All my leeches are transitivity pairs and 人 (にん or じん)

The woman sounds like a computer voice to me sometimes, and sometimes the words are a bit cut off for her. I don’t remember which word it was, but one time her pronunciation didn’t even sound like the word at all. I definitely prefer the male voice, although I still make sure to listen to both pronuciations.

1 Like

Ahaha finally my worlds have collided. I always wondered if anyone on Wanikani was also a mbmbamino,

1 Like

edit: an answer was provided earlier so there isn’t a need to ask the question now sorry

Wow, thank you! It really pays off to read random forum titles that confuse me :sweat_smile:

Last year I used WaniKani for a couple months but then life got in the way. I did a reset and began again a little less than a month ago, kind of surprised at how much I did remember. However, even though everyone my age knows tons about computers, I honestly know very little. I began using WaniKani on my phone only (instead of my computer like last year) and I’m realizing now that was a mistake. “Scripts” are fairly foreign to me, but your instructions to install were so easy! This Self-Study Quiz is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for. No more covering up half of my phone screen to try and study! THANK YOU!

PS. I still get confused with にん and じん too, however Jin tends to be easier for me because I think of a “Djinn” as being a person, and you’ve inspired me to use Nintendo for 'Nin" because clearly my mnemonic is not working (I can’t even tell you what it is!)

Anyway thank you for this thread and the replies :slightly_smiling_face:

Question: after I installed the Item Inspector Script, I keep getting this message. I don’t know which “settings” to go to and the link doesn’t seem to help.

Screenshot 2021-12-15 9.48.45 AM

Before I potentially write a couple paragraphs on things you may already know, let me ask you this:

In regards to the transitivity pairs part of your question, do you really understand what the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs are? I’ll even admit that it took me well over a year to fully get it (not that it takes that long to learn but it wasn’t high on my priority list for a while) because I didn’t really commit to understanding it. I just kept dabbling in the concept.

1 Like

I personally would like a better explaination that what I “think” I know…

Fair enough haha.

A transitive verb (他動詞. Literally “other move part of speech”) is a verb that requires a subject (が. The “other”) to commit an action (the verb) onto an object (を).
Example:
I will open the door
私が戸を開ける

An intransitive verb (自動詞. Literally “self move part of speech”) is used when a verb requires no object because the subject (が) of the sentence is doing the action. It’s doing it on its own.
Example:
The door opens (of it’s own volition) (think like an automatic door at a grocery store)
戸が開く

Now, these verbs used above aren’t the best example for the next explanation but the root of all Transitive verbs is する (to do) and the root of all intransitive verbs is ある (to be for inanimate objects). Many verbs clearly show this root. For example:
渡す (わたす) (Transitive. See the “す” from する) / 渡る (わたる) (Intransitive. See the “ある”?)

Many verbs, you can figure out which verb is transitive/intransitive because at least one of pairs follows the rule. For example 上げる/上がる. We can see the ある in 上がる so we know thats the intransitive verb. Therefore, its safe to assume 上げる is the transitive form even though it doesn’t have す in it.

6 Likes

GREAT explanation! Thank you very much. This has helped me early on and I hope to apply it to my trudging through simple vocab and reading right away so I get more familiar with it. Again, thank you for taking the time to explain all of this. I hope it helps more people reading this thread!

2 Likes

Glad it helps. Now check out the verb pairs and you are struggling with and you will probably start to see the ある/する roots in the pairs and make progress! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

I LOVE this weak=nin and strong=jin idea!!!

I was using various Nin (nincompoop or Nintendo) and Jin= gin drinking or genie Djinn), but @MangoConChile’s is better for a visual.

@donut223, I’m with you in that I didn’t really commit to keeping transitive/intransitive verb forms straight, and now I’m in my level 20s and it’s starting to tick me off, so I’m going to have to make myself clear on transitive/intransitive… Thanks for the explanation.

I’m also adding this link (which I haven’t yet read) for future reference…

Tofugu on Transitive and Intransitive Verbs

2 Likes

@Shannon-8 @anon33985902

What helped me a lot with the transitive pairs was Cure Dolly’s video on it if you want to learn more: Lesson 15: Transitivity- the 3 facts that make it easy. Transitive/intransitive verbs unlocked - YouTube

3 Likes

I just watched the video - very helpful! I also keep reading your previous reply, and it’s sort of making sense. I just know it’s going to require a lot of experience and practice, but knowing this is definitely a great foundation!

1 Like

Have you installed the Open Framework Additional Filters? If not that’s why you have that message, the Item Inspector needs that to run. More info about the prerequisites for that script can be found under Tips in the Item Inspector post (it tells you which prereqs are absolutely necessary and how to adjust the settings in case you don’t install the ones that aren’t required)

If you do have the additional filters installed then I’m not sure why that’s showing up

Also the settings for Item Inspector (and other scripts you install) can be found here:

1 Like

Thank you! This was exactly what I needed to do. The only problem now is I get a pop-up message telling me I need the stroke order font, and I don’t think I can install it on this Chromebook…

I had problems with the stroke order font too so I just turned that setting off. Go to the Item Inspector Settings, then the Tables tab, scroll down to Graphical Information and uncheck Show Stroke Order Popups. It won’t show stroke orders but the rest of the script will work :slight_smile: If you want to get the stroke order to work I’m not sure how to do that since it doesn’t work for me either

2 Likes

It’s cool that there an answer to the errors. Because I am a Luddite (ie. Not “tech-savvy”), my stroke order work-around has been to jump in Discord, use the kotoba bot (all the Japanese-language channels subscribe) and query k!j Kanji. That way, it pulls up the Jisho on it, as well as the Stroke Order page, which I started at until hypnotized as it cycles though writing the kanji over and over.
I will also say (not fully related) that banging through the kanji recognition Anki decks over on discord has increased my response time in more immediately popping a reading/meaning into my head (important to try to guess the meaning then check when you quickly read the answer before the next query). Joys of “flash cards”.

Don’t worry about it. Just level up more and you’ll be introduced to tons of other leeches :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Hmmmm I thought this would solve it! However I still get the annoying popup box every time I refresh the WaniKani page…