Advanced Japanese Book Club // Reading 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ

Glad you said something. Didn’t realize voting is live for intermediate.

1 Like

I was surprised to see you did not vote for it. How much are you reading per week, though? I was thinking we might be able to catch up to you, and then you could join us?

4 Likes

I just did it too. Really want 本好き to win.

4 Likes

Assuming the book club doesn’t start until August I’d probably be finished or nearly finished by then. If it wins I’ll take part in discussions and read aloud if there is one and the time works, but I wanted to vote for something new.

2 Likes

Same. Since I also watched some anime about Japanese author I am now fired up to read some Osamu Dazai too.

I wasn’t expecting to participate in this book club but depending on what is winning it will be hard to not. When one of the boo kI am planning to read is chosen I can hardly no read with the book club.

1 Like

Hehe I researched him today as well :laughing:

1 Like

I watch two anime having him and I watch a podcast today that at some point recommended what is probably his most famous book “No longer human”. Anime making me interesting in Japanese litterature. Normally I never care about author especially old one. Anime has such a power to change mentality. I almost wanted to train when I watched “dumbell nan kilo motemasuka”. I don’t how anime can change people like that. 15 something years in school no change. 1 anime, become super invested in something.

Are you sure you are not speaking about Murakami Haruki. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

He may write weird stuff, but I have not experienced a cryptic style so far…

2 Likes

Well, I think it’s fine to close the poll. We only had 2 extra voters in the past 24h and the top pick is four votes ahead…

The question then is when do we start? I already have the book, so whenever is okay, but I guess it might not be the case for everyone. Just to get a rough idea:

• I have the book/ can start anytime
  • Give me 1-3 weeks
  • Give me 4-6 weeks
  • Give me 7-10 weeks
  • More??
  • I do not plan to read this book

0 voters

NB: if you have the book but wish to specify when you’d like to start, that’s of course perfectly fine! (You do not have to pick the “I have the book” option)

1 Like

本好き won right? In that case what will be the pace? Will we only read the first volume of 本好き? Who would be in charge of this book?

2 Likes

Looks like it. Not going to jinx it now.

That’s still to be decided, but it would be between 30 and 45 pages a week (between ~11 weeks and ~8 weeks). My suggestion would be to go for 30 for the first 2 weeks and see how we feel about it. That wouldn’t change much how long we read anyway, and people would have a much better idea of what they can handle.

That’s the default for book clubs. Sometimes, people create an offshoot club to keep reading a series, but that has always been for manga, novels never got their offshoot club so far.

The person who nominated it @Kumirei, obviously :eyes:
More seriously, I can take care of it.

Edit: as I have the ebook version, I will need help from someone with the physical version to decide where the cuts are.

6 Likes

I was sure it was already decided. The way you spoke made me think you had closed the poll.

That is a good idea.

お願いします @Kumirei-先輩

I feel sad when we only read the first volume of a book. I was hoping someone will create a 本好き book club ha ha. I would have done if I had not already the Re Zero one.

3 Likes

I’m not in charge :stuck_out_tongue: Closing the poll is beyond my control. I just mentioned to @Azmo that it’s a good time to close it, though.

That might still happen, if enough people are interested by the time we finish reading it :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Anyone know if there is an E-book/kindle version of the book that won? (Sadly, trying to buy less physical books)

2 Likes

You can find the links to the digital versions in the nomination post:

3 Likes

oh! Since you made the last poll I just assumed you were. I’m not used to these book club anymore. thx for the correction.

:eyes:

1 Like

Less-physical books?

Metaphysical books?

11 Likes

~~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliophilia~~

This seems more accurate from what I’ve read. Honestly, it’s a bit off-putting.

5 Likes

Yes :wink: (I need 10 characters)

I have the physical book(which is true for both of the leading options, actually) in case nobody else does and wants to do it after stuff has been decided

3 Likes