes I mark an item as correct just by pure knee-jerk reflex. In those cases, unlimited undos come in handy. Another solution is to be a bit more mindful and go a tad slower which comes with its own set of advantages. :wink:

My app is doing a weird thing all of a sudden :grimacing:

1 Like

This is related to the removal of a field (the ā€˜passedā€™ field) from the assignments in the API. I adjusted the code for the app to handle this situation, but this can still happen if the app has incorrect data.

Either your assignment data in the API servers is incorrect, or the app failed to sync properly for you a while back when the assignment data was backfilled for this.

Chances are you can easily fix this by doing a database reset from the settings menu. You wonā€™t lose any of your progress or settings, only your search presets and your current session (if you have one) will disappear. I expect that will fix the problem. If not, please let me know, you might have a problem with your assignments in the WK database.

1 Like

Hmā€¦I tried what you suggested but I keep getting the server connection error.

Hitting the retry button makes it load for like a second and then it comes up again.

Can you double check what version of the app you have? (Settings ā†’ About)

If youā€™re not on the latest version (2.2.1) youā€™ll have to update to the latest version from the app store.

1 Like

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

Is there any way to set the app to notify when a new update is available?

Yes, but not in FD itself. You can set such notifications in the Play Store app. Open that app, go to Settings ā†’ Notifications, and enable the Updates setting.

Or, even better, enable auto-updating for all apps.

1 Like

Recently my spell check for the meaning has disappeared. My English spelling sucks so I definitely need it.

I have a Pixel and use Gboard. Iā€™ve played around in the settings of the app, but canā€™t get it back.

Am I late to an update or did we just get one two days ago?

Either way, this app is crazy, dev. WaniKani should pay you and make it official. Thereā€™s even a stroke-order gif for every radical/kanji now. This is nuts

2 Likes

I havenā€™t changed anything in the keyboard handling for some time, whatever changed was not in the app. Iā€™m looking into another userā€™s keybaord issues (although with a different keyboard), maybe that will improve things for you as well. But if this changed for you recently, that must have been caused by a gboard update or changes in the gboard settings.

No, I havenā€™t published any updates for a couple of weeks now. May be the Play Store app on your device was a bit slow to push the latest update for you? Or maybe you donā€™t have automatic updates enabled?

Earlier this week the WK devs turned off some obsolete functionality in the API, which caused older versions of FD to stop working. FD has been prepared for this for nearly two months, but it seems a number of people donā€™t have automatic app updates enabled and got bitten by that change. Versions of FD older than about two months ago will not work anymore.

The problem has fixed itself, it must have been a Gboard problem

Does anyone know if thereā€™s a way to make Lessons show more similarly to how they do in WK, ie with the meaning/reading etc mnemonics on separate screens that you tap or swipe through? :smiley:

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with the search?
E.g. if I click on apprentice to show me all items that are apprentice level it only shows 3 items. I infact have 30. Iā€™ve tried playing around with selecting all the other settings but never had any luck getting it to work properly. Anyone got any ideas or is this bugged?

No, there is no option for that. The subject info dump is always shown as a single, vertically scrollable view.

I fixed a bug related to this in a recent update. Can you double check that you have the latest version of the app (Settings ā†’ About)? If youā€™re not on version 2.2.1, get the latest version from the Play Store and it should work as expected there.

1 Like

How do you get the stroke order? I canā€™t find it.

Yes I am running 2.2.1, I should clarify though that the problem seems to be with advanced search not normal search.

Also clicking on the front screen on apprentice / guru etc does the same thing only showing 3 out of an expected 30.

You can enable them in Settings ā†’ Subject Info

Hm, that shouldnā€™t be an issue with the most recent version anymore. Could you upload your debug log (last option in the Settings ment) so I can see the exact queries the app is running?

2 Likes

I decided to try resetting the database earlier and it appears that it has fixed the issue. Iā€™ve uploaded the debug log anyway if its still worth looking into.

Congratulations on the amazing app. Itā€™s all I use right now.

Is there a way when doing lessons to be the vocabulary first? I want to consolidate my knowledge for a week or so and donā€™t want to do new items except vocabulary

I personally use default WK for lessons since I enjoy that view too. I just made a shortcut icon on my phoneā€™s home screen that leads to the WK website and do my lessons there, reviews in FD.

Only problem is you wonā€™t be able to reorder lessons in default WK, but I prefer sticking to default order anyway.