Advanced Japanese Book Club // Reading 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ

Sure! Done :sparkles:

8 Likes

Thank you @JenK :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I figured it out :smiley:

If you copy the full template, it somehow adds the indentation when pasting. But if you only copy a part of the template, then it pastes the copied stuff as-is, i.e. without the indentation. Therefore I “enhanced” the template like this:

and when you only copy the text below the first line, you will get good results.

7 Likes

I don’t get weird indentation when I copy the whole thing. :thinking:

1 Like

Should the template for this club be tweaked to include whether the book would follow the faster or slower pace? Or should that be decided by the group after a book’s been nominated?

2 Likes

The link to discord in the intermediate home thread is the permanent one, right?

Just checking since I can’t edit right now anyway.

I think it’d make sense to have the nominator include which one they think a book fits into, yes.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I updated the intermediate club’s Discord link to be the right one, but I’ll double check and add the right link here later today.

3 Likes

Hmmm… if I copy the whole thing it gives me this:

I added some text tefore the pasted stuff so that you can see it’s indented by 4 characters. Maybe Firefox has some fancy quirk which makes it end up like this?!
Anyway, I think the extra line does not do any harm to those where it works anyways but helps those where it doesn’t work…

I think it can’t hurt to suggest a category in the proposal (or leave it blank if unsure).

For my most recent nomination I also added “Author” and “Pages” because I think that’s relevant information as well, and I was also wondering whether we should add this to the template in general.
(But I did not yet get further than the wondering stage :laughing:)

5 Likes

This was the book that got me interested in learning Japanese in the first place. A personal favorite. Two by Murakami nominated already!

Both good ideas.

Also, it seems we have 5 nominations. That happened faster than I expected. Should we set a deadline for proposals and votes to come in? 7 days? 10?

3 Likes

Maybe you don’t know this because you were not active in bookclubs until now, but the forum polls only allow for 20 entries. Therefore we limit the Intermediate club nominations to 20. Of course we could use 2 polls and then have an endgame poll, but it’s more hassle, and I think 20 books are already a good number. So we should make sure the proposals don’t exceed this. (And if they keep coming at that pace, I’m sure we will hit that mark in less than 7 or 10 days :joy_cat:)

3 Likes

I’ll try to make some proposals tomorrow, but I agree we can probably start polling some time next week. Or if we get to 20 before then I guess. :joy:

I suppose the frequency might go down when everyone’s nominated the books they’ve been wanting to read but that were too long.

3 Likes

I’m just gonna vote for 本好きの下剋上 anyway. :man_shrugging:

By the way @Azmo, just a tip for links in posts to other posts: To keep the OP easier to edit, we replace the topic title in the URL with an x, since that section just needs something for the URL to be valid. So instead of https://community.wanikani.com/t/master-list-of-book-clubs/35283, we use https://community.wanikani.com/t/x/35283. This is particularly helpful when there are long topic titles that have Japanese characters in them (since they get encoded and become even longer).

I also updated the OP to use markdown instead of HTML where possible, and added the link to the discord server.

3 Likes

You could actually skip the x entirely and just write the topic id
https://community.wanikani.com/t/35283

1 Like

That is not officially supported by Discourse and has broken a few times, which is why we recommend including the /x.

5 Likes

About to re-do the pictures :). Uploaded the whole prologue.

3 Likes

Yikes, I’m afraid that we are going to gut the nominations in the Intermediate book club though.

2 Likes

So far I think all of the books have either been over the page limit for the intermediate book club or have been decreed too difficult, so it’s not like they could have gone there anyway. The ones I’m thinking of are also over 350 pages. :slight_smile:
If that’s what you meant…?

7 Likes

I was thinking more about time investment. If everyone just focuses on finding recommendations for this club, they won’t look for things to recommend in the other club. We do have enough-ish recommendations though so it’s not as much as an issue as I thought, it seems.

6 Likes

If you are really worried about the nominations in Intermediate club, I could easily recommend two or five more there… So far I just didn’t because I thought it does not make sense to nominate more than I can vote for. But if you think it’s fine, I can go ahead.

4 Likes

Nah, you have contributed a lot already, don’t worry!

3 Likes