An issue with 並行

This has been bugging me for awhile, and no one has mentioned this before. The 並行 mnemonic talks about what lines do and this word is defined as “parallel”. This, however, is not correct to my knowledge as 平行 means parallel in the mathmatical sense. 並行 is rather “in parallel”, as in when you do things in parallel. The example sentence uses it correctly, but the definition and mnemonic are misleading.

並行 does mean parallel in that abstract sense you described, like “parallel processing.” Nothing in reality is making parallel lines.

But it also means when things are moving parallel with each other in the physical world. So… in that sense, there are some real lines at work.

From weblio
二つ以上のものが並んで行くこと。 「バスと電車が-して走る」

I think it boils down to another case of, “don’t try out the vocab you learn here without researching it first.”

2 Likes

My mistake, I was not aware that it could be used like this as well. This makes me ok with the definition, but wishing that they would add another for “in parallel” as the two are really separate uses of the words.

Right, and thats fair. I just feel like using 平行線 for the mnemonic will be misleading as 並行 cant be used in that scenario. If I’m not mistaken, they are changing a bunch of mnemonics; hopefully this is one of them.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.