All 9226 turtles burned! “If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together”

Finally all 9,226 Wanikani turtles have been burned. I am glad to have a sense of completion. As the quote in the title of this post says, rapid language study can be effective but this is a website for those interested in a slow but steady process. This website is good though and it serves as a good reminder to always take your learning one step at a time. Taking your Japanese language studies gradually helps reduce feelings of burn out and resignation, encourages a sense of focus, and increases the likelihood of success in one’s Japanese Studies. When I started taking on Japanese as an interest around 2015 and now that it is 2024 I realize I had no idea about so many things. I did not know how challenging and time-consuming language study is. The intricacies of kanji characters, the nuances of keigo (polite speech), and the cultural context embedded in the language required a level of dedication and immersion I hadn’t anticipated. Over the years, I’ve come to appreciate the beauty of the language and the depth of Japanese culture, but I’ve also learned the importance of patience and persistence. Despite the struggles, every small victory, from understanding a complex sentence to holding a conversation, has made the journey rewarding. Looking back, I see how much I’ve grown, not just in my language skills, but in my appreciation for the effort and dedication it takes to learn something new. So, if you’re passionate about something like learning Japanese on Wanikani, stick with it – the journey may be long, but the rewards are worth it.

39 Likes

Congratulations!!

4 Likes

Congrats - very impressive accomplishment

4 Likes

Words of wisdom, truly. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if I can properly articulate this, but…every step in learning Japanese has revealed even more that I don’t know. Certainly I didn’t think it would be quick or easy, but I still continue to figuratively reach new peaks only to be able to see the even more that had been hidden behind those I’d previously climbed.

I had sort of assumed that eventually I’d reach a point where I’m not being surprised again by more to add to my study backlog, so then I’d just be working through that until the end. But gradually I am beginning to suspect that there is no end – that there will always be something new that I didn’t even know I didn’t know. Like, when I learn some new grammar or something, it just leads me down this rabbit hole of something deeper that I had no idea existed, and so on. Daunting, but also exciting. Cheers! :laughing:

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like