Advanced Japanese Book Club // Now reading: 海辺のカフカ・Next: 狼と香辛料

Did you believe you could take a day off when starting a book club that was highly demanded? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9 Likes

I’d probably prefer the medium reading speed as I have recently started another book!

@icefang97 probably knows about coming back to 99+ notifications screaming about the lack of thread upload.

5 Likes

:cold_sweat:
Actually, since the planning is in the home thread sometime I forgot and people only realize it 2-3 days later. The funny part is a remember to post the thread today because I read the Azmo talking about beng behind. I was like “Oh! I’m also behind too.”

6 Likes

I prefer the slow speed because it’s only 1-2 weeks slower and has a lot less variation in the speed week to week than the medium speed. If I remember from the schedule details, medium went from 14 pages to 44 pages in the second week. I suppose I can take another look and see if that can be shifted and still be 10 weeks total.

5 Likes

Yep, missed everything. :+1:
Oh well.

7 Likes

Okay, I did not remember correctly. It would actually be a more gradual ramp up (31 pages in week 2), with two particularly long weeks (weeks 3 and 6). I also came up with an alternate version where the long weeks would be weeks 6 and 9 if that’s preferable, but that version has slightly higher variance. I don’t think there’s a significant difference between the two options, but I can post them both in detail if “medium speed” wins.

4 Likes

Considering the number of votes, I think it’s fair to say that we have reached a decision, which happens to be medium speed. I feel like lower variance is better, but if it’s not too much trouble, why not have a look at both versions.

4 Likes

I have the book ready now :slight_smile: . Is there an idea of when things will kick off?

I’m still voting for 3-4 weeks from now. I have the book and can start immediately if needed, but that seems unfair to people that might need some time to get the book. Normally we’d poll well ahead of reading the book while reading the previous book. I don’t think that should change just because this is the first book for the club.

@Naphthalene I’ll post both the schedules later today.

4 Likes

The OP agrees with you:

(It’s not very specific, though, but I guess this will be settled closer to the date?)

4 Likes
Option 1
  • Much slower start
  • Higher page counts in weeks 3 and 6.
  • Standard deviation of 8.03 (4.55 if ignoring first week).
Week # Page Count Chapters
1 14 Prologue/Ch1
2 31 Ch2-4
3 43 Ch5-8
4 35 Ch9-11
5 39 Ch12-14
6 44 Ch15-17
7 37 Ch18-20
8 36 Ch21-23
9 34 Ch24-25
10 30 Ch26/Epilogue

Option 2
  • Much slower start
  • Higher page counts in weeks 6 and 9.
  • Standard deviation of 8.31 (5.08 if ignoring first week).
1 14 Prologue/Ch1
2 31 Ch2-4
3 32 Ch5-7
4 34 Ch8-10
5 38 Ch11-13
6 45 Ch14-16
7 38 Ch17-19
8 37 Ch20-22
9 44 Ch23-25
10 30 Ch26/Epilogue

Option 3
  • Slightly slower start
  • Higher page count in week 6 only.
  • Standard deviation of 4.78 (4.33 if ignoring first week).
1 27 Prologue/Ch1-2
2 30 Ch3-5
3 31 Ch6-8
4 35 Ch9-11
5 39 Ch12-14
6 44 Ch15-17
7 37 Ch18-20
8 36 Ch21-23
9 34 Ch24-25
10 30 Ch26/Epilogue
12 Likes

They all look good to me.
I feel option 1 is the safest bet? Gradual increase in difficulty to maximum load (14-31-43), then remaining stable (ish) then progressive unloading at the end. Feels like a session at the gym.
Option 3 has an even nicer shape, but starts at a higher intensity, which might be a problem for people who are just on the fence.

9 Likes

Thx for the detail explanation. I don’t sense such a huge difference or just don’t want to go too much into these details. I will leave the choice to you guys since I have no preference

2 Likes

I like option 3 best, but really any of these would be just fine by me. Thanks for making these. ^^

7 Likes

For people interested in すべてがFになる
It is 50% off on BookWalker until July 30th.

11 Likes

Reposting here since it’s too long for Intermediate club, sorry for the confusion.

Reminder: the book is on sale until July 30th on BookWalker and Amazon (digital version)

魔女の旅々

Summary

Japanese

あるところに旅の魔女がいました。彼女の名はイレイナ。

旅人として、色々な国や人と出逢いながら、長い長い旅を続けています。

魔法使いしか受け入れない国、筋肉が大好きな巨漢、死の淵で恋人の帰りを待つ青年、滅んでしまった国に独り取り残された王女、そして魔女自身のこれまでとこれからのこと。

わけのわからない可笑しな人や、誰かの美しい日常に触れながら、今日も今日とて魔女は出逢いと別れの物語を紡いでいきます。

「構わないでください。私、旅人なものですから。先を急がなければならないのです」

魔女。――そう、私です。

English

It’s not about the destination…

What’s your favorite story? Does it have a hero who slays a dragon and saves a princess? Or a child of prophecy destined for greatness? Well, my favorite story is a little different. It’s the tale of a witch who travels the world, seeking nothing in particular. With no quest of her own, she’s free to wander wherever the wind takes her, adding a few pages to the story of whomever she meets before setting off on her next adventure. At the end of her travels, the witch takes on an apprentice who will one day begin her own journey. And so the cycle continues, or so the story goes. Now, the witch who starts the story anew…who could she be?

Length: 344 (単行本), 373 (digital)
Category: faster pace

Availability

Amazon
BookWalker

Personal Opinion

I don’t expect anything mindblowing in terms of plot from this book. Just a witch wandering from one town to another doing some witch stuff. Written, from what I’ve seen so far, in understandable language.

Also seems to be quite popular (has been in top 10 in このライトノベルがすごい! ranking for three consecutive years).

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Looks easy to read
  • Main character is a witch (people like witches here, right?)
  • Consists of short stories (may be a con for some people)

Cons

• Pricey (compared to other light novels)
  • Little character development due to episodic nature of the stories

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

5 Likes

Re. 本好き, any of the schedules are fine by me since I’m still not sure if I’ll be reading it. I’ll go with the flow and refrain from influencing the decision in case I drop out.

2 Likes

Apparently slow speed is now tied for medium speed anyway. What are your thoughts @Azmo? I can post the schedule I came up for the slower pace tomorrow to compare to the others.

In my opinion, the slower schedule is much simpler (and better) than the medium options because it has the best of all the medium speed schedules all in one. I think the benefits of easing into the advanced book club to gauge the process far outweighs the alternative of going faster to save one week.

Slow sounds like a good idea for those reasons, especially since this is our first book. Is there a specific date we have in mind to start?