[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

Please also add an option for making undo work like it used to. Now when I undo (because I accidentally clicked on correct when I got it wrong) an item I have to remember to get it wrong again

Might be easier to make the ā€œignoreā€ act like how the new ā€œundoā€ acts, and make the new ā€œundoā€ work like it used to, maybe? :man_shrugging:

It seems the expected behavior ā€œignoreā€ and ā€œundoā€ buttons are known from many, but I cannot find a description of them.
Could someone explain what ā€œignoreā€ supposed to do? push the current item at the back of the queue?

Ignore marks the result of the current quiz as ā€œcorrectā€ which itā€™ll be as if you just answered it correctly.

I suppose, but then Iā€™m sure people will complain that the old Ignore button functionality is gone :sweat_smile:

If there is one thing I have learned from writing this app is that if there are five ways to do something and you implement three of them, then suddenly people will come up with three more ways and want to have those tooā€¦ :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I donā€™t think scrolling did anything for me, but maybe I didnā€™t scroll down far enough. Iā€™ll try again when it comes up for reviews next time! :smiley:

Add a new ignore&shuffle option that does what ignore does now and restore ignore to its old functionality, i think everyone would be happy this way :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found a bug.

When the vocabulary 姉 came up for review I entered 恗 and instead of marking it wrong the input box shook, givng me another chance. (I ended up cheating and got my 恂恭 streak up to 5 for the first time. In the name of bug testing, of course!)

This is expected behavior for kanji reviews, but for vocab itā€™s a wrong answer.

I think I agree.

1 Like

Many thanks for this, Itā€™s way easier like this!

And Iā€™m already in love with this one. (Thanks to thoses who proposed it too)

Thank you for this update, and good luck with the following!

1 Like

Hey hey! Just some continued praise here. I really love your app and I super thank you for all the work youā€™ve put in (and the amount of time you spent responding to itā€™s community)

1 Like

This is actually deliberate, similar to when you type the reading in romaji when a meaning answer is requested.

1 Like

I think I saw the same as @ianegg, where it was asking for the reading of a single-kanji vocabulary word, and I put in the kanji reading (wrong) and it shook. In this case, it should have been wrong because that is never the reading of the vocabulary. I didnā€™t take note of which vocabulary it was and what I entered, but Iā€™ve been meaning to experiment, and then post here afterwards. (Personally, I need to learn to pay attention to color so I donā€™t put the kanji reading in for vocabulary.)

Edit: Worth mentioning, if it did mark it as wrong, in this one case, I would have said to myself, ā€œOops, I put the kanji reading because I wasnā€™t paying attention. I know the vocabulary reading.ā€ Then I would have hit Undo, and put in the vocabulary reading and continued on. But if I didnā€™t know the vocabulary reading, Iā€™d take the wrong.

I think an argument could be made that it shouldnā€™t even be an option. Thereā€™s (generally) only one way you should read each vocabulary, and if you donā€™t use the right reading then itā€™s flat out wrong.

Itā€™s OK for kanji because there are various readings and WK is just asking for a specific one, but for vocab you need to drill the right answer into your brain when you make the mistake.

1 Like

It happens on every single-kanji vocabulary where the matching kanji has more than one reading. I specifically look up the matching kanji in those cases and do the shake-and-retry thing for readings that are listed on the kanji but not on the vocab.

That is actually effectively the same thing. The shake-and-retry is essentially the same as getting it wrong and hitting undo. Since I donā€™t use the undo/ignore buttons myself except for testing, this is mostly a convenience for people who donā€™t want to use those buttons.

There are a lot of options in the app that can be argued shouldnā€™t be there for various reasons. Most of the settings under ā€œAdvanced settingsā€, actually. Theyā€™re still there because different people like to use WK in different ways. In the end, there is a reason that things like Anki mode are not available in the core product as offered by WK, and probably never will be, even though itā€™s very popular among the people who specifically want it.

Iā€™ll turn it into an option of some kind. Itā€™s definitely going to stay in one form or another since I use it myself.

1 Like

Yup, in this case itā€™s the same thing, because I wasnā€™t paying attention to it asking for vocabulary, and I knew the vocabulary reading. And if I didnā€™t know the vocabulary reading, Iā€™d go with ā€œDonā€™t Knowā€ which is the same as if it marked as wrong and didnā€™t shake. I just wanted to be sure the situation @ianegg encountered was understood =)

I think the main ā€œissueā€ for me is that it works differently from the web site, but I personally donā€™t mind it being the way itā€™s implemented in the app. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

1 Like

If you look through the forums there are a lot of requests/queries regarding this issue, and the general consensus from more experienced learners it that itā€™s detrimental to do this. Thereā€™s always undo/ignore if you disagree.

I see the reason to having it, but youā€™re potentially harming your/other peopleā€™s progress by implementing it. You do clearly state this on the advanced setting option.

Perhaps any features that differ too much from the default behavior should be optional. Itā€™s difficult to distinguish between convenience and making things easier, especially in the early stages.

What I find very amusing about those kinds of threads is that those arguments are almost never supported by anything more than ā€œin my experienceā€ or a bunch of handwaving and donā€™t take into account the fact that everybody learns in their own way. I donā€™t like to dictate to people whatā€™s good for them based on my own standards. I hide the really dangerous stuff behind a ā€œthere be dragons hereā€ warning, but beyond that I expect people to think for themselves. And yeah, that means that sometimes people make decisions that are bad for them. Thatā€™s a big risk with any self-study method that lacks the oversight of a professional educator. Actually, thatā€™s a big risk with anything, period.

I donā€™t remember where I got the quote from but ā€œif I stop you from doing something stupid, I will also stop you from doing something clever.ā€

As a rule, they are. Thereā€™s just no consensus on what ā€œdiffers too muchā€ actually means.

4 Likes

i wonder how did that work out in the end?

i really do not think that is the best option, i would rather download the fonts within the app and store them in the app user storage, so you do not need to re-download them on every app update.

This is great!

My only complaint/suggestion is Iā€™d love a dark mode. Not sure if itā€™s been mentioned yet or not but I didnt want to read almost 300 posts just to check. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like