[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

thank you so much, that was really fast! I tested it, works just like it was before <3

No, please don’t. I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking anyone’s money for the app at the moment, considering I went AWOL for the better part of two years and I can’t promise it won’t happen again.

4 Likes

Then at least a big thanks from our community for the awesome app :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’d be happy if you set up an account on ko-fi or similar too. I’d feel less bad about asking for features.

Is it possible to add a feature that lets us hide WK’s meaning/reading mnemonic? Some of my custom one or two sentence notes are infinitely better than some of their mnemonics, especially the long ones.

2 Likes

Omg you’re around! I just saw on the Play Store that the app had been updated and instantly came here to check. A massive thank you from me (and everyone else using this app), as you’ve made doing WK a lot easier and more convenient for all of us. We’re super grateful!

2 Likes

@Zuriel45 better ask in here, you’ll have a lot more chances to get assistance. I’ve not had any issues with it, but maybe others have.

Thank you, hopefully someone else has the issue or knows how to resolve it.

Happy to see you’re ok! I was worried your health issues got the better of you

I’m not sure I understand what you mean with this? If you hide all mnemonics and hints that come from WK’s own database, you’re left with no helper text at all for those subjects without custom notes.

I tested the core functionality of the app, including managing the API key, on a wide range of Android versions before doing the Android 12 update, and none of the code that handles the key has changed in any way, so I’m not sure what’s happening here.

When you get to the screen asking for your key, you should be able to get into the settings menu still. If you can, can you try putting in your API key again and then (via the settings menu) uploading your debug log? That should at least show why the app isn’t progressing in your case.

Also, what device model and Android version are you using?

It’s a long story and you’re not entirely wrong. But I’m still around. It’ll be irreguar for now since I’m rather busy looking for a new job, but hopefully that will settle soon-ish.

3 Likes

Sorry, I was not clear. I do not want to hide all mnemonics, only the ones I have notes for.

I use nearly all of the WK mnemonics given, but sometimes they give us very long or hard to remember mnemonics that don’t stick well. For example, the reading mnemonic for is:

This cow is special because it belonged to Tokugawa (とく) Ieyasu, the first shōgun of the Tokugawa shogunate and uniter of Japan! He’s a super important figure in Japanese history. You should absolutely look him up and read a bit about him (when you’re caught up on these lessons, that is).

Picture a temple dedicated to a single cow. All of the people who come and worship here have a special place in their hearts for the cow.

In the app, this takes up 8 lines! For me, this is annoying to read and learn because it is too long and requires me to additionally learn who Tokugawa Ieyasu is. However, the meaning mnemonic (a special cow temple) is short and sweet, easy to remember, and creates strong imagery. So, my reading note is:

The cow temple is so special that it’s the TALK (とく) of the town

This takes up 1 line in the app, but it is overshadowed by their 8-line mnemonic, so I wish I could hide it.

Yeah i’m not sure what’s going on. I’m using an OPPO Reno5 A android version 11 (security update March 5 2022). If you give me a contact email i’ve made a screen recording of the issue.

My email address is rmc@dds.nl . Could you also double check that the key you are putting in has all of the required permissions set? (The permissions listed on that screen you’re stuck on.)

I have tested two Android 11 devices and cannot reproduce the problem on either, although I don’t have any OPPO devices (OPPO sometimes adds weird customizations to their Android builds). It probably has something to do with the fact that the API key is stored in encrypted form, although the encryption method hasn’t changed at all in the Android 12 update. I’ll dig into it to find out what’s going on.

I did already notice that it’s not possible to get into the settings from that welcome screen, I’ll also fix that so you can get to that menu as well.

Due to another issue with the phone I was forced to power cycle it and that cured the issue. Why I didn’t try that first is because I am in fact a moron.

I’ll email you the video either way so you can see the issue in case it comes up in the future.

Thanks for helping, much appreciated.

Don’t beat yourself up over it. Nobody should have to power cycle their phone just to resolve a random app issue. If you have to do that, it’s a failure of either your phone or the app, not you.

Since this was an isolated case and the code in question has been stable and untouched for a long time, I am inclined to blame the phone rather than the app, but certainly not you :slight_smile:

Either way, glad your issue has been resolved.

3 Likes

Currently it seems the amount of reviews reported for flaming durtles is lower than on wanikani. A few days ago there was an update that took the moved items you’ve unlocked already and made them reviewable even after moving. Could this be an issue?

Yep, that’ll be an issue. I hadn’t noticed this change yet, thanks for mentioning it. Because FD needs to be able to work offline, it has its own logic to determine what lessons and reviews to offer. This logic should be the same for the site and the app, but at the moment they are out of sync.

It shouldn’t break anything, but those “over-leveled” items will never be included in lessons and reviews by FD. I’ll update the logic in the app to match the site.

3 Likes

Higher Level Items in Review Queue here’s the announcement, if you’re curious

I’m glad to see you around again.
Thanks so much for this app. It’s pleasant to use and keeps me coming back to wanikani thanks to the notifications.