Advanced Japanese Book Club // Reading 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ

Just order them all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(And some are on Aozora so you can even read them for free)

But seriously, can you hold back on ordering for another week or so? Then we should know better.

2 Likes

I guess. I’ve just been meaning to order for forever, and still don’t have my copy of 容疑者Xの献身. I’ve read the first two weeks parts through a sample and need to know what happens next :rofl:.

Do we have an author limit in the nominations?I kinda liked the idea of reading Norwegian Wood, since it’s a standalone unlike the current ones. I can’t leave it just one part read, but not sure if I have the mental energy for a thousand page series atm :smile:. But it’s a bit boring if half the list is Murakami…

Incidentally, my Japanese friend recommended Masquerade Hotel as her favorite Keigo book, when I told her I’m reading him atm. I also found out there’s Masquerade Night and Masquerade Eve…

3 Likes

Shoot, I totally forgot to get back to you!

I wondered about that as well… Like you said, it might get a bit boring, but on the other hand it might also be worthwhile to include a standalone book, like you said. As we don’t seem to be flooded with proposals, I totally would not mind if you nominated it.

I didn’t even realize it was also written by him :woman_facepalming:
(I got it from my Japanese host father, who had read it and thought it was good, and then I lent it to Belerith who nominated it here :upside_down_face:)
It is a bit on the brink of getting kicked out in the next poll, so hopefully some people are interested in the author by now and will vote for it…

2 Likes

Is that a book written by Keigo, or in Keigo? :stuck_out_tongue:

The movie based on that book was screened in the Japanese Film Festival here back in 2019. I wanted to see it, but sadly I couldn’t fit it in. Can’t remember if I was seeing something else at the same time, or if it was just on at an inconvenient hour.

4 Likes

虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ

Author: 伊藤 計劃 (いと けいかく)
Alias: Project Itoh

t_700x780

Summary

Japanese

9・11を経て、“テロとの戦い”は転機を迎えていた。先進諸国は徹底的な管理体制に移行してテロを一掃したが、後進諸国では内戦や大規模虐殺が急激に増加していた。米軍大尉クラヴィス・シェパードは、その混乱の陰に常に存在が囁かれる謎の男、ジョン・ポールを追ってチェコへと向かう……彼の目的とはいったいなにか? 大量殺戮を引き起こす“虐殺の器官”とは? ゼロ年代最高のフィクションが電子書籍版で登場。

English

Genocidal Organ takes an introspective look at a post-9/11 future, exploring freedom, security, and a bizarre shift in terrorism throughout the world. After a homemade bomb decimates Sarajevo, developed countries rely on advanced surveillance to free them from the threat of terrorism. But while the United States enjoys heightened security, the nations it once considered threatening are mysteriously plagued by genocide within their own borders. Strangely, these massacres all link back to one American by the name of John Paul. Special agent Clavis Shepherd is sent to capture the elusive target, but even with combat meds to numb the pain and a life rooted in the bliss of ignorance, nothing can prepare this soldier—or the world—for the truth behind humanity’s darkness. [/details]

Length: 391 pages
Category: Fast?

Availability

Amazon??
Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

According to Wikipedia “A poll by the yearly SF magazine SF ga yomitai ranked Genocidal Organ as the number one domestic SF novel of the decade.”, so it seems to be a staple of the SF genre. There’s also a movie and manga adaptation. He was also a friend of Hideo Kojima. “Kojima noted Itō as being one of the only people who understood the themes and morals in his video games.” “He[Ito] died at age 34 on March 20, 2009[Due to cancer]” :/. He also has a another SF ga yomitai winner Harmony.

Sample Pages

Sample pages available above at Bookwalker.

(Poll in next post so this can be edited. Is that a discord bug? Not being able to edit posts with a poll :thinking: )

5 Likes

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

That was a bug related to putting emojis in your poll options and a one time upgrade on their side. So if you don’t use emojis you’re probably safe.

4 Likes

is this as edgy as harmony?

from a review on amazon

調べもせず買った自分が悪いのですが、大人が読む小説では無いと思わなかったです。
中学生~こじらせた高校生までが限界でしょうか?

My difficulty vote is more related to the graphic violence present from the first page. Based on the description, I do not expect it to get better :confused:

1 Like

薬屋のひとりごと

Author : 日向夏

Summary

Japanese

大陸の中央に位置する、とある大国。その皇帝のおひざ元に一人の娘がいた。
名前は、猫猫まおまお
花街で薬師をやっていたが現在とある事情にて後宮で下働き中である。
そばかすだらけで、けして美人とはいえぬその娘は、分相応に何事もなく年季があけるのを待っていた。
まかり間違っても帝が自分を“御手付き”にしない自信があったからだ。

English

(Taken from the English release)
In the East is a land ruled by an emperor, whose consorts and serving women live in a sprawling complex known as the rear palace. Maomao, an unassuming girl raised in an unassuming town by her apothecary father, never imagined the rear palace would have anything to do with her—until she was kidnapped and sold into service there.

