Advice for us low-levels?

Yeah I kind of eye twitch when I just did vocabulary lessons and then go on KW and see their English equivalents already being tested. I wonder if they could at least have it wait 4 hours so we can at least get one review in…

For Wanikani: Do it multiple times a day, around the same time each day. Try to do some early in the morning, at lunch, and at night. You can base it around your meals. Doing it once a day will be bad for retention and levels will take forever. You need to be consistent and steady.

Also, don’t be afraid of “messing up” the SRS by reading Japanese. You learn kanji by seeing it and using it, not just answering quiz questions. You may know the kanji, but there are many words that Wanikani doesn’t cover, so always be absorbing Japanese in some way.

3 Likes

+1 for KaniWani - that was something I felt the need for back when I first started, now that I have restarted, I am using it side-by-side with WK, for reinforcement.

1 Like

I’m not high level, but here´s one that´s really simple: add synonyms for radicals that are actually Kanji, such as “Cross > Ten”, “Duck > Family Name”, “Grave > Soil” etc. Because Cross will come up two months later and you will write Ten.

Especially useful if you don’t like the ignore script.

4 Likes

The only way out is forward :wink:

I like that idea!

Find a goal related to Japanese, remind yourself about it every now and then. I need to do that myself now as I am falling into the DIP again.

Hello Timelinker! Thank you for introducing me to caps lock, however i already know who it is! For future references, i will disable caps lock when writing a post.
I wanted to put emphasis on things hence why i capitalised my entire post and would like to apologise that you felt i was being a bit aggressive. Rest assured, that this will not happen again!
Make sure you have a good day and I hope to hear you again!
Arigatou gozaimasu
Zack

More importantly, THINGS IN CAPS ARE ACTUALLY HARDER to read, not easier.

Making it much more likely that people simply skip over what you said, rather than take the time to decode it. Easier to see? Yes. Easier to read? No. (For the curious who don’t already know, that’s because we read words by shape)

2 Likes

Yes, I tend to not read all-caps posts if they’re more than a sentence because I assume it’s just a rant that I don’t need to waste my time on.

Hi Gaidheal!
I hope you are doing well! thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and I would like to apologise that my post was harder to read. In future posts, I shall not be using caps lock excessively, as I forgot we are all different.
I’d like to ask you would it be better if i made something bolder or italicised to emphasised my point?
I’d appreciate your recommendations and hope that you reply.

Many thanks for your help!
zack

Hi Ss1100l!
I hope you are doing well! thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and I would like to apologise that my post was harder to read. In future posts, I shall not be using caps lock excessively, as I forgot we are all different.
I’d like to ask you would it be better if i made something bolder or italicised to emphasised my point?
I’d appreciate your recommendations and hope that you reply.

Many thanks for your help!
zack

No worry, it’s all good, I was just giving a tip.

Bold, italic or capital letters are all good ways to emphasize/highlight. But emphasizing works best when it is only on a small portion of a text.
Less is more :wink:

You’ll know when you try and able to keep a habit

My brain is not parsing this correctly for some reason, even after some pondering. Could you explain/reword? It’s likely the comment could be helpful for me.

I thin what they’re saying is, when you actually sit down and try to study the grammar, if you don’t get interrupted, sidetracked, or distracted, it’s probably a good place for you.

It could be at the library, or at home at your desk. It could even be at the office when you should really be working. You won’t know for sure until you actually experiment with different places.

2 Likes

In small quantities, bold, italicized, or capital letters can emphasize your point. But again, in small quantities. Bolding your whole post has the same effect as capitalizing the whole one.

So confused…

2 Likes

This, but bold is preferred for emphasizing a sentence or two, a single word can be bold or italic, or even ALLCAPS, but more than a word or two in capitals is not a good way to do it.

So, quick question - I’ve only hit level 2 but I have about 86 apprentice things, 43 of which are vocab. Should I focus on trimming that down before doing any more lessons?