Am I the only one whose throat hurts when practicing?

Not like, I have a cold and my throat is sore, but like muscles under my chin are straining after practicing speaking (or singing) Japanese for a while. Does anyone else get that, or maybe have experienced it learning other languages? Or should I be worried that I’m doing something wrong? It goes away, right?

You may be doing it wrong

1 Like

Hmm… this might be similar to what happens to me when I read aloud to someone else for a while. I think it has to do with the position of your head while you’re speaking. So if you’re looking down while you practice, try moving your reading sources to eye level. Otherwise, I don’t know what to tell you! x)

Edit: I think I also tend to lower my pitch subconsciously when I read aloud, and that could cause some strain over time, too. The combination of the two may be what causes that discomfort for me.

3 Likes

I’ll try to be aware of that and see how it goes! Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not a linguist or doctor, but certain sounds in other languages may use particular muscles that aren’t used much in the pronunciation of your native language, so exercising those muscles may strain and tire them out. I could be completely wrong, as I don’t think Japanese has any particularly tough sounds (at least from a native English point of view). Still, I figured it was worth mentioning.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.