Android app WaniKanji

Meh, don’t worry about it. That’s what refactoring and cleaning up is for. I’ve done “the let me polish up thing before”, and I never get to the point of really being comfortable. Rewriting someone else’s logic is a great way to understand what’s going on too. lol

You wouldn’t believe some of the “pro” junk I’ve been in. You think no one would ever would write a multi-thousand line long method, and you’d be dead wrong. :cry:

You asked for it, I’ll put it up ASAP, good luck understand it though, and enjoy all the static global variables :stuck_out_tongue:

Fun story, I’ve never needed to use git before. Any tips? I could read a tutorial, but if you think that may not be necessary, I’d like to hear your thoughts on where I should begin.

Hmm, that’s a tall order. To start with I would just create a repo on Github, setup your IDE to use the repo git url and either enter your login when prompted or setup with your ssh key. Then just push to the master branch for now. You can get more complicated later.

If that’s all gibberish to you, then yeah I’d suggesting going through some basic tutorials for Github and your IDE. Maybe start here: Hello World - GitHub Docs

This may help too: git - How to add an Android Studio project to GitHub - Stack Overflow

Be careful not to push up binaries if you go that route. I’d think the source and Gradle build file would suffice. Again I’ve not messed with Android much lately, so I’m speculating. If you wanted, you could reach me on Skype, same id.

I noticed some small bugs while checking the app a bit:

• Some radicals don’t show the character in the list for me (example: corn), maybe it has something to do with the font being used?

• Clicking on an item (kanji/radical/vocab) from the list will bring you to a search page with that item. When you click the item again (from the search page), it opens the same page as many times as you click. You also have to navigate back all those pages if you press the back button. I think you can just disable the click event to fix it.

Thanks for the feedback!
As stated in my OP, the missing radicals are by design for the moment. The code does not want to pull the pictures even though I’ve told it to. The 2.0 API coming end of year should make this easier to handle. Given that it is 40 elements across over 8000, I think we can survive for now, until the next API comes out :slight_smile:.
The search functionality is also that way by design as I want people to be able to click on an element within their search results to explore further. For example if you search for 金玉, it’ll show you 金 and 玉 and words that contain those. Then you could click on 金 and find お金. This allows people to keep diving deeper into WK through unlimited search.
What I could do however is check if what is clicked on is the same as what the current search is, and if it is, do nothing. That way clicking on 玉 would do a search for everything related but clicking on it again, would do nothing, but then if you clicked on 金玉 in the results it would search as normal. Does that make sense?

Ahh sorry about that, I read the main post a few days earlier and must’ve forgotten about it by the time I wrote the feedback comment.

And yes, that does make sense and would be a good solution imo ^^

1 Like

I’m out on vacay for ten days or so. While I’ll be doing my reviews, coding is not going to be possible. Will get to this when I can once I’m back :slight_smile:.

EDIT: Screw it. I have some time before my flight. This is done.

@jprspereira, have you had a chance to look at the leeches section?

No, sorry :frowning: I will do as soon as possible!

1 Like

@VegasVed, I already have some ideas to suggest. By the way, how should one upgrade the app? Should I delete and reinstall it again? I feel like it’s only fair to check the latest version :thinking:

I believe it might be an option to put it on the play store with the beta testing programme they have nowadays (which allows installs through link only or something) ? That way we all get the newest version automatically.

2 Likes

Clicking on the link in my post should allows return the latest version of the app :slight_smile:.

Difference being that play store automatically updates the app on the testers phones, whereas here we have to manually click the link and instal it. With the play store comes the added benefit that you can track some stats/crashes through the play store dev console.

Although I don’t mind to click the link and instal manually so far :wink: It might be a nice option.

Btw, what language are you coding this app in?

1 Like

Ah, good point, well I do have a flight soon and am deliberately leaving my computer behind for my vacay, so it’ll have to wait ten days or so :D. Also, I am quite annoyed at the process for publishing on the Play Store right now, so a few days away will probably help :stuck_out_tongue:.

Good idea getting data out of the console though :thinking:.

Coding in English. Seeing coding done in other languages jars me quite a bit given that keywords are typically in English :sweat_smile:.

I am hoping for a bootload more feedback though, when possible, please :smiley:.

I meant the actual programming language (Java / C# / etc) :stuck_out_tongue: But I do get what you mean hahahh

Have a great vacation!

1 Like

Oh, my bad :sweat_smile:.
Java. I don’t know how to use JS (never needed to) and hate C++ with a passion. Not sure Android has other alternatives :thinking:.

Pardon me, but where are the saved wallpaper images located? I can’t seem to find them in any of my albums in the gallery

Root->WaniKanji. Because different android phone brands handle the gallery differently, there’s no way to guarantee all pictures will show up in a gallery when you make an app, unfortunately. So instead of trying to figure it out for each manufacturer’s gallery, I stuck with making a dedicated folder in android just for this :slight_smile:. Hope that helps.