[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

In my emulator it ends up looking like this:

I think it looks fine, but I’d love to hear from any non-colourblind peeps, before I make it final :wink:

4 Likes

Looks good to me and reasonably close to what we already have. So I would support that change.

Short question: I saw that you qouted Tsurukame as a source of inspiration for the app, so I’ll assume that you’re familiar with it. When you do reviews there and get a correct answer you still have the option to see the information of the voxab/kanji/radical. Currently, if I’m not mistaken, you can’t do this in your app. Thats kind of unfortunate since I sometimes guess vocab/kanji correctly and would like to view the infos regardless to see what the right mnemonic would be… Woulf adding the “show info” button regardless of correct or incorrect answer be a lot of work? I think Tsurukame handles this by showing you the last vocab/kanji you just did in the left corner of the screen…

Yep, I used it for all my lessons and reviews for a while, until I decided to move away from iOS and to Android. In my mind, Flaming Durtles originally was “Tsurukame for Android”. But because I wanted some things that Tsurukame didn’t have I decided to start from scratch rather than try to port Tsurukame to Android.

You get the “Show all” button on every answer anyway if you have lightning mode disabled. If you have lightning mode enabled and answered a question correctly, you don’t see the button, but the functionality is still there. Once you have finished all questions for an item, you’ll get an option “Last completed item…” in the menu. That will bring up the subject info dump for that item, and it’s the equivalent of the left-bottom-corner button in Tsurukame. I didn’t put it in the main quiz screen because I wanted to save the corners for the “don’t know”, “ignore” and “undo” buttons. I am rather scared of overcrowding that screen :wink:

This only works once you have answered all questions correctly, though. If you answered one correctly but not the other, it won’t show up (or it will link you to the last item you did finish that way), but that’s deliberate. When I still used Tsurukame, you couldn’t do it there either: the left-bottom-corner button only showed up when you answered the last question correctly. I assume Tsurukame still works that way, but I haven’t used the latest update since Flaming Durtles was good enough to take over.

1 Like

Looks good! Easier to distinguish while keeping true to the color palette.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Didn’t know about the menu-option, which works just fine for me👌

P. S. the more I use your app, the more I enjoy it. Switched this week from iOS to Android and was kind of shocked by the WK app for Android (especially compared to Tsurukame)… So thank you for all the work you put in here.

Hey just making sure because you didnt post a reply, did you see my post above about a couple suggestions?

I did, but I forgot to respond since I was kinda distracted by the offline lessons bug… so thanks for the reminder :wink:

This is already in. I don’t want to do too much padding since in non-Anki mode the keyboard limits the amount of space available. But I pushed and squeezed and pinched a little, and now the toast should either not overlap at all anymore, or maybe only a tiny bit in some situations. Have a look. I would prefer not to stretch that part of the UI anymore, but I’ll revisit it if necessary.

This is done, but didn’t make it into the 1.6.0 update because of the bugfix. It’ll be in the next update.

2 Likes

Just did a couple of new lessons and everything went well! Thx again for the fix.

This looks great! Very true to the colour palate of FD、but much clearer in the colour differences of the apprentice stages.

Thank you so much for not only humouring my idea、but actioning it.

I got my first burns today… but no notification on screen about the level up. It was only when I finished the lessons that the numbers migrated into the burned section that I knew it happened.

I thought there were on screen congratulations/notifications? Or is it a setting I should select?

Edit: I just did another set of reviews and got a notification when I leveled items up to master. Not sure why I didn’t see it on the burns.

I was just thinking. When a typo is accepted, due to it being close to the answer, do you think you could implement a toast message saying that it’s
slightly off, like the website does? There are times when I’m not sure I typed in the right answer or just something similar and wrongly leveled the item up.

2 Likes

Thanks for this great app. I apologize if this is already discussed, I didn’t read the entire thread before posting. I noticed that the font used doesn’t always show the “correct” radicals. For instance 空 has fins instead of legs, 画 has a ground on top instead of a leaf and 直 doesn’t contain a lion but rather has a ground attached to the bottom of the eye. Maybe that’s a good thing, as we learn that it’s not always drawn that way, but it makes it harder to remember based on the story…

Check into adding Japanese as a second language on your device. I haven’t tried it out myself yet, but that’s the solution mentioned earlier in the thread. Here’s hoping it works, as I’m affected by it as well. I plan to try the solution this week.

1 Like

This. Sometimes there are font variations, so a certain kanji or radicals may look a bit different on different devices, but Android has the annoying tendency to decide for you that you want Chinese variations rather than Japanese variations. Adding Japanese as a secondary language in your system settings should give you the proper Japanese variations.

1 Like

I like the way the ‘close but no cigar’ script is handling these kind of situations, if ejplugge needs some idea on how to deal with mistypings :

1 Like

This should work, there is nothing special about the logic behind the toast that would treat Burned differently from, say, Master or Enlightened. I think for some reason the app simply must have missed the fact that you got a burn, although I don’t know how that could happen. I’ll have a look at it tonight.

I’ll have a look. Detecting that this happened isn’t too hard. I’m just not keeping the information around right now, so I’ll have to add something so the app remembers that it was “acceptable but not quite right”. The tricky part will be how and where to present it properly, especially in combination with lightning mode…

I went through the logic behind the notifications, and there is absolutely nothing there that makes a difference between Burned and other SRS levels. I did find an issue that occasionally could cause a notification to be missed, especially on older devices, but that applies to all stages equally, not just to Burned.

I’ll have a change to resolve that one issue, hopefully that will be it. Otherwise I have no clue what might be going wrong… Please have a look after the next update drops to see if it may be resolved. I won’t be able to see it go wrong myself for a while yet, since I recently reset my account back to level 1 and my first burns are still months away.

1 Like

When learning some radicals today I noticed that the Tofu radical (lvl. 12) is not beeing displayed correctly.

When I was learning the radical, in the bar next to the “back arrow” where you usually see the radical/kanji/vocab, there was no radical but rather [87…], where the two dots represent two numbers I can’t remember anymore. The radical way displayed correctly in the blue filled box and when asked in reviews, just not in the top box next to the “back arrow”.

Also it seems to occupy more space then the other radicals in the blue box

Regarding notifications, I know the latest update made it so that notifications are less aggressive, but I feel like I am now not getting any notifications. I double checked my system notification settings as well as on the app, and it looks like I should be getting them. Low priority is unchecked. Is there anything I can do to force the notifications?

Hi! First and foremost, you have an amaaazing app, thank you for providing it!
After the praising, of course that there comes some (not urgent) requests:

^ I really miss the “Next Day” section in the app, I think it’s realy quick to implement and could be in that empty space after the burned items.

^ If the placeholder of the meaning answers could be “answer” or something in English like in WK, it would be less confusing to know which answer to provide.

^ Lastly, the most “useless” request: it would be nice to be able to swipe to the next lesson item, instead of having to hold the cellphone with both hands to click to the next one.

Again, thanks for your hard work and the app, the offline feature is the best!!! :heart:

1 Like