Advanced Japanese Book Club // Now reading: 狼と香辛料 - Next: ユージニア

Thank you, YOU ARE THE BEST!!
I searched ankiweb and came up with empty hands

1 Like

Just a quick note to let you know that we are looking for nominations!

The next poll will start on Sept 20th (or so), so please propose your books before that date :blush:

2 Likes

砂漠 (さばく a campus life) // moved from intermediate

Author: 伊坂 幸太郎 | Kōtarō Isaka
Page count: 512
Natively: His other books are L30-L37

Summary

Japanese

この一冊で世界が変わる、かもしれない。仙台市の大学に進学した春、なにごとにもさめた青年の北村は四人の学生と知り合った。少し軽薄な鳥井、不思議な力が使える南、とびきり美人の東堂、極端に熱くまっすぐな西嶋。麻雀に勤(いそ)しみ合コンに励み、犯罪者だって追いかける。一瞬で過ぎる日常は、光と痛みと、小さな奇跡で出来ていた――。明日の自分が愛おしくなる、一生モノの物語。限定の書き下ろしあとがき収録。 (Source: BookWalker)

English

Google Translate:
This book might change the world. In the spring when he entered a university in Sendai City, Kitamura, a young man who had calmed down, met four students. Torii who is a little frivolous, Minami who can use mysterious powers, Toudou who is extremely beautiful, and Nishijima who is extremely hot and straightforward. He devotes himself to mahjong, works hard at joint parties, and chases even criminals. Everyday life that passed by in an instant was made up of light, pain, and small miracles. A lifelong story that will make you love yourself tomorrow. Includes a limited edition postscript.

Availability

Amazon including Kindle and Audible versions | Audiobooks | BookWalker

Personal Opinion

Looks interesting! I am not a very opinionated person (:

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Audiobooks available
  • Relatively easy to read among this author’s work

Cons

• Probably a bit long
  • Not as much a social commentary as his other work?

Pictures

Pages 1-49 on BookWalker 試し読み

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

3 Likes

You know I looked at this book ages ago and the summary didn’t really draw me in so I passed on it. Looking at the other books the author has written though, several are on my wish list. :thinking: That’s promising!

3 Likes

The POLL is upon us!

Have a look at the List of Proposed Books section in the first post for details on each book. Every book has a difficulty associated with it (based on the book club members’ votes, thus subjective) out of 5, where 1 means “no effort at all” and 5 means “so much effort my head might explode”. The difficulty is annotated in the poll in square brackets after the book’s name.

Do not rely solely on difficulty when making a choice. Please have a look at the nomination posts and text samples if you haven’t already.

Expected reading pace: The proposals fall into two categories, Fast and Hard. We aim to read fast books at 30-50 pages per week and hard books at ~15 pages per week (that number might vary a bit throughout, depending on the book’s breaks and chapters). For manga, depending on difficulty and chapter length, we will probably read one to several chapters per week. The pick’s exact reading schedule will be negotiated before the book club kicks off.

Start of Book Club: We will start the next book on Nov 5th (after a one-week break).

Poll duration: The poll will be closed within a week (and most likely before that), whenever it looks like voting has dried up. You can choose up to 5 options.

• Fast: 86―エイティシックス― [2.7]
  • Fast: クォンタムデビルサーガ アバタールチューナーⅠ [3.13]
  • Fast: マスカレード・ホテル [1.89]
  • Fast: 風の谷のナウシカ [3.13]
  • Fast: 化物語(上) [2.67]
  • Fast: 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ [3]
  • Fast: ユージニア [2.2]
  • Fast: 蛇にピアス [2.29]
  • Fast: 感応グラン=ギニョル [3]
  • Fast: 村上海賊の娘 [2.75]
  • Fast: 砂漠 (さばく a campus life) [2.33]
  • Hard: 檸檬 [3.64]
  • Hard: 風立ちぬ [3]
  • Hard: 午後の曳航 [3]
  • Hard: 文字渦 [3.88]

0 voters

3 Likes

I’ll likely be without internet for the next several months, but I’ll read with the club in spirit!

5 Likes

:exploding_head: Going to outer space or something? :thinking:

8 Likes

Living on a boat actually. There’s talk of satellite internet but I don’t have high hopes. With no particular schedule I’ll probably read Eugenia, 1Q84 and the next S+M among others while I’m away.

10 Likes

Where on a boat. And why?

If you don’t mind me asking.

3 Likes

Voting has dried up, and we have a new winner:

ユージニア

:tada:

9 Likes

Here is the home thread for our newest pick:

Please have a look at my schedule proposal and add your feedback!

4 Likes