Advanced Japanese Book Club // Reading 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ

I get the same thing when I’m logged in. If I’m logged out I can see the kindle version though. So I tried clicking on the “submit order” button from a logged out window, then logging in, and it gave me this:

<MY NAME>, this title is not available for you.
Due to copyright restrictions, the Kindle title you’re trying to purchase is not available in your country: France.

But there’s actually a guide here on wanikani on how to bypass that.

2 Likes

Sure, that was the plan! :tada:

2 Likes

Okay I bought the book. Anybody here knows if there is a way to extract the text from a book on bookwalker? I want to use a tool my teacher recommended to make reading a little bit easier so I can keep up with all of you.

1 Like

Do you have a link for the specific book? I searched with that but only got suggested some manga series. Maybe I’m just daft.

I think I linked it earlier:

(the novel when you search for it shows up under the 金田一耕助ファイル series, so it only shows when you click on the series, is probably what tripped you up)

(sorry about the double post - unintentional side effect of trying to switch the post I was replying to)

3 Likes

It’s this one:

(also linked in the OP now)

2 Likes

To continue the spin-off book club that started with すべてがFになる in this book club, we will probably read the next book in the series soon! For those who don’t know it: it’s about two amateur detectives who solve cases that involve maths, tech and engineering so there is some talking about these topics in the stories. It’s the third book in the series but I expect it to be readable without prior exposure to the series. We set up a poll for the start date so if you are interested, just raise your voice in there. :blush:

2 Likes

What is the reading pace for 薬屋のひとりごと going to be? The poll says “fast/hard”, which seems like a contradiction to me. I thought the options were fast/easy and slow/hard, so I’m not really sure how to interpret that.

1 Like

True :joy: It tries to express that it’s a middle ground - while the book is neither old nor literary, people indicated that it might be on the harder side anyways due to many obscure words, I guess. So I’m expecting the pace to be maybe 25-30 or so pages? We still need to fix a schedule so that’s my wild guess though.

1 Like

Okay, I figured it would be something like that. I’ll have to decide later if I want to read it. I’m honestly not sure if it’s my kind of book, but when better to read a harder book than with a book club.

Definitely seems on the harder side from the first couple pages. I’m just glad I recognized その壱、その弐、その参. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If you go a few pages back to the table of contents (kinda spoiler-y, but anyway), you even have 其の壱, 其の弐, and 其の参. :stuck_out_tongue:

As @NicoleIsEnough mentioned, the rating of fast/hard comes from the inhabitual (?) vocabulary used in this book, due to its setting. But once you know your way around 宦官, 女官, and other 妃, you’re pretty much all set.
The plot itself is pretty fun, and the first volume can be read on its own without going on with the rest of the series.

2 Likes

I’ve set up a home thread for 本陣殺人事件 (sorry for the delay, I had to defer a bit and then promptly forgot :woman_facepalming:)

If you’re interested in reading the book, please have a look at the proposed schedules and (if you like) see if you have another alternative in mind that you’d prefer. If not, I will shortly set up a poll to decide the schedule.

6 Likes

I have set up the home thread for 薬屋のひとりごと.
I haven’t made the schedule yet, but I’ll get to it soon :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Go easy on us. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

BRING IT ON :grimacing: :muscle: I am ready senpai!

1 Like

Hello everybody, if you are looking for a bit of an easier read as a side project, I’m here to let you know that the Intermediate Book Club is currently voting for their next pick:

6 Likes

I was scrolling down memory lane and I noticed that I wrote, about 本好き:

… past Naphthalene, you know nothing.

10 Likes

Woah, in that difficulty poll from July 2020, I voted “moderate effort” 0: Past Redglare has grown :eyes: :sparkles:

I checked on bookmeter - turns out Honzuki 1 was my sixth book.

4 Likes

Muh I dropped of the japanese learning train at chapter 2 of reading honzuki and haven’t done anything until the beginning of this year again.
So happy that you didn’t follow in my steps and made good progress.
I’m basically below where I was then (actually feel like i’ve slowly surpassed that point again)

3 Likes

We are right in the middle of a book, about a month away from the next poll, it’s the perfect time for a nomination!
*checks current nominations*
*wants to read more than 5 already*

Uh, never mind then.

8 Likes