Length : 344
Category : easy-ish

Availability

Amazon
BookLive, BookWalker

Personal Opinion

This is both a mystery novel and a romance novel, in a setting inspired by Medieval China. The main character has insane medical skills, which allows her to solve various cases (I’d love to say more, but that would be spoiler). Despite wanting nothing more than being left alone, her skills do not go unnoticed…
I haven’t seen a book club in that setting yet and I thought it would be a good match for this club.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• The main character is great.
  • Medieval China-like setting. Expect a lot of crazy kanji (especially in names) and words with dated reading.

Cons

• A tad difficult for the easy category for those unfamiliar with the setting.
  • It’s an ongoing series
  • If you go past volume 3, and especially up to volume 5, assault trigger warning

Pictures

Cf. the preview of either BookLive or BookWalker.

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

2 Likes

Sorry about that, I should’ve proofread it first. I was too eager to post it…

I learnt about Harmony at the same time, so I wouldn’t really know. Killing with words called as “genocidal grammar” sounds quite edgy, though :rofl:. Seems like he likes to write post-apocalyptics stuff. Harmony sounds a lot like the movie “Equilibrium”. Now I’m wondering about that review about middle schoolers given the graphic violence…

Hmm, I wasn’t able to edit my 86 nomination post, and it didn’t have emojis in the poll, I think :thinking:.

3 Likes

Ah don’t worry about it. I guess “graphic” is not the word I was looking for either. I meant that it felt realistic, I guess? On top of that, it’s about kids, with a cute Alice in Wonderland reference for extra impact. That’s much harder for me than actual graphic but unrealistic violence, like you would get in Re:Zero.

That kinda reminds me Monster, inc, when we see a kid falling asleep while watching a horror movie.

I guess I am just weak.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the new submissions! We now have 17 proposals which is a great number for our nice little club. Please check out all of them (old and new) and rate on their difficulty if you haven’t yet done so. We will set up the next poll next week (I’m thinking around Thursday or so) so you have enough time to look at all entries. Stay tuned!

5 Likes

Next week as in today/ tomorrow or in 7 days from now?

I was thinking today actually :sweat_smile: Thanks for reminding me!

Here is the poll list:

Fast: 86―エイティシックス― [2.67]
Fast: アウト (OUT) 上 [2.33]
Fast: クォンタムデビルサーガ アバタールチューナーⅠ [3]
Fast: 狼と香辛料 [2.67]
Fast: マスカレード・ホテル [1.89]
Fast: 風の谷のナウシカ [3.13]
Fast: 海辺のカフカ (上) [2.33]
Fast: 騎士団長殺し 第1部 [2.33]
Fast: すべてがFになる [2.25]
Fast: 化物語(上) [2.8]
Fast: 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ [3]
Fast/Hard: 薬屋のひとりごと [3.5]
Hard: 薮の中・将軍 [3.6]
Hard: 檸檬 [3.6]
Hard: 風立ちぬ [3]
Hard: 午後の曳航 [3]
Hard: 人間失格 [3.14]

4 Likes

Thank you! Will poll tonight then.

2 Likes

AND IT’S A POLL! Everyone’s favorite part of the book club*.
As usual, you may choose up to five books .

See the original post for book descriptions.

• Fast: 86―エイティシックス― [2.67]
  • Fast: アウト (OUT) 上 [2.33]
  • Fast: クォンタムデビルサーガ アバタールチューナーⅠ [3]
  • Fast: 狼と香辛料 [2.67]
  • Fast: マスカレード・ホテル [1.89]
  • Fast: 風の谷のナウシカ [3.13]
  • Fast: 海辺のカフカ (上) [2.33]
  • Fast: 騎士団長殺し 第1部 [2.33]
  • Fast: すべてがFになる [2.25]
  • Fast: 化物語(上) [2.8]
  • Fast: 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ [3]
  • Fast/Hard: 薬屋のひとりごと [3.5]
  • Hard: 薮の中・将軍 [3.6]
  • Hard: 檸檬 [3.6]
  • Hard: 風立ちぬ [3]
  • Hard: 午後の曳航 [3]
  • Hard: 人間失格 [3.14]

0 voters

• No actual guarantee on the favorite part of the club for the average member.
12 Likes

I just voted for 化物語 since I am reading it already and I wasn’t able to keep up with book clubs before…

3 Likes

Well, things seem to have died down already. I’m just going to keep this open until Monday then.

2 Likes

I’ve still only participated in one book in this club, and I’m not sure I’m up for a 500 page mystery novel either…

1 Like